What's new

Artisan Aspect Armor - levelable by crafting please

Yes there is à chance. I just bought 67 avarhide for 27k. I missed thé chest 3 times (was in corpse creek fyi) and I don t have a full suit. With better except bonus, maybe I would have.
27k is more than I earn on my vendors à day.

I don't see why we can't have both. Level it by PvM or by crafting. I don't agree to the derogatory term of calling a fully specced crafter a "mule". It's a proper character that some people probably spend more time on than their PvM equivalent. As I said, leveling it by crafting is extremely expensive. There's no free ride here. Also, the gathering aspect (fortune) suffers the same problem, I want to level it by gathering and not PvM. Gathering is a full time job to level your skill and get resources - anyone who has been mining knows this. If I spend a month leveling my aspect by PvM instead of gathering, to get the gathering buff, there's something just wrong with that. And for those buzzing about the PvM buffs of crafting skills - anyone who has played beta will realize they were just slapped on for a bit of flavor, there's not a great deal of thought put into the PvM buffs or any underlying masterplan behind it all.

The point they're making is that you don't need to have all the crafting skills on one character. You can save 2-300 points for some combat skills and fight in a group (I know you loners hate that) to level your gear.

Why would we have to pvm ? Why pvmers are not obligate to have a crafting skill then?
For Christ sake. I already had to raise hide and stealth when city bonus is corpse creek. If you don t want full crafters, forbid it.
You make thé template you want and I make mine for crafters. As a lot of crafters are full crafters it s just unfair for us.

What if tomorrow devs décidé à tamer needs to have 120 tailor to xp their command gears ? They should have seen it coming bécause tailor has great bonuses for players wearing leather armors ?

It s just à joke.

And I m not à loner. I m in a crafting guild and I make dungeon runs with my friends to harvest hides. A loner is someone who don t pvp or pvm as much as you are ? Come on...

Luthius

Developer
Staff member
I'd honestly probably be ok with setting up an option for players to earn XP for Artisan Aspect through crafting and Fortune through doing Treasure Maps and Dungeon Chests.

The rates would have to definitely be lower / slower than for standard farming when it comes to crafting / dungeon chests since you arent risking as much as players actively farming are.

Also there would have to be an Arcane Essence burn chance for crafting and doing chests (similar to how it gets burned for dealing damage to creatures) so it wouldnt be a completely free way to gain Aspect XP for those types.

Aspect Gear, functionality speaking, is intended to be "Adventuring" gear. And while crafting in theory doesnt normally lend itself to adventuring, since the server's beginning I've been trying to promote players making "adventuring" craftsmen and craftswomen through the PvM bonuses granted by crafting skills.

And the Artisan Aspect, while it does improve Exceptional crafting chances, the bulk of their bonuses are intended to be bumps to the PvM-related elements possible by the template and to encourage crafting players who support an adventuring group (through repair kits and the artisan weapon effect buff).

I think a seperate system apart from the Aspect system would be better suited to providing unique bonuses to crafters when it comes to the actual act of crafting (which, admittedly, for most players is simply done by hitting a looping macro for several minutes and isn't the most "active" gameplay, which Aspects are meant to encourage)

I think a seperate system apart from the Aspect system would be better suited to providing unique bonuses to crafters when it comes to the actual act of crafting (which, admittedly, for most players is simply done by hitting a looping macro for several minutes and isn't the most "active" gameplay, which Aspects are meant to encourage)
This seems like a good idea.

I think removing the harvesting and exceptional chance bonuses and replacing them with something more PvM related with those two sets would be appropriate also. I have no idea how this new system would function though.

I'd honestly probably be ok with setting up an option for players to earn XP for Artisan Aspect through crafting and Fortune through doing Treasure Maps and Dungeon Chests.

The rates would have to definitely be lower / slower than for standard farming when it comes to crafting / dungeon chests since you arent risking as much as players actively farming are.

Also there would have to be an Arcane Essence burn chance for crafting and doing chests (similar to how it gets burned for dealing damage to creatures) so it wouldnt be a completely free way to gain Aspect XP for those types.

Aspect Gear, functionality speaking, is intended to be "Adventuring" gear. And while crafting in theory doesnt normally lend itself to adventuring, since the server's beginning I've been trying to promote players making "adventuring" craftsmen and craftswomen through the PvM bonuses granted by crafting skills.

And the Artisan Aspect, while it does improve Exceptional crafting chances, the bulk of their bonuses are intended to be bumps to the PvM-related elements possible by the template and to encourage crafting players who support an adventuring group (through repair kits and the artisan weapon effect buff).

I would say there is nothing free about leveling it on a crafter. It's extremely costly to just craft items for no gain (it's gold flushed down the toilet). So making it beyond excruciating would defeat the purpose of even letting crafters level it by crafting. But I appreciate that you can consider it.

Also regarding fortune, do not forget to add that it should be levelable by gathering. Gathering is something you do actively out in the open world, it takes a huge load of time to level up your skills beyond 100, and it's very risky in regards of PKs. So nothing wrong with letting people level it by gathering. It won't be a shortcut to get your free fortune aspect levels. Fortune is actually what I have the biggest issue with. You can't possibly level your gatherer beyond 100 skill and PvM at the same time - they both require your full time play. But a crafter could in theory both craft and PvM at the same time, since using up materials doesn't take that long (but collecting them do).

Last edited:
I would say there is nothing free about leveling it on a crafter. It's extremely costly to just craft items for no gain (it's gold flushed down the toilet). So making it beyond excruciating would defeat the purpose of even letting crafters level it by crafting. But I appreciate that you can consider it.

Also regarding fortune, do not forget to add that it should be levelable by gathering. Gathering is something you do actively out in the open world, it takes a huge load of time to level up your skills beyond 100, and it's very risky in regards of PKs. So nothing wrong with letting people level it by gathering. It won't be a shortcut to get your free fortune aspect levels. Fortune is actually what I have the biggest issue with. You can't possibly level your gatherer beyond 100 skill and PvM at the same time - they both require your full time play. But a crafter could in theory both craft and PvM at the same time, since using up materials doesn't take that long (but collecting them do).
To be fair, every gatherer I know has a script that does the job for them 100%, that halts at captchas, and just watches the screen half assed, often they are running 2 accounts gathering while playing a 3rd, or running 3 accounts while watching a movie.. What's active about that?

To be fair, every gatherer I know has a script that does the job for them 100%, that halts at captchas, and just watches the screen half assed, often they are running 2 accounts gathering while playing a 3rd, or running 3 accounts while watching a movie.. What's active about that?
I don't believe you are correct overall. It's active in the sense that you can't do it AFK. You're allowed to PvM on several accounts as well, and that can also be done semi-automated and half arsed. Gathering is about as active as PvM is in many cases.

That would be fair if you opened the server with the crafter Aspect gear and people built crafter/adventurer.

The fact the artisan gear came out after people had made a crafter character some with multiple 120 skills makes it difficult to now have some combat ability so you can level up your aspect gear.

I would like to see leveling artisan gear via crafting items.

Rydia

Journeyman
For the "gatherers" why not level up their armor when they gather in dungeons, making Mt Petram and so on minable, etc.

For crafters... eh who knows. I can't really see a way to add risk to what they do warranting the huge aspect bonuses the same way it adds risk (well you can die and not wear it for some time) to pvm templates.

So sick and tired of the common thread that people spin.. "the fact that x came out after y, means you can't have z"

The reality is, there's always going to be someone who is disadvantaged due to a change here, or there, changes are made for a couple of reasons, one to find a balance (if your template gets nerfed, so be it, it's for the greater good), and one is to add new content, to try to keep a balance between classes & playstyles, and providing some fresh and fun. Let's try to avoid stopping progress, because we are rubbed a little the wrong way by a change being made, that is in intention with the best interests of the shard as a whole, and start to focus on solutions...

I can see a couple of solutions here - that Luthius has already touched on:
  • chance to gain when doing tmaps / dungeon chests
  • chance to gain when you harvest special materials (keep in mind this is done near 100% automated by most)
  • chance to gain when crafting with special materials (again done near 100% automated by most - however requires the resources)
Also - perhaps others suggestions that have been given provide a ton of synergy with this idea, that would help those 120 crafters come to grips with the fact their templates aren't really as intended for these suits.

http://forums.uooutlands.com/index.php?threads/could-outlands-ever-see-osi-soulstones.1369/

The ideas talked about in the above thread are a dono Soul Skill Book, allowing you to retain a level in a skill by deactivating it, and picking up another skill (on a cooldown), allowing you to level all skills eventually. This would allow these 120 crafters to pick up some combat skills, level their artisan/fortune gear, and then switch back to the builds they are currently playing.