What's new

Installing and playing UO Outlands in Linux

billy:

an older problem I had forgot I needed to fix has been corrected in the howto. install the winbind package:

sudo apt-get install winbind

This might help you.

EDIT: Oh yeah, MacOS...haha...i dunno, try to find winbind? :) It's part of the samba software suite.

I got the game running but I'm still not getting any sound unfortunately. I'm getting this error in the shell "0067:fixme:msacm:modSetVolume stub" I'm on fedora. Any ideas?
You probably need to prefix the wine command with "pasuspender"; unfortunately, no other sounds can play while UO Outlands is using the sound.

Hey, Ive been trying to get outlands working on mac, I wonder if anyone in this thread can help me.

I have wine, wine stable, wine bottler, and crossover (lmao) to work with. I managed to get the classic client and steam working so far. I have winetricks, I've tried running with dotnet. I have a full install of outlands already inside of the virtual drives program files folders. Ive tried running from wine stable terminal which doesn't work either.

If I open outlands on steam i get an anim.mul error.

If I open the UO Outlands icon i get a return 255 error.

If i put everything in a wineskin, when I double click the skin no window appears, just the wine skin icon appears on my app bar. I've tried all sorta different settings for this. there is a last run log option in wineskin and these are the errors I get.
err: plugplay:runloop_thread Couldn't open IOHIDManager.
err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
I've tried looking up fixes for this, but nothing I've done has worked. If anyone has any ideas, let me know! TY!

Hi! We would be very grateful if a step by step manual of how to set up UO Outland on mac OS could be posted. I know that it is not only me who is facing such issue. Thank you in advance.

this seems to have broken for me recently. The launcher stopped working so I tried redownloading it, but now get

wine Unhandled Exception: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Int32 System.Environment.get_CurrentManagedThreadId

Apparently this is a dotnet4.5 function, so I tried installing dotnet452 from winetricks, but that failed with a different error.

Is anyone else having the same issue?

It is no problem running UO itself, just the outlands launcher...it would be nice if there was a manual install option to circumvent it.

Good instructions. Got this working on Arch today.

Had some problems previously with 64-bit versions so I used WINEARCH=win32

1) winetricks dotnet 472
2) wine regedit and added DWORD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics\DisableHWAcceleration = 1 (It did not exist, so had to create it)
3) pacman -Sy lib32-libpulse lib32-alsa-plugins to get the sound working

Merc, I just got the game installed and running on my Ubuntu set up. It took a bit of doing, but your guide was very helpful!

After installing wine, winetricks, and winbind, I installed dotnet on a prefix forcing 32bit.

I ended up having to use dotnet60, after trying 40 and 452.

Also the Razor won't run, the whole thing crashes, but I can run the UO client with the steam helper. Seems to run great too! No trouble with sound or anything. I even got the little intro explaining why there are shards (LOL I played back in '98, '99 and had completely forgotten about that intro!).

I used WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 wine OutlandsUO.exe to install the game.

Anyway just wanted share my experience setting up the game with wine.

Thanks again for sharing this guide.

See you in the Outlands!

Did anyone end up successfully installing and running Outlands on Mac OS?
I’ve tried using some methods as described with previous posts but with no luck. I have wine/winebottler and have tried all dotnet from 4.0 and on.

I did get the old Ultima online classic to work with wine so at least I know wine is working.

I’m sure I’m missing something obvious and hoped someone that figured it out could help me enter into the Outlands.
Thanks in advance.

Did anyone end up successfully installing and running Outlands on Mac OS?
I’ve tried using some methods as described with previous posts but with no luck. I have wine/winebottler and have tried all dotnet from 4.0 and on.

I did get the old Ultima online classic to work with wine so at least I know wine is working.

I’m sure I’m missing something obvious and hoped someone that figured it out could help me enter into the Outlands.
Thanks in advance.
Hi all, I've been running Outlands on Mac along with few other friends now. Razor will NOT work yet, but classicUO has some great build in hotkey functions that should be fine with casual players.

MAC OS METHOD:
1. Get a copy of the Outlands UO Zip folder from a PC user ( waiting for admin to be able to have a direct download zip link, or ask me on discord if no friends can send you a zip from PC)
2. Put the Outlands Ultima Online folder somewhere like Documents folder (ie. user/xxx/documents)
2. Download latest release of ClassicUO : HERE
3. Put the ClassicUO folder in Documents
4. Edit settings.json file so the directory pointing to Outlands UO folder (ie. /user/xxx/documents/Outlands Ultima Online/), also edit IP, client Version to this:

Code:
{
  "username": "",
  "password": "",
  "ip": "play.uooutlands.com",
  "port": 2593,
  "ultimaonlinedirectory": "/Users/xxx/xxx/Outlands Ultima Online/",
  "clientversion": "7.0.15.1",
  "lastcharactername": "",
  "lastservernum": 1,
  "login_fps": 60,
  "debug": false,
  "profiler": true,
  "saveaccount": true,
  "autologin": false,
  "reconnect": false,
  "reconnect_time": 0,
  "login_music": false,
  "login_music_volume": 70,
  "shard_type": 2,
  "fixed_time_step": true,
  "plugins": [
//    "./Assistant/Razor.dll"
  ]
}

5. Run ClassicUO (the file without extension) in your ClassicUO folder
6. Game should launch!

If you have questions feel free to join the official ClassicUO discord channel
https://discord.gg/kqFewK

The channel have smart people that will help you get yours working, just like they helped me :D

I have the Windows patcher working under MacOS High Sierra under wine. I think it will work on later releases as well, I dunno, ymmv. It needs samba and more winetricks to run. I will attempt to write this up, as best as I remember, below. I presume that you're either using homebrew and NOT MacPorts or not using Homebrew or MacPorts at all, and that you haven't installed wine/samba/anything like that using anything but Homebrew -- if you have used a standalone installer, or MacPorts, I'm not sure I can help you. Also, if you already installed Homebrew and decided to configure it to use a custom prefix, go away.

* This is not supported by Outlands staff. PLEASE do not pester Outlands staff about how to use wine.*

1: Install homebrew, wine, winetricks

1a) If you don't already have homebrew installed, install homebrew. Open a terminal, and execute:
Code:
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"
1b) Install wine and winetricks:
Code:
brew install wine winetricks
If you already have wine/tricks installed via homebrew, make sure you update them to their latest versions.

2: Samba

You will need to compile Samba from source.

Question: Do I REALLY need to compile Samba from source? Answer: I don't know. There are various standalone MacOS installers for ancient versions of Samba floating around. MacPorts has a Samba4 package that I don't think installs on modern Mac. I don't know if an ancient version of Samba will suffice for wine, and I also don't know if the installer you're using will install Samba in a place where wine can find it. If you find that you're able to do this with one of these installers, definitely report back to this thread.

I'm going to adapt the instructions from this excellent blog post by Matt Page -- https://medium.com/@mattmatic/compiling-samba-4-on-mac-os-x-high-sierra-24ca6a93a51c . If, for whatever reason, you would like a version of Samba that actually functions, instead of the bare minimum for making Outlands work, check out that blog post and follow his instructions exactly.

2a) Download Xcode from the App Store. If you're using High Sierra, you will need to find Xcode 9.4.1 from Apple's developer website instead.

2b) Open a terminal, run:
Code:
xcode-select --install
sudo xcode-select -switch /Applications/Xcode.app
2c) Make a new folder, somewhere, to build Samba in. Change directory into that folder.
Code:
mkdir /Users/yourusername/arbitrary/path
cd /Users/yourusername/arbitrary/path
2d) Clone Samba git.
Code:
git clone https://git.samba.org/samba.git
2e) Change directory into build directory.
Code:
cd samba
2f) Checkout last revision to work on Mac:
Code:
git checkout samba-4.8.9
2g) Run the configure script with these magic options:
Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr/local --without-ad-dc --without-acl-support --enable-fhs
2h) We need to apply two patches to the source code or it won't build. Actually, I don't know how essential the second patch is, but probably just do it.
Code:
wget -P .. https://willhaley.com/images/compile-samba-macos/nss.diff
git apply ../nss.diff
wget -P .. https://pastebin.com/raw/YxWF4C4y
patch source3/lib/system_smbd.c < ../YxWF4C4y
NOTE: The second patch will give some warning output, such as "(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.) / patching file source3/lib/system_smbd.c
patch unexpectedly ends in middle of line /Hunk #1 succeeded at 205 with fuzz 1" because I don't know what I'm doing. You can ignore this, because, unlike me, the patch program does know what it's doing. Blah, blah, blah.

2i) You are ready to build Samba. It should be as simple as:
Code:
make && sudo make install
However, I found that make would not succeed for me unless I ran it as root (sudo), which is unusual. I don't know if it's a Mac thing or my mistake, but maybe instead try running it with sudo:
Code:
 sudo make && sudo make install
Get a coffee, this will take a while.

2j) It either didn't work and you gave up, or you've done it! This is IMPORTANT: if you ever want to easily uninstall Samba, you need the folder that you built it in. So move the directory that you built it somewhere you don't mind keeping it forever. If you want to uninstall Samba, open a terminal, change into the build directory, and run "make uninstall"

3: Preparing the wine prefix and installing the patcher

3a) First, we're going to create a 32 bit prefix for wine. It can be any directory you want, but it is where Outlands will ultimately be installed. IMPORTANT: Don't make the directory before you run this command. This command should point to a directory that does not yet exist.
Code:
 WINEPREFIX=/Users/you/arbitrarypathtowineprefix WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
A wine dialog box will appear, then a program will open, simply close it after it opens and the wine prefix is created.

3b) Install winetricks
Code:
WINEPREFIX=/Users/you/arbitrarypathtowineprefix WINEARCH=win32 winetricks dotnet472 d3dcompiler_47 corefonts
Get another coffee, this is going to take a while. It needs to download a lot of stuff. When it starts going through the dot net installs, it's going to need to run every dot net installer ever made, and you need to be at your computer to click through those dialogs.

----------

You did it! Maybe. I don't know. The installer/patcher should run now. If you don't already have it, download the installer: https://uooutlands.com/join/

Start the patcher/installer:
Code:
 WINEPREFIX=/Users/you/arbitrarypathtowineprefix WINEARCH=win32 wine /Users/you/Downloads/OutlandsUO.exe
Patch/install the game. To run Outlands in the future, we execute the now-installed patcher, not the installer:
Code:
 WINEPREFIX=/Users/you/arbitrarypathtowineprefix WINEARCH=win32 wine /Users/you/arbitrarypathtowineprefix/drive_c/Program\ Files/Outlands\ Ultima\ Online/OutlandsUO.exe
Huzzah! Honestly, probably just install Linux, that was a lot of work. Also, keep in mind, MacOS is a target of CUO, which is amazing, but if they're going to make a quality product then they need people actually testing CUO.

FPS Patcher will work if you open it with the same wineprefix -- WINEPREFIX=/Users/you/yourwineprefix WINEARCH=win32 wine /path/to/FPSpatcher . UO Mapper -barely- functions under wine -- I think this has to do with wine's implementation of DWrite, and I don't think there's anything anyone can do about it.

Last edited: