What's new

Change to Chain Links

I feel like the link unlocking mechanic is lazy. I think a more engaging mechanic would be for mobs/bosses/chests to have a small chance to drop a "link fragment" where you need 5 link fragments to unlock your first link, 10 for your second, 15 for your third, etc... The fragments should be droppable, which will be a cool new entry into the economy. I think it would lead to a new thing for players to do what they like to do to earn money and still participate in the link system without the grind. IDOC money, Tmapping, playing the market, etc... However you make your money you can purchase links from other players to unlock chains instead of grinding out 85 million gold, which will burn some of us out.

I'd propose the people who already have links unlocked get grandfathered in and keep them, but to continue they will have to find "link fragments"

i feel like i never will even find one so i like this idea. so far only tamers/bards/pks/summoners i know have them and maybe t12 aspect dexxers. i am still t5 void so maybe in a year i will feel different and that is cool too.

having a more introduction entry level to aspect and chains may be good them a steeper curve to upgrade.

@oroechimaru There's multiple ways to get links - whether it's bosses, lore bosses, or just society quests - I've got two societies at 600 points, and while I have a mastery chain, I haven't pulled the trigger on two gold links because honestly, they aren't making you that much more powerful.

In terms of lazy design, while I'll agree they are a grind, but you have to actually play to unlock the slots, and play to get the links themselves, I think playing should be encouraged. Adding an element where they can just buy prev coins, sell them, and then buy fragments, to make an end game character is poor design in my eyes.. I do love economy type items, but thats where the links themselves come in.

Prev coins is one avenue that maybe few would take, but I'm not sure how favorable that exchange rate would be? I just like to see people able to play the game in multiple ways to participate, not just grinding it out in a dungeon. It will take me 5 years for my dexxer to unlock these chain links because my GPH is so low. But I do a lot of bosses and treasure map content. Right now that doesn't contribute much to unlocking links, but I think it should.

Some people right now are setting up heal scripts to sit in a corner of a dungeon and auto-kill the nearest mob semi-afk. The current system favors them. It's ripe for exploit and can be cumbersome to enforce (poor Owyn). I think an item based approach would alleviate that a bit. You don't see people AFK farming command cores, too rare, too risky, too unreliable.

There are a lot of chains out there you could get. Ship damage for example... That template has garbage GPH, but if the items drop in the hulls of ships, maybe they can participate too. Just a thought, wanted to hear your guys' opinion. The forum isn't frequented much like discord. Thanks for your opinions. We've come a long way since Oroe was complaining about tracking nerf I suggested ; )

maybe all activities should have a small chance (paragons etc) and if we ever see random miniboss spawns or harder tmaps (wave spawn) those too.

as much as id love to buy stuff directly with prev this may be too powerful of a feature

People are buying full links with gold which means the whole thing is prev coin purchasable currently isn't it? The only issue is there probably isn't quite enough demand for prev coins to support the massive cost of links. Wouldn't link fragments be the exact same situation? In the end, it keeps this amazing server running anyway and has zero effect on PvP.

I took the OP suggestion as a means to remove the XP required portion for link unlocking, not the gathering of the links themselves.
The gold links you can buy, but you still have to grind out the XP, if you could also buy link fragments to unlock the links to put the gold links in, then essentially you could buy our way to 25 chain links (yes it'd be expensive), instead of having to play the game to get there.

I took the OP suggestion as a means to remove the XP required portion for link unlocking, not the gathering of the links themselves.
The gold links you can buy, but you still have to grind out the XP, if you could also buy link fragments to unlock the links to put the gold links in, then essentially you could buy our way to 25 chain links (yes it'd be expensive), instead of having to play the game to get there.
Oh ok, I thought it was just about acquiring the links themselves. The other side of the coin is it gets people grinding in dungeons which are more potential targets for his red.

I think you guys are overestimating the amount of people who will suddenly "stop playing" because they can buy links. What are they getting the links for in the first place? To not play? lol nobody is going to blow their entire fortune and RL money to unlock 25 links to sit in their house.

I think just as well you're going to have a lot of people farming gold to buy link fragments. If people are determined to not play the game, they are probably not going to play anyway...