What's new

archery gains are super slow... and arrow recovery is limited

last night while hunting in the woods ... 60 arrows went from 50 to 50.4 archery (3-5 kills)

during that same time stealth and hiding both went up .6 which are both over 80 and were utilized much less

suggestion:
- increase skill gains for slower weapons (hally, bows etc)
- also where my arrows on corpses? please increase the found arrows by 50%. as a real life hunter i find my arrow about half the time and not 5%. thanks!

also, they already have normalized the gains on a weapon, swinging a cutlass, or swinging a hally, while one swings almost twice as fast as the other, you will gain skill at the same rate (ie. the slower weapon has double teh chance to gain).

im still slow going. 600 arrows and 53.6 or so archery or so. 200 arrows got maybe 1 pt in nb dungeon
Yea that's ridiculous. It should be at least twice as fast as any other combat skill cuz it takes materials to gain. Swords was easy af to get to 90+, i think i used one katana. Archery on the other hand, im at 3k arrows just to get from 50-70 and 2500 arrows to get from 70-75. And im in the Ossuary dungeon where the skill gain is higher supposedly :(

Panik8

Journeyman
im still slow going. 600 arrows and 53.6 or so archery or so. 200 arrows got maybe 1 pt in nb dungeon
Yesterday, I roughly gained 0.1 skill every 10 arrows in newbie dungeon, from ~55 (to ~60, so about 500 arrows for 5.0 skill points) and later went to Aegis and after 500 arrows (plus arrows I scavenged), I gained ~3.0 skill points from ~60 (to ~63, so about 600 arrows for 3.0 skill points). I have another brand new Archer sitting at 50 skill, I'll turn off scavenger agent and try to document the exact number of arrows it requires him to get to 70 from 50 in newb dungeon, when I get to it, probably over the weekend.

yikes. im basically at 80/100 gold to arrow ratio keeping me broke lol
Right, Archery certainly is an investment. Personally, I have LJ and Carpentry on alts and all my characters trained from 50 to 70 farming Harpies (and Giant Bats...) in Newb dungeon, for the specific purpose of keeping my Archers supplied with Arrows/Bolts. I'm sitting on 25k feathers and have 5k Arrows, so about halfway to having enough to GM my 3 Archers, if the "20k Arrows required to GM" approximation is correct.

Level to 70 in newbie dungeon on shelter island. 10x bonus there. After that it's whatever. Plan to use about 20k arrows to GM minimum.
20k? lmao that's a wildly low number.

I think what really makes it painful is comparatively the other weapon skills are quite quick and painless to level. You also have the option to macro them in a house to GM over the course of a few days with a small cost of bandages for whatever character you'll be hitting.

I'm not sure if it's possible but removing the arrow use when using training bows against players to allow for in-house macroing would be a great alternative. Keep the skill gain at the same rate but remove the arrow cost (~50K gold if afk macro'd). This would also bring it closer to the other weapon skills training wise.

i gmed it by trapping monsters and shooting them with a training bow, killing one every 9min to keep bonus while watching youtube etc.
if i had to do it again id spar my alt and do a recall to bird macro.

making a LJ with carpentry and 50+ forensics for feathers was definitely a good idea.
you basically get everything for free and with the way smart harvest works you can move your LJ to the next tree while you pvp on your main char.

its not free. your time is valuable.

even if we assume its 20k (im at ~25k in and im only at 91?) its still a significantly higher investment than fencing/macing/swords. thats 30k+ gold. you can likely gm magery with that using the same recall macro strat (but would be able to do it easier since you already have magery in the template, not every archer has that luxury).

expecting people to make a recall macro to re-buff so they can afk macro it is pretty silly when the other 3 you can just whack away at a dude without a care.

its not free. your time is valuable.

even if we assume its 20k (im at ~25k in and im only at 91?) its still a significantly higher investment than fencing/macing/swords. thats 30k+ gold. you can likely gm magery with that using the same recall macro strat (but would be able to do it easier since you already have magery in the template, not every archer has that luxury).

expecting people to make a recall macro to re-buff so they can afk macro it is pretty silly when the other 3 you can just whack away at a dude without a care.
it is free if you do it like me because you only spend 1s to react and move the LJ every minute.
sure, you could now start adding all these seconds together and then make another point about how i have spent time on getting arrows but im done here.

rebuff macros are always good, i dont understand your point, nothing silly about requiring less time and ressources to finish a char.

My problem with all of this is why are we even talking about what is required to GM it? All of the crafting skills are wildly different in their cost to GM them. Tinkering vs Blacksmith vs Carp vs Tailor. Why does everything have to be perfectly equal? Why even base an argument about equality of cost to GM a skill. If you want cheap use macing, swords, fencing or make a lumberjack as reb has said and chop some wood.

I was willing to go with 20k arrows. I have my own proof that it takes more but maybe its just bad RNG? I don't really care. 20k or 30k or 50k. It could be comparable to the other fighting skills.

In any case, your 20k number assumes near 100% uptime on active training buff I imagine? If we get rid of that it would be ~100k arrows, or ~150K gold. As compared to mace fightning which would cost 10? training weapons. so 250g.

While crafting skills have significantly different costs they also bring with it significantly different rewards between them. The fighting skills are roughly balanced amongst themselves, so why not balance training costs similarly? I'd argue crafting skills should also be slightly more balanced among each other but this topic is about Archery which is far less different when compared to the other fighting skills than inscription is as compared to say blacksmithy.