What's new

Artisan Aspect Armor - levelable by crafting please

Yes, same with Fortune needs to be leveable by gathering somehow.

For Artisan: example, how am I going to level it on my 5x 120 crafter (his other skill is 90,1 alchemy so I suppose it's possible to grind it up with greater explosion?)

Come on, it's for player interaction. If we are able to xp without fighting, we'll never know the thrill of clicking on a friend to use a repair kit.

Last edited:
As a dungeon lock picker and crafter, these aspects were great news til I realized I can't even level them up on the character they are actually made for.

Suggestion to solve this whole thing:
- Fortune:
Gain experience when gathering colored materials, weighted based on the material quality. Gain experience when lockpicking or removing trap from a dungeon or treasure map chest, inversely related to the success chance.
- Artisan: Gain experience when crafting something exceptional, with the exceptional chance inversely related to the experience gained (i.e. at 100% chance = no experience), and weighted based on the material quality used.

Side note: I would rather prefer gathering/crafting be an entirely seperate aspect. Especially Fortune competes which will heavily compete with PvM.

Last edited:
I hear what you are saying, but anything that can be leveled while AFK at home in your house crafting is just bad business, no matter the resource sink that it'd create. I like the fortune idea, if the gathering could be done in dungeons, and the picking is only dungeons... But for the Artisan... Need to find a way to add some risk to the equation..

Jack

Journeyman
I hear what you are saying, but anything that can be leveled while AFK at home in your house crafting is just bad business, no matter the resource sink that it'd create. I like the fortune idea, if the gathering could be done in dungeons, and the picking is only dungeons... But for the Artisan... Need to find a way to add some risk to the equation..
I get it on risk/reward. I'd argue that the crafter risks upfront a considerable investment in the hope of someday recovering the cost. Pvm'ers expect crafters to work for tips and then venture out in blessed gear, risking only potions, regs and bandages.

Edit: Artisan armor is both a blessing and curse. To be competitive it is necessary to have it and is another upfront cost.

Last edited:
This is the worst idea i've seen so far. If you do it like this, afk macroing/gathering bots win.

Also, in regards to people bringing up the 5x120 crafter template... Plan ahead, split your crafting skills over your accounts. Not only will you be able to complete more sociaties, but your templates suddenly allows pvm. They clearly made an effort to integrate crafting skills into pvm. As with the armor, there only 1 bonus in regards to crafting, all the rest is pvm as well.

And worst of all, if you allow this - a single 5x120 mule only needs to level once; using the cheapest route while taking advantage of the more expensive skills. As opposed to selecting a profession and dedicate yourself to it.

This is the worst idea i've seen so far. If you do it like this, afk macroing/gathering bots win.

Also, in regards to people bringing up the 5x120 crafter template... Plan ahead, split your crafting skills over your accounts. Not only will you be able to complete more sociaties, but your templates suddenly allows pvm. They clearly made an effort to integrate crafting skills into pvm. As with the armor, there only 1 bonus in regards to crafting, all the rest is pvm as well.

And worst of all, if you allow this - a single 5x120 mule only needs to level once; using the cheapest route while taking advantage of the more expensive skills. As opposed to selecting a profession and dedicate yourself to it.
Yeah except they made this armor after everyone already finished all their characters. So seems really fair to make a character someone spent 1mil to raise not worthwhile because of some expansion set they included.

I think it's reasonable that a person who makes a crafter does not want to have to go and do some very serious PvM, and not on your gatherer either. It's more normal to not have PvM skills on your crafter. Either way, you can just level it first and then remove all your PvM skills once you're done. It hits mostly established characters who can't drop skills easily. I doubt most people care about min/maxing society jobs. AFK bots are an entirely different problem, not sure how it ties into this, someone who is AFK resource gathering and manages to get away with it will be able to benefit regardless of wether or not they have aspect armor, and AFK bots won't be seen using the gathering aspect that's for sure.

Jack

Journeyman
I think it's reasonable that a person who makes a crafter does not want to have to go and do some very serious PvM, and not on your gatherer either. It's more normal to not have PvM skills on your crafter. Either way, you can just level it first and then remove all your PvM skills once you're done. It hits mostly established characters who can't drop skills easily. I doubt most people care about min/maxing society jobs. AFK bots are an entirely different problem, not sure how it ties into this, someone who is AFK resource gathering and manages to get away with it will be able to benefit regardless of wether or not they have aspect armor, and AFK bots won't be seen using the gathering aspect that's for sure.
Absolutely right on each of your points.

Outlands has done dozens of things right. Artisan suit is not one of them.

Last edited:
Absolutely right on each of your points.

Outlands has done dozens of things right. Artisan suit is not one of them.
I have another thread that is complaining about how lumberjacking/mining isn't good for PvM anyway. You're not going to bust out a pickaxe in the dungeon for anything, and it only adds 25% damage, which is the same as tracking/forensic. There is never a reason to pick lumberjacking over tracking. Tracking is superior in every way. My point is, that it rarely makes sense to have a skill like lumberjacking/mining on a PvM character because there are much easier and more useful alternatives.

I would either say we need an alternative way to XP up the armor, or some of the other things need to be buffed warranting them to be included in a build. I am 100 mining on one of my characters and I'm about to drop it for tracking, because mining is worthless.

I'm a pretty dedicated harvester/crafter, and before I created my guys, I came up with a plan based on everything Outlands and their unique skills have to offer. Forcing a gathering skill onto a primarily PvM character was NEVER a good idea, and should never have been part of anyone's master plan. However, adding PvM skills to a Miner you were already going to create (because you like to mine and craft) offers unique opportunities rarely found in the freeshard universe. My harvesting and crafting skills are spread throughout my characters so I could take advantage of their unique gifts. My Tailor is turning out to be a pretty good archer, my carpenter is a beast with a club, my lumberjack swings a pretty devastating axe, etc. They are all tailor-made the way I planned from the beginning. If this were any other shard, I might have considered sticking all of the crafting skills onto the same character who sits at home or the bank all day, but that is NOT how I wanted to play on Outlands, and I'm really enjoying the hell out of it.

I just crafted my (probably one and only) set of Artisan armor and very much look forward to leveling it up.

ALL of that being said... I would certainly like to see some sort of mechanic built into leveling the gear that ties into gathering and crafting specifically. The trick will be to find something that can't be exploited, because if there is a way at all to exploit and cheat... some UO dickhead will find it. If a solution can't be found... I'm perfectly fine with that. :)

Jack

Journeyman
I take Owyn's thumbs up as "What you see is what you get." Outland's staff is not obligated to provide what players want. They're providing a free sandbox to play in. However, if one eyed jacks are wild cards in the poker game, it should be announced before the cards are dealt, not after players have chips in the pot.

Looks like people complaining here who have all the crafting / gathering skills in one character.

Why should the new Aspects ever be able to be macroing up by Craftern? Bcs how should a 5xCraft GM Char in later leveled armor make PvM later? I mean 5x Crafting GM, so there is not much left for fighting skills. Think a step further. And then you also need hiding. If PKs want to kill you the Artisan Buff Bot.

It is endgame content for groups. And you want to Macro this up? Very bad idea.

But seriously. People selling Moongate homes for millions, or just vendor spots, are sure to find it easy to build an extra char for the new Aspects. And it will not be boring.

It should be really hard to level such powerful armor.
I would like to see that as a real rarity on the shard.

I take Owyn's thumbs up as "What you see is what you get." Outland's staff is not obligated to provide what players want. They're providing a free sandbox to play in. However, if one eyed jacks are wild cards in the poker game, it should be announced before the cards are dealt, not after players have chips in the pot.
The game will evolve, and change, and new content will always arrive, that will rub someone the wrong way, won't be able to appease how they built their character, and that's alright. You can't please everyone. We WANT the game to continue to evolve. Suggesting that changes should be announced before people play is asinine, your suggesting they have a fully planned out road map, and have that announced prior to a person ever stepping foot into Avadon, and that they never deviate or improvise, or never come up with anything new? How dull and boring would that be? We want new content, we want them to continue to breath life into their world, our world.

Unless someone devises a way to level the gear without being able to exploit it (read afk macro), and provide some amount of risk while leveling it, so they can't do it from the safety of their home, I don't see any reason to change it.

I understand thé fact that thé devs have not à full road map. Thé problem is many crafters I m talking to feel that they have to pvm à lot to be able to craft what they want.
At the beginning I was quite pissed about that but that s rule on this shard so I acceptéd it
But now we have to reroll if we want to be able to lvl up thé Artisan gears. I can reroll my dexxer, np. It will just take time and I ll earn gold. But rerolling à crafter is really à time and gold sink.
Of course thé devs can t allow for thé artisan gears to be lvled afk macroing, it wouldn t be fair towards pvmers.
But there is some ways to avoid that : lvl after a certain type of color, skill difficulty...
I already said that but I feel thé game play experience is build from à pvmer point of view. Why not as pvmer are certainly thé majority of players but crafters deserve love too.

I would like to say to Owyn and Luthius that you can feel that I m a whining bitch as I only speak when I m not happy. In fact I m french so it s somewhat true but I really love Outlands and I think all players should be able to enjoy thé game thé way they want to play it. For now lot s of crafters are quite frustrated. Why pvmers don t have to craft 120000 Iron gorgets to be able to wear aspect gears. After all, as many said, you can use crafting skills in pvm template. Why crafters would have to fight if they don t like that game play then ?

I would like to say to Owyn and Luthius that you can feel that I m a whining bitch as I only speak when I m not happy. In fact I m french so it s somewhat true but I really love Outlands and I think all players should be able to enjoy thé game thé way they want to play it. For now lot s of crafters are quite frustrated. Why pvmers don t have to craft 120000 Iron gorgets to be able to wear aspect gears. After all, as many said, you can use crafting skills in pvm template. Why crafters would have to fight if they don t like that game play then ?
Come up with a suggestion for crafters to be able to level the artisan gear, without PvM'ing, that you can't sit in your home, and afk macro it? Because that's the challenge. What activity would be appealing to a crafter to do, in order to level this gear?

I have no skin in the game here, as while I'm a crafter, I don't do a craft that can make use of this gear. But one scenario I can think of - aspect forges in dungeons - do your crafting in these forges, to gain experience for your artisan. Yes there will be some mob spawn, and yes you can be PK'd and lose your stock.. Which makes it far less abuseable than AFK macroing in your house, but as a 5x crafter, you could feasibly bring him into this dungeon, level it up while others clear the spawn for you, working as a team...