What's new

How do you deal with PKing

It ruins my experience altogether. Doesn't help that I'm practically a sitting duck, still leveling up skills.
When I first played UO 20 years ago, getting PKed sucked. But it also added an element of excitement that does not exist on so many other MMO'S.

I most recently came from Elder Scrolls Online, and on that all PVP is consensual. The problem is, people can still fuck with you, you just cant attack them unless they agree to a duel. And even then there is no looting.

This means you are completely unable to punish someone if they want to mess with you. It also means there is no element of fear or excitement when you venture out. As a result ESO never lived up to UO. It felt lifeless in a way.

If you just cannot stand being PKed, then honestly UO isnt for you and it shouldn't be changed to suit you. That kind of stuff is what ruined OSI UO.

It's not like it's just you who gets Pked. Everyone does. You just need to prepare accordingly.

Join a large guild/make friends
Be prepared to recall/have hiding skill
Be ready for a fight with pots and trapped bags, etc.
Carry little of value with you and make constant drops.

And more. There is loads you can do.

Not possible skill wise with some gold farming templates.

Pots help
All of those things help and resisting spells is a fine gold farming skill. When you absorb a spell you store up to 250 damage and you have 5 minutes to use it. Pouches obviously help against para ganks. Potions help, even you agree to that. Hiding/Stealth are PvE skills on here in more than one way, be it through playing a lockpicker, or a backstabber. And wrestling.. well.. it's a skill a lot of mages choose to have, even PvE mages. It'll keep ya from gettin dunked when ya go to recall in the overland.

As others have said, potions and pouches are your best friends. A couple hundred gold worth of preparation will save you a lot of money in the long run. Those escape ropes are also incredibly helpful here, even on mages. I think the lack of GM tailors has kept the price of them high, but I expect them to be dirt cheap soon enough. They're not expensive to make.

Awareness is the other key to surviving. Make a note of the escape gates, plan your escape, and position yourself somewhere where you'll see reds before they can get into range. Other players are your friend, even if they aren't with you. Be a step ahead of them and they'll be the first target, giving you plenty of time to escape.

Make note of certain blue players or blue members of guilds. Certain ones have a tendency to call in their red buddies and wall of stone for them after they know you have a decent amount of loot on you. Keep your distance from them, stay a little closer to the escape gates, or go somewhere else when you see them hanging around.

How do you deal with reds? I offer them a deal they can't refuse. I make their job easier and drop my gold on ground. Reds are always in a hurry and plus that saves them time to PK and loot someone else instead of dealing with me + wasting regs.

Getting pkd isn't that a big of a deal for me. It's the griefing pks that bother me. The ones who res kill and dry loot for no reason, other than be a dick.

Got pkd last night, he looted my gold and items of course but ressed me after and went on his way. That's etiquette. Now if you have a bad history with whom pkd you, you might get griefed, but getting griefed by a random can be very vexing.

Thats a easy one.

When you die, your loot is no longer yours, it now belongs the person or people who killed you, so need to go back, hence no res killing!

No if you decide to go back, thats more on you then on them now isnt it ?:p

How do I deal? I mount their severed heads on spikes above the gates of New Trinsic.
We need more Jack's and less 2018 safe space dwellers.

I remember Trin rolling 10 deep on UOF and taking swift vengeance against us!

Unfortunately as it stands, there are harsh pk penalties for everywhere but corpse creek, meaning pks will be less inclined to fight 3v10 etc. Let us hope for some statloss free (or unpaid UOF type death restriction) dungeons with end game pvm content to fight over! And some mounted dungeons with larger areas would also be appreciated!

I'm glad to see Trin here, hat's off to my friends in New Trinsic.

We need more Jack's and less 2018 safe space dwellers.

I remember Trin rolling 10 deep on UOF and taking swift vengeance against us!

Unfortunately as it stands, there are harsh pk penalties for everywhere but corpse creek, meaning pks will be less inclined to fight 3v10 etc. Let us hope for some statloss free (or unpaid UOF type death restriction) dungeons with end game pvm content to fight over! And some mounted dungeons with larger areas would also be appreciated!

I'm glad to see Trin here, hat's off to my friends in New Trinsic.
All in due time, shardis still in it's infancy

clx

Apprentice
^^^

It's very easy for people that have been playing solidly for the last few years (ie, UOF guilds) to tell people how they should be playing. A lot of people are returning after years and years away from the game and needing to relearn the basics, as well as a new assistant like Steam, as well as all the Outlands specifics. They aren't thinking about anything beyond that for now.

Sorry to hear that, Muddy. My first piece of advice would be in choosing the location that you hunt. If PKs are ruining your experience in dungeons, then Outlands - like no other UO server in history - has fantastic overland spawns where you have two huge advantages over people who wish to kill you. 1. A mount 2. Recall.

Apologies if you know all the below already, but I'll type it anyway in case it's of use to someone else.

1. Carry a rune to safe location in your backpack. Town, your house, wherever. Before you go out, bind to a key a macro that casts either the recall spell - if you have enough magery - or a recall scroll (200 gold well spent at the NPC scribe if you don't know a player scribe that can make you one), and targets your safe rune. Hit this macro as soon as you see red or grey names. If they catch you unawares and are on you before you can use it, you can still cast it if you time it right. Often you'll be able to cast it if you're being cast upon or hit, if you time it right. See the red going for an ebolt? Hit your recall macro. You're out of there.

2. Equip properly. Buy up around 1,000 gold worth of survival items. It's money well spent, especially if you save it exclusively for encounters with reds. You should also carry around 10 trapped pouches (25 gold each) at all times. Bind these to a macro. If you use UO macros, a say macro for [pouch. If you use steam, a macro that says msg '[pouch]. You should carry some heal and refresh pots (buy from NPC alchemists for now). A teleport scroll bound to a key for emergencies is also money well spent. I'm sure this is obvious, but always be on a mount.

3. Consider hiding on your template. It might seem like a waste of skill points, but it's a fantastic skill for escaping reds. Initially, you'll just use it to run and hide. Once you improve, you'll use it to lure your would-be killers into an area of nasty spawn. You'll get a hide off, and as the spawn begins dropping mana on your enemy, you pop out of hiding and finish them. You'll be happier than you ever thought gaming could make you.

4. Don't panic. stay calm, watch what they are doing and casting. Their mistakes will often give you plenty of room to escape or turn the tables on them. The most key skills in UO are awareness and knowledge. If you're aware of what's going on around you, you can turn the environment to your advantage. If you know the area you're hunting in better than they do, you can put them into a ton of trouble, or simply escape through a route in which they aren't aware.

5. Have a support network. The real joy of UO is with friends, even though the trend these days seems to be for people to play solo, there is nothing more rewarding than group-based achievements in this game - and having back up to call in to to turn the tables on PKs is something you will love!

Good luck and don't be disheartened. You're playing on probably the best server - ever - of undoubtedly the best game in history. Enjoy it! Once you get past this stage a whole world of opportunities will open up for you.

If you need help with some good overland locations to hunt, you can message me here or in discord.
Well...Sounds soooo idylic.... That is not the reality for most of us... and its taking the joy out of what in theory is a great server . for starters I LOVED Trammel, like many many others we play to relax , NOT for the adrenalin rush . Its being touted on many threads that Trammel kills a game . Errr.....no, it kills the sociopaths.. and they are the minority. I get killed most days solo, I get killed regularly in a group . It goes like this sociopath appears casts paralyse, cast deadly poison, i fight , recasts im dead. in a group? The 4 horsemen of the socipaths appear we do our best , 2 seconds later we are all dead. great fun and a gaming experience for the sociopaths I just feel like i have had 3 cups of coffee and am shaking. nah not such a great experience. and so , little by little my joy and my friend's joy of the server dies.

Well...Sounds soooo idylic.... That is not the reality for most of us... and its taking the joy out of what in theory is a great server . for starters I LOVED Trammel, like many many others we play to relax , NOT for the adrenalin rush . Its being touted on many threads that Trammel kills a game . Errr.....no, it kills the sociopaths.. and they are the minority. I get killed most days solo, I get killed regularly in a group . It goes like this sociopath appears casts paralyse, cast deadly poison, i fight , recasts im dead. in a group? The 4 horsemen of the socipaths appear we do our best , 2 seconds later we are all dead. great fun and a gaming experience for the sociopaths I just feel like i have had 3 cups of coffee and am shaking. nah not such a great experience. and so , little by little my joy and my friend's joy of the server dies.
The GREAT Myth.....Trammel killed UO..........err......NO UO added Trammel becasue the majority were fed up with the lawlessnes of Felucca. UO did not get rid of Felucca they left it up for the sociopaths result ?.......it became an empty wasteland as we voted with out feet and moved to Trammel. and I guarantee you that unless a
trammel equivalent is set up in this server there will be mass migration too

Sal I completely sympathise with what is happening to you and your friends. No one plays a game to be 'bullied' - which is what it feels like when you're killed over and over by people talking shit as they do it. Eventually you just stop logging in and play something enjoyable instead. However, when people say Trammel killed UO, we mean it killed the feeling of 'original' UO - the game was altered completely, communities split down the middle, and Felucca left as a wasteland. I would actually have had no issue with some kind of Trammel being introduced in 2000 - if it had been a new landmass, with lowered loot/rewards. Making it an exact mirror was a ridiculous decision and it did kill the game for many of us.

The 4 horsemen of the socipaths appear we do our best , 2 seconds later we are all dead. great fun and a gaming experience for the sociopaths I just feel like i have had 3 cups of coffee and am shaking. nah not such a great experience. and so , little by little my joy and my friend's joy of the server dies.
hahaha that made me laugh.

i can understand how that feels and having played both roles, the one of the aggressor and the victim i can give one advice:

if you cant deal with the adrenaline rush and you really have no interest in ever trying to find this excitement in uo then youre in the wrong place on a felucca shard.

but give it a chance because once i stopped fighting the excitement and just went with it i learned to become calmer, fight after fight.
eventually it becomes like a controllable drug and one that not even all these battle royale games can match.

adrenaline is good for fighting a bear in the woods but completely works against you when you have to make the right decisions or press the right buttons at the right time in a videogame.

take your friends and go murder someone, embrace the brutality, its not sociopathic in the end, just a part of human nature.

adrenaline is good for fighting a bear in the woods but completely works against you when you have to make the right decisions or press the right buttons at the right time in a videogame.
So that explains it! I'm not one to get upset about dying in a game but I do get that burst of adrenaline and I think you're right, it clouds your thinking. Usually I end up doing nothing and just sitting there watching the screen go grey.

Part of the issue is that years of playing on servers with blessed runebooks has trained me to hit my escape macro when I see red, but here, none of my characters are even able to recall and I make so little gold farming I can't afford to bless a book. So I just accept that death is inevitable if anyone attacks. Gets pretty boring after a while, I find myself logging in less and less.

ouch.. i feel like doing an experiment, ill play your bodyguard, free of charge.
the only thing is im red so that means after some time half of the dungeon will try to jump me and then youll be on your own for a bit.
in the end we can finish off by murdering someone together, hit me up on discord if you wanna go.
nothing to lose but satisfaction of curiousity.

To those of u that think its great fun to kill someone who has been farming for 30 min. to an hour and take their gear( which means never having any good defensive armour) AND because the only way to farm succesfully means to be defenseless against sociopaths that feel the pleasure of 'I can so I will' and 'who cares how u feel its only a game right?' Might is right and I am a lion and u a sheep ready for slaughter.
I say: treat others the way you would like to be treated, if you override your feeling of empathy for other players you will end up with a gold sociopathic star and when u look in the mirror u will feel ...... either nothing or if there is any humanity left ....probably self loathing .

Which is another way of saying I could never kill other players who can not really defend themselves. and have absolutely no interest in upseting others in such a manner, because my humanity is important to me.

To those of u that think its great fun to kill someone who has been farming for 30 min. to an hour and take their gear( which means never having any good defensive armour) AND because the only way to farm succesfully means to be defenseless against sociopaths that feel the pleasure of 'I can so I will' and 'who cares how u feel its only a game right?' Might is right and I am a lion and u a sheep ready for slaughter.
I say: treat others the way you would like to be treated, if you override your feeling of empathy for other players you will end up with a gold sociopathic star and when u look in the mirror u will feel ...... either nothing or if there is any humanity left ....probably self loathing .

Which is another way of saying I could never kill other players who can not really defend themselves. and have absolutely no interest in upseting others in such a manner, because my humanity is important to me.
While I agree in premise, as I'm not a player killer myself, I think you may be laying it on a little thick mate...
This is still a game, one with no claims that you'll always be safe from harm...