What's new

Defending fun pets from evil PK's who are sad they cant win 100% of the time (Snowdrifts)

Dear Luthius and Owyn,

Regarding Snowdrifts and Vetron's crying to nerf them...
I'd like to make a case against this nerf - I was probably the first tamer to actually use these and have been running them for about 2 months now. 0ldmanhands has also been using them a lot on his stream and is quite experienced.

There is a common thread here between 0ldmanhands and I - We are both very good at the game and take advantage of a combination between character build, pet/pet build, and more importantly environment in which they are used.

I would ask you guys to watch either of us play with these drifts before making a nerf as I think you will find the pet's are actually in a good (and FUN) spot. I would point out the ability to farm with them is on par with pets around their taming level, they are not as OP in PvP as people are saying compared to many other pet / skill combo's - it has more to do with the skill of the player and less to do with the pets.

An example of PvP - Snowdrifts and other similar pets do a lot better in tight spaces where people get trapped, and much worse in the wide open. I think the small amount of people who are complaining about snowdrifts in particular are actually putting themselves in fail situations to begin with, are still new and inexperienced, and are certainly not taking advantage of the possible counter's to this.

All that said - I ask that you please do not "nerf" an aspect of the game that is currently off the fun charts. I would suggest that you guys actually add a new pet based on all this called the "Sand Drift" - you get the idea lol.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Dear Luthius and Owyn,

Regarding Snowdrifts and Vetron's crying to nerf them...
I'd like to make a case against this nerf - I was probably the first tamer to actually use these and have been running them for about 2 months now. 0ldmanhands has also been using them a lot on his stream and is quite experienced.

There is a common thread here between 0ldmanhands and I - We are both very good at the game and take advantage of a combination between character build, pet/pet build, and more importantly environment in which they are used.

I would ask you guys to watch either of us play with these drifts before making a nerf as I think you will find the pet's are actually in a good (and FUN) spot. I would point out the ability to farm with them is on par with pets around their taming level, they are not as OP in PvP as people are saying compared to many other pet / skill combo's - it has more to do with the skill of the player and less to do with the pets.

An example of PvP - Snowdrifts and other similar pets do a lot better in tight spaces where people get trapped, and much worse in the wide open. I think the small amount of people who are complaining about snowdrifts in particular are actually putting themselves in fail situations to begin with, are still new and inexperienced, and are certainly not taking advantage of the possible counter's to this.

All that said - I ask that you please do not "nerf" an aspect of the game that is currently off the fun charts. I would suggest that you guys actually add a new pet based on all this called the "Sand Drift" - you get the idea lol.

Thank you.
Yeah... all skill bro....

*rolls eyes*

Snowdrifts are 100 skill pets.
Pets that are slightly lower in skill (90's) are almost as good as Snowdrifts.
Pets that are higher in skill (110+) are better than Snowdrifts.

ViolentBeard - Can you clarify what you mean by "far far too strong". And have you used them before?

As a guy running around PKing people with snowdrifts: they're definitely OP. I've done plenty of PvM with them too.

5 pets doing 5 breath attacks straight into 5 melee hits destroys people + with their regen ability you can EASILY run them with a 5x mage and just taming/lore. While I like the idea of a pet that is viable to run with just taming/lore and 5x mage, they definitely shouldn't outperform other pets too and I've tried all the pets I can at 110 taming.

Nerf!

PS. @Lord Roser - name a 105 or 110 pet combo that is stronger than snowdrifts. I'll gather some data as it's likely I already have good ones in my stable at level 10.

Last edited:
I've watched oldmanhands on his twitch pvp with his snowdrifts.
2 hotkeys.

1 - Para
2 - all kill

Repeat.

no explo no ebolt nothing exciting, not even a magic arrow for good measure.
Thats not pvp... :/

they definitely shouldn't outperform other pets
Why not? Why shouldn't there be a range of pets with some being more desirable than others, or better at certain things than others?

Snowdrifts are more difficult to obtain than other pets in their range because there's so much competition for them, and they're more expensive (or next to impossible) to buy leveled up. That's how UO has always been and it gives people something to strive for. If all pets are equally lackluster there's nothing to strive for and playing a tamer gets less and less fun. I had given up on my tamer, but when I heard about the snowdrifts I got interested again -- now I know not to bother because they'll get nerfed before I even get a chance to try them, just like every other pet that was any good.

As a guy running around PKing people with snowdrifts: they're definitely OP. I've done plenty of PvM with them too.

5 pets doing 5 breath attacks straight into 5 melee hits destroys people + with their regen ability you can EASILY run them with a 5x mage and just taming/lore. While I like the idea of a pet that is viable to run with just taming/lore and 5x mage, they definitely shouldn't outperform other pets too and I've tried all the pets I can at 110 taming.

Nerf!

PS. @Lord Roser - name a 105 or 110 pet combo that is stronger than snowdrifts. I'll gather some data as it's likely I already have good ones in my stable at level 10.
First of all, there is a reduction in the chance drifts can use their special attack in pvp - so when you say 5x breath wep + 5x melee you are embellishing bigtime.

Second of all, the fact that you are asking me what pet combos are better at higher taming indicates to me that you have not actually spent much time researching and observing other pet combo's.

Lastly, I am only even still using snowdrifts because I have not gotten to higher levels of taming. Ageis leech is great, Corpse purgers, Komodos, Husk crabs, Black cats, and the list goes on - you gotta get out there and try new things. The server is still so young and there are so many things to find out about - try to just relax a bit and use your own problem solving tools instead of demanding staff does it for you.

Thank you,

Roser

Last edited:
Second of all - the fact that you are asking me what pet combos are better at higher taming indicates to me that you have not actually spent much time researching and observing other pet combo's.
Haha... alright, whatever you say man. After all you are "very good at this game" and I'm just some trash nub, I forgot. I was asking what pet combos you thought were better at higher taming because you're the one who thinks they exist, not me.

I already have all the obvious answers (for 110 taming at least) well stated in my stables at level 10. ie. Eldritch Drake+Arboreal Wisp, Aegis Scorp+4 imps, Arboreal Wisp+Reef Serpant, Smoke Drake+Arboreal Wisp, 2 smoke drakes, 2 ember drakes, etc. I'll agree with you about one thing: Snowdrifts are a fun pet. Because hey, being OP is fun. There are even people in this thread essentially flat out saying they quit their tamers until they realized how OP snowdrifts are.

As far as the pets you listed:

- Husk crabs aren't higher taming OR better
- Komodos are meh
- Corpse purgers have already been nerfed in pvp MULTIPLE times already
- I admittedly haven't tried an Aegis leech but I will and report back. Black cats are above my taming level atm though

Last edited:
There are even people in this thread essentially flat out saying they quit their tamers until they realized how OP snowdrifts are.
That's not what I said. You guys toss around the word "OP" way too lightly. Considering that every other pet I've tried has been 100% useless at protecting me in any way, and so weak they're not even very good for pvm if you don't add in a weapon skill, I was excited to try a pet that wasn't depressingly lackluster so I could maybe have fun with my tamer for a change. None of that translates to "OP."