What's new

Leatherface's Launch Template Guide

Posting below my recommended templates if you want to get started adventuring right from launch. These aren't end-game templates, but instead the templates you could use to good effect from the start, so they typically have 10+ skills since you can fit them while skills aren't yet 100 (if you reach the 700 point cap, you can start marking skills down arrow as needed, starting from the bottom of each respective list).

None of these builds is very PK-resistant. You can sub in resist or other defensive skills as needed if you want to be safer, but the builds below will farm faster if you don't.

Forensics will significantly increase the amount of hides/meat gained from skinning corpses which in turn supplements your gold farming as a newbie (you can sell meat/hides to vendors). I recommend it on any starting character.

Pure Dexxer
  1. Macing
  2. Tactics
  3. Anatomy
  4. Healing (start at 49 points, train to 50 using training certificate)
  5. Arms Lore
  6. Camping (make a lumberjack on another account to harvest some logs, turn those into boards by doubleclicking hatchet and targetting them, then craft some kindling)
  7. Parry
  8. Forensic Eval (start at 1 point, train to 50 using training certificate)
  9. Tracking (be sure to activate hunting mode)
  10. Blacksmithing (Train to 50 using training certificate)
  11. Mining (Start at 50 points)
Reasons: This build maximizes damage synergies for big hits while also providing strong defense against melee attacks.

Pure Mage

1. Magery (Start at 50)
  2. Meditation (start at 1)
  3. Evaluating Intelligence
  4. Spirit Speaking (Start at 49)
  5. Inscription (Train to 50 using training certificate)
  6. Wrestling
  7. Forensic Evaluation
  8. Tracking (be sure to activate hunting mode)
  9. Camping (make a lumberjack on another account to harvest some logs, turn those into boards by doubleclicking hatchet and targetting them, then craft some kindling)
  10. Tailoring (Train to 50 using training certificate)
  11. Taste identification (spam it on your starting cheese to raise it. Using it on the ground will give you resistance to bleeds/poisons/disease which helps against a few mobs even in newbie dungeon)
Reasons: This build maximizes damage synergies for big spellcasts and sets up for growth into a pure mage. It also gives 750 charges on your starting reagent stone so you can cast longer before you need to start supplying your own reags. You'll need to buy a skinning knife (for corpse carving) and a sewing kit (for crafting leather armor) when you earn the gold, but this won't take too long. Taste ID will boost the damage of your poison spell.

Tamer

1. Animal Taming (Train to 50 using training certificate)
  2. Animal Lore (Train to 50 using training certificate)
  3. Veterinary (Start at 1)
  4. Herding
  5. Macing
  6. Tactics
  7. Arms Lore
  8. Magery (Start at 50)
  9. Forensic Eval (Start at 49)
  10. Tracking (be sure to activate hunting mode)
  11. Camping (make a lumberjack on another account to harvest some logs, turn those into boards by doubleclicking hatchet and targetting them, then craft some kindling)

Reasons: By double dipping in both Tamer and Dexxer DPS sources, this build is very high DPS which translates to good gold per hour. Pets take the hits so self-healing / defensive talents aren't as needed. Melee pets will benefit from the macing skill debuff. Rock Guars, Monitor Hatchlings, and Familiars all make good pets and all can be found in newbie dungeon (but you'll need to macro on a few bears or giant toads to get up to 53 skill or so before attempting them or you'll just fail constantly). Mage-tamer works as well, but you'll find the dex makes your pet bandaging a lot more managable (mage-tamers have to greater heal a lot which works, but cuts into DPS). You'll need to buy a shepherd's crook when you have the gold, and may need to buy a quarterstaff if you didn't start with a macing weapon. Pets by themselves can still handle fights with you bandaging so it's okay if you have a small delay before you can afford a weapon.

Bard

Don't make a bard.

Seriously though, this guide is specific to characters playable at launch and bards need to be macro'd for a several hours before their success chances get high enough to be worthwhile. At 50 skill you'll still fail on weak mobs like mongbats and it's just easier to use a passive damage boost in place of the minimum two bard skills. None of this is to say bards are useless, I just don't recommend them for characters to be played from the start (make one and start it macroing while you actively play something else).

If you really really want to start as a bard, you can use the dexxer build and just replace parry & mining w/ musicianship and a bard skill, but my experience is that all the failures you see until you macro the skill up slows you down overall (it's a lot of time wasted standing around trying to get a bard skill to succeed before you engage an NPC).

Edit: updated the tamer build to start with 1 veterinary instead of 1 meditation now that starting bandage amounts for healing/vet have been increased to a better value.

Last edited:
I've tested all three of these templates.

Tamer and Pure dexxer both work fine.

The pure mage template suffers. Even if you go to a dungeon (instead of newbie dungeon) you won't earn enough profit from your kills out of the gate to cover the cost of your reagents unless you do fireball spam, and if you do fireball spam you won't gain magery.

Ideally you want to get your magery up into the 60's so you can more reliably cast blade spirits (once you can afford the scroll), but you won't have the disposable income to do that. Your options are really to either fund yourself a bit using another character (E.g. a dexxer or dexxer-tamer), or else drop inscription, taste ID, and tailoring initially and replace them with animal taming, animal lore, and veterinary instead (you can train animal lore and animal taming at a stablemaster using your training certificates). You can use the tamer pets as a crutch until your magery really gets established well enough to start throwing summons around instead.

The gold cost per damage for magery also goes down as all your skills rise (because the same spell will cost the same reagents but hit for more damage) so the impact it has on your profitability will lessen as you get higher.

thanks for your guide.
couple of questions:
  • what are training certificates, how do i get them and how many can i get?
  • for the pure mage starter, why meditation at 1? does it give more reags?

meditation at 1 gives you a 250 circle spell stone for free reag casting - and can level to 50 in no time anyways, with zero cost. By doing a custom template, you also get 100 training credits, so you can train two other skills to 50 that do have a cost to level.

thanks for your guide.
couple of questions:
  • what are training certificates, how do i get them and how many can i get?
  • for the pure mage starter, why meditation at 1? does it give more reags?
Yeah. with 3 magic skills your starting spellstone will have 750 charges.

Each attempt at casting a spell consumes 1 charge per circle (i.e. greater heal uses 4 charges whether you succeed or fizzle).

For the skills that don't say "Training Cert this" or "Start at X" implied to be just work on this as you're starting out? Or is there something I'm missing for them?

1540512043394.png

you will gain:
tactics, anatomy, and arms lore when you are attacking something
parrying, when you are being attacked while you have a shield equipped
tracking, periodically when you have hunting mode activated
camping, sometimes when you double click kindling, or are near a campfire

Mining and blacksmithing are boosting your damage and defense, you don't have to work them any higher
You can craft yourself some ringmail armor and a one handed weapon fairly easily, you will have to buy a pair of tongs and mine some ore, 15 to 20 minutes of mining and you should have enough ingots to make a suit of ringmail armor and a weapon

Following the Pure Dexxer Route. I'm just confused on what to cap everything off at? Like what should I 7x??

Currently have Blacksmithing, Mining, Tracking and Forensic Eval all Locked at 50.

It's important to note that the individual skill cap is 120 for skills, 720 overall.

However, you need skill scrolls specific to the skill you want to raise (ie: Camping +1 skill scroll allows you to get to 101... so you would need 20 of those to unlock the ability to get camping to 120 skill level). The same thing to go from 700-720 skill cap. You need (20) +1 skill cap orbs to unlock the ability to have a total of 720 points to spend.

Following the Pure Dexxer Route. I'm just confused on what to cap everything off at? Like what should I 7x??
That's for you to decide! For my dexxer, I ended up leaving some skills at lower than 100 so I could gain more of another skill. My current dexxer:

80 Anatomy
80 Arms Lore
100 Forensics
90 Healing
50 Magic Resist
100 Parry
100 Swordsmanship
100 Tactics

I think I'm going to dump Forensics in order to raise my resist to about 80. Then I get to pick another skill to raise to 70... camping? tracking? poisoning? I dunno!

I plan on putting forensics on another "gatherer" character. I initially had it on this guy because it's a great source of supplemental income but comes at the cost of an important skill like Magic Resist.