What's new

Damage Bonuses

So with every other skill on Outlands giving some kind of damage increase, I believe it would be useful to have an overview of exactly what each bonus does.

As I understand it, some skills utilize additive damage bonuses, while others are based on multiplicative damage bonuses.

Examples of additive bonuses are for instance Anatomy (+20%) and Tactics (+50%). The bonuses are added together into +70%, and then added to the weapon damage so that it would deal 170% of base damage.
Examples of multiplicative bonuses are for instance Discordance (I'm not sure if it is). So in this case you would take the 170% damage from above and multiply by 1.25, giving 212.5% of base damage. If it was an additive bonus the total damage would be 195% of base damage.

So based on the skills and special effects below, could you please run through them and point out which ones are additive and which ones are multiplicative Luthius ? And did I miss any?

Anatomy: Increases weapon damage by (20% * (Anatomy Skill / 100))
Archery/Fencing/Mace/Swords(Special Attack): Increases damage by 50%
Arms Lore (Disarm): Additionally, creatures (but not players) that are Vulnerable are 25% easier to hit with attacks and take +50% more damage
Camping: A player visiting a secure campfire site that they created themselves receive a melee and spell damage bonus against creatures of (20% * (Camping Skill / 100)) for the next 10 minutes
Discordance: Discorded creatures takes (25% * (Discordance Skill / 100)) more damage from all sources
Eval Int: Increases spell damage against creatures by (50% * (Eval Int Skill / 100))
Forensic Eval: The maximum total bonus that can be gained against each Slayer Type is 15% * (Forensic Eval Skill / 100)
Herding: Focused Aggression damage bonus against creatures is (20% * (Herding Skill / 100))
Inscription: Increases spell damage against creatures when casting off scrolls by (20% * (Inscription Skill / 100))
Lumberjacking: Increases damage with Axe weapons against creatures by (20% + (Lumberjacking Skill / 100))
Magery (Charged Spell): Charged spells deal an additional 50% to the target
Mining: Increases damage with Macing weapons against creatures by (20% + (Mining Skill / 100))
Tracking: Players receive a (20% * (Tracking Skill / 100)) damage bonus against their currently tracked creature target

Luthius

Developer
Staff member
Campari said:
So with every other skill on Outlands giving some kind of damage increase, I believe it would be useful to have an overview of exactly what each bonus does.

As I understand it, some skills utilize additive damage bonuses, while others are based on multiplicative damage bonuses.

Examples of additive bonuses are for instance Anatomy (+20%) and Tactics (+50%). The bonuses are added together into +70%, and then added to the weapon damage so that it would deal 170% of base damage.
Examples of multiplicative bonuses are for instance Discordance (I'm not sure if it is). So in this case you would take the 170% damage from above and multiply by 1.25, giving 212.5% of base damage. If it was an additive bonus the total damage would be 195% of base damage.

So based on the skills and special effects below, could you please run through them and point out which ones are additive and which ones are multiplicative Luthius ? And did I miss any?

Anatomy: Increases weapon damage by (20% * (Anatomy Skill / 100))
Archery/Fencing/Mace/Swords(Special Attack): Increases damage by 50%
Arms Lore (Disarm): Additionally, creatures (but not players) that are Vulnerable are 25% easier to hit with attacks and take +50% more damage
Camping: A player visiting a secure campfire site that they created themselves receive a melee and spell damage bonus against creatures of (20% * (Camping Skill / 100)) for the next 10 minutes
Discordance: Discorded creatures takes (25% * (Discordance Skill / 100)) more damage from all sources
Eval Int: Increases spell damage against creatures by (50% * (Eval Int Skill / 100))
Forensic Eval: The maximum total bonus that can be gained against each Slayer Type is 15% * (Forensic Eval Skill / 100)
Herding: Focused Aggression damage bonus against creatures is (20% * (Herding Skill / 100))
Inscription: Increases spell damage against creatures when casting off scrolls by (20% * (Inscription Skill / 100))
Lumberjacking: Increases damage with Axe weapons against creatures by (20% + (Lumberjacking Skill / 100))
Magery (Charged Spell): Charged spells deal an additional 50% to the target
Mining: Increases damage with Macing weapons against creatures by (20% + (Mining Skill / 100))
Tracking: Players receive a (20% * (Tracking Skill / 100)) damage bonus against their currently tracked creature target
All of these effects are additive with the following exceptions:

Herding: Multiplicative
Discordance: Multiplicative
Disarm: Multiplicative

In the case of Herding, the reason it's multiplicative is that a decent number of pets don't necessarily do their damage by purely melee / spell attacks: it comes from special abilities / poison and other effects that don't go through the standard Melee / Spellcast damage formula chain.

For Discordance and Disarm, they are multiplicative because they affect damage to the target from all sources, so again it bypasses the melee / spell attack formulas and needs to be a generalized damage increase at the tail end of the "damage chain"

All of these effects are additive with the following exceptions:

Herding: Multiplicative
Discordance: Multiplicative
Disarm: Multiplicative

In the case of Herding, the reason it's multiplicative is that a decent number of pets don't necessarily do their damage by purely melee / spell attacks: it comes from special abilities / poison and other effects that don't go through the standard Melee / Spellcast damage formula chain.

For Discordance and Disarm, they are multiplicative because they affect damage to the target from all sources, so again it bypasses the melee / spell attack formulas and needs to be a generalized damage increase at the tail end of the "damage chain"
Is this still accurate as of today?

Also, is the effect of multiple multiplicative bonuses still multiplicable, i.e:

100 tactics, 100 anatomy vs. a discorded+peaced and disarmed target:

1 + (0.5 + 0.2) * 1.5 * 1.5 = 257.5% of base damage

or would the disco+peace and disarm multipliers be added together:

1 + (0.5 + 0.2) * (1 + 0.5 + 0.5) = 240% of base damage

Thought I'd follow up this post. Got an answer from Luthius on discord. Multiple multiplicative damage bonuses are multiplicative:

E.g. a disarmed (+25%) and discorded+peaced (+50%) target would take 1.25 * 1.5 = 87.5% more damage

oh i just meant something unique for each one... so pvm templates ofte use anat+2 others for bonuses but leave u weak if ganked pvp.

for archery it would be great if something like carpentry reduced the speed by 20% at gm. its not so fun shooting/missing and dying to every pk casting a few spells lol.

for the others maybe some new perks to make pvm templates more defensive. idk