What's new

Faction Struggles - Small Improvements

Faction Struggles are a ton of fun right now. I haven't been a part of 20v20 fights probably since OSI, and I'm having a blast doing them again. That said, I think some small improvements can help make them even better:

1. Hued Field Spells. It would be extremely helpful if field spells in faction struggles were hued green/orange for friendly/enemy.
2. Credit for Healing, CC, and Utility. Currently it makes a lot of sense to never spend mana on x-heals, paralyze, para field, or dispelling enemy fields, as that's mana that could be spent towards offensive spells to increase your potential faction point gain. Getting credit for these acts would encourage more team-focused game play.
3. Re-examine 1CP Maps. 1CP maps are the least enjoyable part of faction struggles for me right now. I don't think I've ever seen one flipped from whoever caps it first.
4. Clear Heat of Battle at Match End. You often have to wait 1-2 minutes at the end of a match to recall out of the faction base.
5. Test 3CP Maps. Currently 2CP maps heavily encourage turtling. You can capture one point, and if the other team attacks then you still gain points even though their entire team could be contesting, which also leaves the attacking team vulnerable. 3CP makes it so you can't have your entire team defending one point when you're ahead, and at a minimum forces guarding two points.
6. Immunity to Self-Fields. It feels really off to me that my team is immune to fields that I cast, while I'm not. It adds a trade-off to casting fields, but I don't think it's a fun tradeoff.
7. Additional Reminder 5 Minutes Prior to Faction Struggle Start. 30 minutes out is a long time for people playing the game actively. It would be helpful to send out another reminder at 5 minutes prior to the match start. (From Kilgu here http://forums.uooutlands.com/index.php?threads/faction-struggle-announcement.1503/)
8. Rotate Mounted/Non-Mounted Struggles. This was the original intention, and I'm sure it's on staff's radar. Technically, mounted/non-mounted rotates every other faction struggle. However, when the number of daily struggles was changed from 3 to 6, mount-status became static for each time slot.

Last edited:
1. not really needed imo. i am not super opposed to it but not having to realize which field spells belong to which team / not having to communicate those spells does lower the skill ceiling (a little).

2. the whole scoring system could use a rework. the fact that you need the killing blow to get credit for a kill makes it completely RNG in those big fights. and as you said, healing does not get any points.

3. agree
4. obv, yes
5. i agree that 3 capture points would be nice. especially during times with extremely high player numbers.

2. the whole scoring system could use a rework. the fact that you need the killing blow to get credit for a kill makes it completely RNG in those big fights. and as you said, healing does not get any points.
You currently get points for doing damage to the target, it's not based on the killing blow... With that said, I'd love to see healing, and other support abilities get some love, if I throw a poison down, which could be crucial to success, I get nothing for it.. if I throw a field spell down, I get nothing for it... Even if I weaken (which effectively reduces HP by 11), I get nothing for it.. Basically it's energy bolt, or nothing.... Mostly I want to be recognized for my healing prowess though.