What's new

Add Mimics for more depth to Treasure Hunter experiences!

Mimics have been a part of Ultima Lore since some of the very first games. They're a classic fantasy monster and I would love to see them in Outlands, where I've seen so many amazing staff created monsters already.

How they would work:
% chance to spawn randomly as any recently reset dungeon chest or even T-Map chest. They function as any normal chest as they need to be unlocked and disarmed then upon opening they attack!! They're a difficult monster to kill with very strong physical attack but no magic ability and plenty of HP (they're a metal/wooden chest after all, they can take a beating from traditional weapons). Upon death they carry the traditional loot for that chests level + additional gold and chance at a rare item, including an extreamly rare chance at a "Mimic Chest" drop which functions as storage and decor.

This would add an extra, simple layer to lockpicking and dungeon delving templates and encourage some to think outside the "box" ;) in terms of additional offensive skills in their template to take on the rare spawning, but also greatly desired Mimic!

https://ultima.fandom.com/wiki/Mimics

I love it. I was thinking about mimics yesterday as well. One thing UO Lostlands does that is neat is have random chests at popular spawns (here I could see it being exploited since its highly populated > people recall around > pick lock > get out). It would be neat to see more random chests spawn from the monsters (or keys for a spawn in their area) at various camps, forts etc on the map and have x chance that they are mimics.

I love it. I was thinking about mimics yesterday as well. One thing UO Lostlands does that is neat is have random chests at popular spawns (here I could see it being exploited since its highly populated > people recall around > pick lock > get out). It would be neat to see more random chests spawn from the monsters (or keys for a spawn in their area) at various camps, forts etc on the map and have x chance that they are mimics.
Why not just leave them in dungeons as you can't recall in/out? And keep them as a low percentage chance making every chest worth opening instead of just the level 7/8's?

I get that here dungeons are designed well. There are some cool designed areas on land too. However on land there isnt alot of interactive content (random paragon are nice). More minibosses (x kills) and treasure spawns are also neat.

Why not just leave them in dungeons as you can't recall in/out? And keep them as a low percentage chance making every chest worth opening instead of just the level 7/8's?
This for sure. As they would have a chance to spawn already for T-maps as well the overland Treasure hunters won't miss out. This would be a big boost to dungeon treasure hunters who want to stay at GM and not worry about having to get skill balls or SS in order to hit those level 6s and 7s. They can hunt 4s and 5s which hardly get touched and still get a potential Mimic