What's new

Game Mechanics - I like everything except these two things... (Repenting + HOB)

Hey, I'm quite new here but I'd like to weigh in on this as it is a pretty large potential problem if certain play styles are too heavily punished.

I've been on the server now for nearly 2 weeks and have yet to be killed by a red, I've ran into quite a few and one tracked and revealed me one time while I was taming but never attacked me, so it seems to me that the disincentives for reds are working. One could argue that me a mere lonely noob being ignored by groups of reds is evidence that perhaps they work too well.

Back in the original UO days I always wondered why there wasn't a system in place to allow good blues to hunt bad reds as a sort of police force.
On this server there is the camping system which can put waypoints on the screen to known locations, why not use something based on this sytem to help blues hunt active reds using forensic evaluation and tracking on a victim's corpse?

Last edited:
Please stop using Trammel as a buzzword to ridicule one side of the argument. It could be argued that PKs are seeking their version of Trammel where they can murder with impunity.

Reds are a good part of the game; they can keep things interesting but they can also drive players away until there's no one to kill.

Personally, I feel the current mechanic forces an individual to make a decision too rashly. You should be able to flee after attacking and gaining more info of the situation. I get that the idea is to encourage confrontation, but I'd be curious to see how this plays out (envious of Expo's abilities). Knowing a farmers motivation is gold, and that his template is outmatched for PvP, I tend to think he would run without much decision. Knowing he can test the water before jumping in might make him more likely to engage.

I think reds should be able to attack and then flee too. No recalling, just remove HOB from gates for everyone (except thieves; no one likes thieves).

My suggestion would be no time outs, remove HOB from gates, and just hit their wallets and let them keep playing. 200ish gold is laughable. Increasing the repent fee (1000? 1500? 2000?!) and distributing a large percent of that to those involved in a players death would encourage people to seek and kill PKs.

And if you can't afford it you're a bad PK and don't deserve the right to PK.

Lastly, thanks for the great shard. Been having a lot of fun and just hoping to keep the good times rolling.

It's already a cake walk for blues on this server. Being able to instalog mid battle on your house steps when you're at 20% HP and logging back in 2 mins later with 100%HP is pure bullshit. Currently I'm at 52 long term counts and when I died to my own guildmate being stupid and accidentally killing me I had to pay 8k to rezz and sat around for 2 hours playing another character.

You've successfully prevented me from PKing for 2 hours, rejoice. what more do you want? insta character deletion on death? Just ask for trammel already, you blue piece of garbage are killing the server, not the wolves.

The original developers and every metric we've seen has proven Trammel saved UO, despite what the reds like to keep claiming.

Over 70% of new players were leaving shortly after purchasing the game, and the game was no longer sustainable. Trammel dropped and the player base doubled and grew or stayed consistent until AoS.

These pre Trammel free shards always go through the same pattern. Huge hype initially, lots of fun, then eventually they die because the vast majority of players don't like getting griefed and harassed.

I think reds should be able to attack and then flee too. No recalling, just remove HOB from gates for everyone (except thieves; no one likes
Unacceptable thief discrimination! I for one love thieves, even when I'm the victim! Yesterday I even congratulated one of them little rascals for stealing my prized valewood qstaff. I agree gating should be allowed, but obviously for thieves also!

Unacceptable thief discrimination! I for one love thieves, even when I'm the victim! Yesterday I even congratulated one of them little rascals for stealing my prized valewood qstaff. I agree gating should be allowed, but obviously for thieves also!

Fair enough.

What's the gripe with stealing anyway?
The noto system around thieves has me a little confused, admittedly. But removal of the thieves guild removes the ability of an uninitiated innocent player to probe for thieves by attempting to steal from them. That, combined with a disguise kit where you can pick your own name gives them a considerable advantage... which I think balances with the lower rate of stealing success. Overall I think being a thief would be a lot of fun, just get out of the towns and into the dungeons.

Fair enough.

What's the gripe with stealing anyway?
The noto system around thieves has me a little confused, admittedly. But removal of the thieves guild removes the ability of an uninitiated innocent player to probe for thieves by attempting to steal from them. That, combined with a disguise kit where you can pick your own name gives them a considerable advantage... which I think balances with the lower rate of stealing success. Overall I think being a thief would be a lot of fun, just get out of the towns and into the dungeons.
Woah, someone on the internet that simply agrees? This calls for a celebration! On the gripe of stealing, that's off topic!

Heat of Battle when blues attack reds was the main thing I wanted changed instead of this last round of murderer penalty increases. 3 reds running at you in level 3 of a dungeon is plenty "aggression" for you to be able to defend yourself without HoB penalty.

Heat of Battle when blues attack reds was the main thing I wanted changed instead of this last round of murderer penalty increases. 3 reds running at you in level 3 of a dungeon is plenty "aggression" for you to be able to defend yourself without HoB penalty.
Is that really how HOB works?
If so surely something is a little broken there...

Surely only the aggressor in combat should be stopped from escaping?

P.S. I'm still new enough that I haven't actually experienced HOB, just read about it on here but I don't like the sound of it if this is how it works.

Is that really how HOB works?
If so surely something is a little broken there...

Surely only the aggressor in combat should be stopped from escaping?

P.S. I'm still new enough that I haven't actually experienced HOB, just read about it on here but I don't like the sound of it if this is how it works.
If reds are running toward you, and you attack them first to force a defensive response, then you are seen as the aggressor and cannot flee.

Your choice is wait to be synced on or run.

Just add Trammel for these guys already!! Enough pvpers have already left this server because of the harsh penalties to pking. The game will not last if you have all sheep and 0 wolves.
What type of scrub would leave because of harsh penalties (not harsh)? Good luck finding an alternative, bye.

Things still attack you,
Oh thats bad. PKs should have free walk, while mobs and blues have a timebreak.

There's a zerg guild of blues ready to roll out and stomp you
far-fetched

When you die you lose regs and maybe some gold When I die I lose 1.7k even without any short term counts.
Well thats a little gold.

We can't use the gates to go anywhere but Corpse Creek which can be camped by blues
Blues camping coprse creek? I dont know this.

We can't recall or gate out for much longer than you if we have more than 1 person attacking you (adds 2mins per pk so your example of 4 reds means they are there for 8 mins at least before they can leave)
Waitn 8 min? Woah.

And when we die we can't even pk for 1-2 hours depending on long term counts.
(With this ONE char)

Just add Trammel for these guys already!! Enough pvpers have already left this server because of the harsh penalties to pking. The game will not last if you have all sheep and 0 wolves.
Bullshit - nobody has left the server bcs of this. Not even a single player have PK chars only ! This comment comes from the joke-corner "if u nerf us the server will die :p"

That's the most annoying part of the whole PVP system here. Easily. And the "reset my murderer" button is almost as bad. 3 days is very very short to reset a murderer char.
Especial if one player can have a bunch of them on the server. Lets calculate with 2 farm-tamers and one other blue - a badass can have 12 PK Chars !

You've successfully prevented me from PKing for 2 hours, rejoice. what more do you want? insta character deletion on death? Just ask for trammel already, you are killing the server, not the wolves.
Oh that again.

I've been on the server now for nearly 2 weeks and have yet to be killed by a red, I've ran into quite a few and one tracked and revealed me one time while I was taming but never attacked me, so it seems to me that the disincentives for reds are working. One could argue that me a mere lonely noob being ignored by groups of reds is evidence that perhaps they work too well.
Simple other scene: A player (on his blue) seen u buying stuff on playervendors (or he thinks uve bueyd something). He logs to his red and kills u for getting this stuff.

Last edited:
Seku, aggression restrictions are account wide. Maybe you should try playing a red before you ask for changes to the system.
And yes, 1.7k for being rezz killed at the healer is a lot of gold, its annoying as fuck, and does not make any player want to play nice. It makes people rage and take it out on newbies, scorch and salt the earth, and then log out to play something else.

What if we flip the tables and everytime someone dies to a red they get a 1 hour penalty from performing beneficial acts? How quickly would you lose your shit over that?

Sry, dont knew this one thing. Well then my though was only 1/3 or 2/3? right (3 accs).

If u get agressions while playing, well then....

(resskill is not part of the system we talking about - so not argue with that too)

If u rage on newbies, well then...