What's new

Game Mechanics - I like everything except these two things... (Repenting + HOB)

Repenting = easy street for reds. The murder penalty system compared to classic T2A "stat loss" is basically the biggest cake walk ever. Probably the best fix is to just remove repenting.

Heat of Battle and the restriction on gate/recall - Innocent players should never have to deal with this, again this is another easy street for red/grey players. This mechanic only pisses people off who are innocent and gives a pass to those who would forsake their virtues. Ask around to the right people and I bet you find a consensus on this (don't ask a pk guild obviously). I suggest to remove the gate/recall restriction from Innocent players and let it remain for red/grey/orange.

Innocent players are being burned by this system pretty hard, be it trolled into attacking someone, defending yourself while you make an escape attempt, or a simple mis-understanding from this non intuitive mechanic.

Before I am accused of being a soft trammy here... I will say that I not only have done my share of murder runs (45 kills in my first run), I am an avid pvp'er and have over 100 collected bounties in the past two months. I know shit, trust.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Love from Barry Roser in discord,
Long live The Drift.

Last edited:
I agree as well, especially with heat of battle. If you are on a tamer you can't use pets for increased defense if you plan to leave. For example, 4 reds show up, if you all guard me, you can't use the gate. It's bullshit for simply defending yourself to try make it to the gate. Your choice is try stay and fight 4v1 or try run to the gate and use magery and pots to try not to engage. If it were all 1v1 scenarios, not as big of an issue, but when reds are rolling so deep 3+ min. in group gank squads, it's bullshit.

I think if you have 0 counts, you should be able to use the gate, no limits.

I agree, there is really no risk for pk'ers when ganking a dungeon, and as a single player you simply have no choice
No risk what so ever.....
Things still attack you,
There's a zerg guild of blues ready to roll out and stomp you
When you die you lose regs and maybe some gold
When I die I lose 1.7k even without any short term counts.
We can't use the gates to go anywhere but Corpse Creek which can be camped by blues
We can't recall or gate out for much longer than you if we have more than 1 person attacking you (adds 2mins per pk so your example of 4 reds means they are there for 8 mins at least before they can leave)
And when we die we can't even pk for 1-2 hours depending on long term counts.

But yeah, no risk what so ever.

Stop crying about pks already. We honestly catch maybe 1 out of 10 people in the dungeon, the rest have no problem getting away.

TLDR: git gud!

Coming straight from a T2A server before this, I had to laugh.... Such entitlement.

When you died with more than 20 counts in T2A you either re-rolled a new character, ressed and took -20% to all skills, or waited about 6 days before you could res and play that character again. Imagine more than 20 counts...

My first pk run here was 45 counts and it literally cost me like 8k to res and I was able to fuck peoples day up again within 60 mins.

Cmon dude... lol - Even as a red you must put down your biased stance for one second and think about it... The rules as so lax on Red's here that if it doesn't change it will for sure effect the community negatively. And this is coming from a PK (former pk since they reset all my counts for free one day).

No risk what so ever.....
Things still attack you,
There's a zerg guild of blues ready to roll out and stomp you
When you die you lose regs and maybe some gold
When I die I lose 1.7k even without any short term counts.
We can't use the gates to go anywhere but Corpse Creek which can be camped by blues
We can't recall or gate out for much longer than you if we have more than 1 person attacking you (adds 2mins per pk so your example of 4 reds means they are there for 8 mins at least before they can leave)

But yeah, no risk what so ever.

Stop crying about pks already. We honestly catch maybe 1 out of 10 people in the dungeon, the rest have no problem getting away.

TLDR: git gud!
You that bad bro, with four people you only kill 1 in 10? I can kill people solo, that means I'm as powerful as 8 orcs, at least!

Orcs were never the elite pvpers, we're actually quite trash yet somehow you scrubs still die to us. My point in saying 1 in 10 is that it's not that hard to get away if you actually do something instead of standing around like a deer in headlights. No amount of code other than full trammel is going to fix that.

I
Orcs were never the elite pvpers, we're actually quite trash yet somehow you scrubs still die to us. My point in saying 1 in 10 is that it's not that hard to get away if you actually do something instead of standing around like a deer in headlights. No amount of code other than full trammel is going to fix that.
I think there are some practical steps to take prior to full Trammel. Right now, things are a bit skewed, little risk for pking especially in groups. I think pking should be used, but rolling in a group of 6 is just kind of a gank.

Many here are presupposing that you should be able to farm on your own, referring to pk gank squads as a problem. I'd say it's rather a reason for adapting to the situation; maybe gold shouldn't be that easy to get, that you can farm single-handedly and escape easily. Maybe farming in groups should be the ideal instead of doing it alone? Sure u can go single but it adds risk.

OP is 100% correct.

In response to these criticisms Luthius said in discord: "In my opinion its a classic part of UO: having to decide whether to attack someone if you see a grey or red."

I would say that mechanics that punish innocents for trying to fight, while giving an advantage to criminals and griefers, pretty much eliminates the whole "having to decide whether to attack" dynamic by making it so clearly stupid and pointless to ever attack that there's really no decision to weigh.

Any blue on a farming character is already at a huge disadvantage when it comes to their chances of actually winning a fight against someone that's geared and spec'd for pking. Why punish them for making an attempt that is likely futile but would at least be more fun than just standing there dying without putting up a fight.

No one is forcing you to fight, just run like 9/10 people do. And I agree that maybe you should farm in groups. Just an idea, but I know how you trammies hate anything rational.

Grenade - No trammel please, but thanks for the suggestion. Also what harsh penalties are you referring to? Did I not just lay out how the penalties are a total cake walk in comparison to an actual historical example that was extremely popular?

Franz - Less philosophy and more practicality please. I am not talking about reinventing the wheel here - I just want to remove the turd in the salad bowl, nothing major.

One more thing to add - Any type of pvp restriction be it from repenting (3 days) or from dying as a red (1 hour) Is simply annoying and doesn't work well in practice. You are telling people to go play another game when you do that, because this one is on time out.

So to recap my suggestions...

1 - Remove Repenting
2 - Exempt innocent status players from HOB travel restrictions
3 - No more game time outs (aggression restrictions are bad and cause people to not play for at least the duration of the restriction, or simply dodge the system by playing a second or third account)

Thank you all for your comments have a great day,

Roser

Last edited:
Master Rose, I exclaim: What! Philosophy is the foundation of all, the feet upon which we stand, all practicality flows from it! Simply focusing on the practical is but fighting the ever errupting flames instead of the heart of the issue! *smokes pipe* "Ah, yes... Something like that, aye!" Ask chumbucket even!

But to the matter, didn't I suggest that single farming shouldn't be as easy? That's a very practical implication of my philosophy! ;)

It's already a cake walk for blues on this server. Being able to instalog mid battle on your house steps when you're at 20% HP and logging back in 2 mins later with 100%HP is pure bullshit. Currently I'm at 52 long term counts and when I died to my own guildmate being stupid and accidentally killing me I had to pay 8k to rezz and sat around for 2 hours playing another character.

You've successfully prevented me from PKing for 2 hours, rejoice. what more do you want? insta character deletion on death? Just ask for trammel already, you are killing the server, not the wolves.