What's new

How do you deal with PKing

Be prepared for it. If your going to fight/run doesnt really matter. Bring pots for sustain, and trapped pouches to escape paralyze/stun. If your a dexxer, hamstring is great for escaping.

clx

Apprentice
Sorry to hear that, Muddy. My first piece of advice would be in choosing the location that you hunt. If PKs are ruining your experience in dungeons, then Outlands - like no other UO server in history - has fantastic overland spawns where you have two huge advantages over people who wish to kill you. 1. A mount 2. Recall.

Apologies if you know all the below already, but I'll type it anyway in case it's of use to someone else.

1. Carry a rune to safe location in your backpack. Town, your house, wherever. Before you go out, bind to a key a macro that casts either the recall spell - if you have enough magery - or a recall scroll (200 gold well spent at the NPC scribe if you don't know a player scribe that can make you one), and targets your safe rune. Hit this macro as soon as you see red or grey names. If they catch you unawares and are on you before you can use it, you can still cast it if you time it right. Often you'll be able to cast it if you're being cast upon or hit, if you time it right. See the red going for an ebolt? Hit your recall macro. You're out of there.

2. Equip properly. Buy up around 1,000 gold worth of survival items. It's money well spent, especially if you save it exclusively for encounters with reds. You should also carry around 10 trapped pouches (25 gold each) at all times. Bind these to a macro. If you use UO macros, a say macro for [pouch. If you use steam, a macro that says msg '[pouch]. You should carry some heal and refresh pots (buy from NPC alchemists for now). A teleport scroll bound to a key for emergencies is also money well spent. I'm sure this is obvious, but always be on a mount.

3. Consider hiding on your template. It might seem like a waste of skill points, but it's a fantastic skill for escaping reds. Initially, you'll just use it to run and hide. Once you improve, you'll use it to lure your would-be killers into an area of nasty spawn. You'll get a hide off, and as the spawn begins dropping mana on your enemy, you pop out of hiding and finish them. You'll be happier than you ever thought gaming could make you.

4. Don't panic. stay calm, watch what they are doing and casting. Their mistakes will often give you plenty of room to escape or turn the tables on them. The most key skills in UO are awareness and knowledge. If you're aware of what's going on around you, you can turn the environment to your advantage. If you know the area you're hunting in better than they do, you can put them into a ton of trouble, or simply escape through a route in which they aren't aware.

5. Have a support network. The real joy of UO is with friends, even though the trend these days seems to be for people to play solo, there is nothing more rewarding than group-based achievements in this game - and having back up to call in to to turn the tables on PKs is something you will love!

Good luck and don't be disheartened. You're playing on probably the best server - ever - of undoubtedly the best game in history. Enjoy it! Once you get past this stage a whole world of opportunities will open up for you.

If you need help with some good overland locations to hunt, you can message me here or in discord.

The real answer is to just accept that it will happen every now and then and stick it out. You die for various reasons and lose your gear all the time, PKs or Mobs or Blue Looters. The best is just to keep at it and go back, or go to another dungeon - you'll always come out on top as a farmer in terms of skills and loot gathered.

I have only been pked by HERO guild (blues) when I accidentally looted a corpse they stole a kill from me on.

The dungeons have a healthy amount of blues (newb level only for me) roaming in.

Most of them time they travel in groups and you'll get overrun before you have a chance to respond, likely being at lower health or having a mob or two already attacking you. They'll have paralyze and poison and explosion all precast. So you are probably screwed if they come across you.

Best thing is just make lots of trips to the bank and unload all your loot as much as possible. That way you don't feel like crap dying with more than a few k of gold on you.

Trapped pouches from the provisioner are a must have as well, paralyze is usually the opener in a gank. Set a macro to open in UOSteam or razor

i wish there was something new/immersive for anti para... trapped pouches was always lame to me.(arms lore to counter traps or some random skill like begging lol)

Although being pk'd is frustrating I'd take it any day over Trammel. I can foresee that pking will definitely go up as people get more established. I forget if there is some sort of faction system here (I assume there's something like it), that will likely help move some of the pvp to that eventually.

I have only been pked by HERO guild (blues) when I accidentally looted a corpse they stole a kill from me on.

The dungeons have a healthy amount of blues (newb level only for me) roaming in.
If you did not have looting rights and went grey it sure sounds like you were the one here stealing. We do not random PK at all. But we also will not be hamstrung by game mechanics and just let theives and griefers have a free pass. Loot our mobs. You are gonna get attacked. Lure mobs on us with clear intent, you are gonna get attacked. Talk a ridiculous amount of trash, you are going to get attacked. We are the good guys for sure, but we are not suckers. Walk in the light friend, and you will be welcome around us.

If you did not have looting rights and went grey it sure sounds like you were the one here stealing. We do not random PK at all. But we also will not be hamstrung by game mechanics and just let theives and griefers have a free pass. Loot our mobs. You are gonna get attacked. Lure mobs on us with clear intent, you are gonna get attacked. Talk a ridiculous amount of trash, you are going to get attacked. We are the good guys for sure, but we are not suckers. Walk in the light friend, and you will be welcome around us.

your guildmates came up and stole my kill. i didnt see the system message. went gray and sorry 10x. then they killed me and said "i dont like u" then the other hero member was talking crap in broken english. oh well that is life in up but those are no heroes.

well i dont lie (in game ibolay a good character and in real life it is against my beliefs) :)

they were talking odd maybe it was just lazy keyboarding . nbd but they killed me and were jackasses about it with shit talking. im over it but its not hero like. the next day a bug was fixed that would give someone kill rights for last hit that did major damage. at the time I fought something for 10min and they swooped in last hit and stole the kill.

me being new and first time out of newb island didnt know there were such things as blue vs grey monster corpses especially after doing 90% of the damage (bug is fixed).

take care, heros should be more john snow and less mountain.

Last edited: