What's new

Could Outlands Ever See OSI 'Soulstones'?

I'm a weirdo on this one but I'd really like to be able to just play one character and switch templates, assuming I've actually worked up the skills.

Add a cooldown and a gold cost or whatever.

I want to play my one name. I want to maintain my leaderboard, achievements, society, aspect levels, etc all on one character.

I also want to play and test multiple different templates and builds. Outlands has lots of really great skills with great potential for experimentation and fun.

Is there a negative I'm overlooking requesting this?

I've already dumped my entire stealth archer template to play mage for a while because I maxed my shadow aspect AND wanted to try a new build and playstyle.

I just wish I could continue to level everything and not just trash it all when I get bored of what I'm currently into.

My idea for awhile that I think would be cool (and it will never, ever happen probably on any shard) is being able to level all of the skills on one character, but only being able to utilize the bonuses and stuff of 7 combat-oriented skills at a time. However, still being able to craft and stuff. Like you could use your 120 blacksmithy you leveled up while using your 720 points of tank mage skills you have enabled, but not receiving any of the nice passive bonuses given by blacksmithy.

That's sort of similar to soul stones, but not really.

Never say never, but we don't have any plans to add a soulstone mechanic.
Sure it couldn't be beneficial for players who want to be completionists on one character?

Could make an awesome gold sink or donation shop item (and we'd need a lot of them). Still have to work the skills up.

-edit

Let me try to add a few scenarios for visualization/example where other players could benefit from this. It's not all necessarily "dump seven skills and pickup seven new ones"

1. Maybe a smith who didn't have fighting skills has 120 smithing and 120 tailoring but wants to go for the cool new Artisan aspect but not waste their tailoring. They could purchase a soulstone to store their tailoring and grind up some fighting skills to play a tanky artisan blacksmith.

2. Maybe a high-level Lyric bard is wanting to see how provocation would be compared to peacemaking but they don't wanna waste all that time it took to get their peacemaking up so they buy a soulstone to store their peacemaking and start grinding up their provocation.

3. Maybe a summoner mage has inscription but wants to drop it for herding or something to see if their farming speed improves. They could purchase a soulstone, store their inscription and start grinding herding to test their new setup and not have to waste their hard-earned skills to do so.

4. Maybe a dexxer using Water aspect has 120 alchemy but wants to dump it for 120 forensic to get more damage and some new loot. Same thing, they may want to just test if the damage increase from forensic would be worth dropping alchemy.

5. Maybe a pure tamer wants to dump their veterinary AND herding and go 5x mage and use snowdrifts for a while and see how they like it.

The possibilities and implications are endless.

Last edited:
@Owyn Check it, here is a genius idea.

Skill Book, just like Skill Scroll Book but it is character bound (binds to first character to load a skill to it, or the character that buys it), cost 100 Prev Coins, allows player the store gained skills in book and pull them back out when they want. Do not bless the book so players can not change skills on the fly unless they want to risk losing a 100 prev coin item. This would be a great item for the completionist that is trying to meet all the in game achievements and level all aspects. Also 100 Prev Coins may sound like over priced but it is a niche item and people can acquire prev coins in game they don't need to pay irl money.

Also ban it from Arenas so a player cannot set skills to 100 and load them to book.

What about the 7x crafter/gatherers who want to grind some artisan xp to min/max?

They literally can't fight anything. What's the solution?

Soulstones.

I actually was against this originally - but @trammie_surprise has surprised me with his suggestion. If you limit the time to change your template to 24 hours, it can't be abused, you can do different activities with the same character, and truly it'd allow those looking to gain achievements, and try other avenues with a character, a lot of lateral movement. And for those of us, who truly like to retain an identity in the game, and not have 9 different characters, it allows us to retain that identity too.

I have a summoner who's build was costly (scribe is in there), I really really want to try some other variations of the build.. But truly how do I give up 200k in costs to raise a crafting skill, so I can try some different variations? The Skill Soul Book. At 100 prev coins (200k current prices) it's a viable gold sink, it gives no advantage to any one character in that they still have a 720 skill cap (after skill orbs), they still have to level up all the skills, and you can only change a template once every 24 hours, it's a truly brilliant design. And the 24 hours limits Arena changes to the template too (though I think you have Arena templates now, so it doesn't much matter).

I guess I should offer up some credit to @Wes Furtive as well, considering he did cover cooldowns/gold costs an everything in his original post :p I'm now with Wes entirely, the completionist in me truly wants to be able to finish everything on one character..

Fitz

Neophyte
I'm pretty new to the shard, this is a genuine question: How do you guys think this might affect player economy? The high price of entry with the proposed prev coin cost would certainly help. But do you think over time enough people would do this that skill balls and aspect crafting mats and other higher end consumables would drop dramatically in price? I'm sure there are other similar considerations I'm overlooking.

I'm pretty new to the shard, this is a genuine question: How do you guys think this might affect player economy? The high price of entry with the proposed prev coin cost would certainly help. But do you think over time enough people would do this that skill balls and aspect crafting mats and other higher end consumables would drop dramatically in price? I'm sure there are other similar considerations I'm overlooking.
With Skill Balls I agree it could have an effect on the skill ball economy in the far future but with Aspect people need to use the mats to create and skill up each aspect no matter what and honestly I doubt anybody wants to have to re-level an entire aspect set to try it on a new character.

I was just having this conversation with someone else, I think the reality is casual players are not going to do skill orbs on multiple accounts, if they do it on one account I'd be very surprised. So in this case i don't think you'd see a drop off, the rich power gamer types are still going to 720 all accounts, especially with their PvP accounts.

In regards to skill scrolls, I think players who are pushing for achievements would end up using more across one character now, than they would across multiple accounts, mainly because they won't lose the skill if they change it, where as in the current scenario, while you could 120 on 3 characters, at some opint you'll max out, and not likely drop the skill, to try a different one.. (though you never know with power gamers).

I think in regards to aspects, in this case you can run all 12 aspects on one account, and try/dabble in everything, where again, you aren't likely to do that across all your accounts - unless you are a hardcore power gamer..

I don't really think this will have a huge impact on special mats, it may actually have a positive effect, because the more causal player would never complete this much stuff, but for the completionist powergamer, this could actually get them buying more of everything across multiple chars, in order to complete achievements. I do think some consideration to achievement rewards might have to be taken into consideration, because you can GM 40 skills for free, and i believe achievement rewards could get abused that way..

I think its a good idea the only thing is... peopel who already have done more than one Characters right now + Aspect Gear on multiple accounts will rage, because they spend more time in all this toons than a player on one character. I mean you basically need to raise a skill one time and if you have done it you put it on a Soul Stone and switch from template to template like you wish. I'm pretty much sure the debate will end like a tamer discussion.
Mimimi i spend more time on my tamer than you on your dexxer.

Last edited:
There are a lot of good ideas in this thread. I'm in a situation right now on my main where I want to level my artisan aspect but it's near impossible with my build. I don't want to drop any 120 crafting skills just so I can pvm to level my aspect. My build is 120 Smith, 120 Tailoring, 120 Carpentry, 120 Tinkering, 100 Mining and 100 Magery. I never had any intentions of leveling aspect with this character until artisan came out. I don't have many options, I will probably have to drop mining for med and maybe even drop one of my crafting skills. It would be nice if we could max say a total of 10 skills per character but only have 700 or 720 skill points active, so we could swap them. This would be a really good idea for a gold sink, I know I would be all for it.

Just was thinking about this,

I finally GM'd forensic eval yesterday and now i'm debating on changing it for a very easy to macro skill to experiment my damage / certain fight scenarios.

Being level 8 in aspect is the reason i just don't start a new character to test new builds.

Rydia

Apprentice
Just was thinking about this,

I finally GM'd forensic eval yesterday and now i'm debating on changing it for a very easy to macro skill to experiment my damage / certain fight scenarios.

Being level 8 in aspect is the reason i just don't start a new character to test new builds.
You can test these things on test center.

I'm not a fan of soul stones because I think should be a reasonable expectation that characters dont magically switch templates all the time and while the grinding part of macroing and training may be annoying to some, without it I think people would be bored too quickly and have less to work towards in terms of template creation and such.

I would be for the skill book idea. I have a few reservations though. Once you open this door will this be the end of it? Thats always the problem with this kind of thing. I would be allright with it, provided there were an absurd number of limitations on its use, xfer etc. I would also prefer if it was done, that skills could only be changed once a week, for example - and its costly to do or use charges that cost alot to recharge etc (gold). I like the one character only (exclusive) idea. But to me, any transferables anyone can use it etc... Excuse for saying this but, f that. Why? Becomes a pattern of lets give away this lets give away that, it'll ruin things sooner or later.

The other reasons for the expense is that 'power gamers' will always eventually get enough gold etc to do what they want to do. However if you put a tough or expensive limit on it, then lets say your Wes and want to try three different new ideas etc etc. Ok fine, he can save up the gold for what it takes to do that, knowing what it is. Then he does it, great! If everyone was as conscientious as him I'd probably be a bit more lenient - but they arn't - some people will try to exploit the %@%@% out of this which is why I'm for a harsher tone if this is ever done at all.