What's new

Installing and playing UO Outlands in Linux

billy:

an older problem I had forgot I needed to fix has been corrected in the howto. install the winbind package:

sudo apt-get install winbind

This might help you.

EDIT: Oh yeah, MacOS...haha...i dunno, try to find winbind? :) It's part of the samba software suite.

I got the game running but I'm still not getting any sound unfortunately. I'm getting this error in the shell "0067:fixme:msacm:modSetVolume stub" I'm on fedora. Any ideas?
You probably need to prefix the wine command with "pasuspender"; unfortunately, no other sounds can play while UO Outlands is using the sound.

Hey, Ive been trying to get outlands working on mac, I wonder if anyone in this thread can help me.

I have wine, wine stable, wine bottler, and crossover (lmao) to work with. I managed to get the classic client and steam working so far. I have winetricks, I've tried running with dotnet. I have a full install of outlands already inside of the virtual drives program files folders. Ive tried running from wine stable terminal which doesn't work either.

If I open outlands on steam i get an anim.mul error.

If I open the UO Outlands icon i get a return 255 error.

If i put everything in a wineskin, when I double click the skin no window appears, just the wine skin icon appears on my app bar. I've tried all sorta different settings for this. there is a last run log option in wineskin and these are the errors I get.
err: plugplay:runloop_thread Couldn't open IOHIDManager.
err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Application tried to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.
err:winediag:nodrv_CreateWindow Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.
I've tried looking up fixes for this, but nothing I've done has worked. If anyone has any ideas, let me know! TY!

Hi! We would be very grateful if a step by step manual of how to set up UO Outland on mac OS could be posted. I know that it is not only me who is facing such issue. Thank you in advance.

this seems to have broken for me recently. The launcher stopped working so I tried redownloading it, but now get

wine Unhandled Exception: System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Int32 System.Environment.get_CurrentManagedThreadId

Apparently this is a dotnet4.5 function, so I tried installing dotnet452 from winetricks, but that failed with a different error.

Is anyone else having the same issue?

It is no problem running UO itself, just the outlands launcher...it would be nice if there was a manual install option to circumvent it.

Good instructions. Got this working on Arch today.

Had some problems previously with 64-bit versions so I used WINEARCH=win32

1) winetricks dotnet 472
2) wine regedit and added DWORD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics\DisableHWAcceleration = 1 (It did not exist, so had to create it)
3) pacman -Sy lib32-libpulse lib32-alsa-plugins to get the sound working

Merc, I just got the game installed and running on my Ubuntu set up. It took a bit of doing, but your guide was very helpful!

After installing wine, winetricks, and winbind, I installed dotnet on a prefix forcing 32bit.

I ended up having to use dotnet60, after trying 40 and 452.

Also the Razor won't run, the whole thing crashes, but I can run the UO client with the steam helper. Seems to run great too! No trouble with sound or anything. I even got the little intro explaining why there are shards (LOL I played back in '98, '99 and had completely forgotten about that intro!).

I used WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 wine OutlandsUO.exe to install the game.

Anyway just wanted share my experience setting up the game with wine.

Thanks again for sharing this guide.

See you in the Outlands!

Did anyone end up successfully installing and running Outlands on Mac OS?
I’ve tried using some methods as described with previous posts but with no luck. I have wine/winebottler and have tried all dotnet from 4.0 and on.

I did get the old Ultima online classic to work with wine so at least I know wine is working.

I’m sure I’m missing something obvious and hoped someone that figured it out could help me enter into the Outlands.
Thanks in advance.