What's new

Mining Success Chance

#1
I was told in discord that using a higher colored pick to mine will allow you to FIND MORE colored ore veins than if not using one.

This seems false to me. All I notice is when I do find a vein, I don't fail to mine the ore as much as if using a regular pick. So I tried to look it up and could only find these discord messages, but no actual proof.



If ore veins are randomized how could a colored pick change your chance to find something that was already randomly spawned?




Anyone know for sure? Thoughts?
 

Kilgu

Legendary
#2
I think by more colored ore they mean more chance to get colored ore from a colored vein instead of plain iron, not to find colored veins.

i.e.
iron pickaxe on colored vein will get 10 iron and 5 copper
verite pickaxe on colored vein will get 3 iron and 12 copper
 
#3
There are no colored veins, a vein is just a vein and you have a chance to mine colored ore.. an exceptional pick axe increases that chance, and a colored axe increases that chance towards that color ore..

The wiki is a great source of information: https://uooutlands.com/wiki/index.php?title=Mining

I'm not doing the math, but by the formulas below, you can see that your tool bonus impacts your chance to mine colored ores, all ores really, and your tool bonus is determined by the type of pick (colored) you use. So unless I'm reading it wrong, I'd say a colored tool increases your chance to yield colored ore.

1554843944570.png


1554843958115.png
 
#6
Still confused, let me ask differently.

If I equip an avarite pick will I find more colored ore, or will I just have a better chance of mining the colored ore i do find?
 
#7
Every swing (not node) you have a chance to get colored ore.. the colored pick axe increases your chance.. the avarite, if exceptional and master crafted would give you the highest possible chance for colored ore at your level, as it also helps determine colored chance...
 
#8
Every swing (not node) you have a chance to get colored ore.. the colored pick axe increases your chance.. the avarite, if exceptional and master crafted would give you the highest possible chance for colored ore at your level, as it also helps determine colored chance...
Sorry man, but to me, this still isn't clear answer to what I'm asking.

I think by more colored ore they mean more chance to get colored ore from a colored vein instead of plain iron, not to find colored veins.

i.e.
iron pickaxe on colored vein will get 10 iron and 5 copper
verite pickaxe on colored vein will get 3 iron and 12 copper
If what you are trying to say is what Kilgu wrote than I understand. If not I give up.
 
#9
Say you swing your pick axe, and you have a 99.5% chance to get regular ore, and a .5% chance to get a colored ore...
If you are holding a colored pick axe, you may have a 99% chance to get regular ore, and a 1.0% chance to get colored ore..

These numbers are not accurate just used to represent the way it is.. And it's based on every single swing, not a particular spot you are swinging at, not a node, nothing like that.. Just a pure chance to get on every swing/activation.
 
#10
WHat theyre trying to say is, (and idk if this is how it works but this is what theyre saying) is that there is no such thing as a colored vein. every swing, depending on skill, rolls a chance to mine up colored ore, regardless of location.
 
#11
I'm not a miner but this makes me wonder how things like Valorite ore maps work? Those things sell for over 30K. Do they just spawn regular veins that have a higher than normal chance of Valorite?

Edit: looking at wiki it seems like ore maps are a completely different system than veins.
 
#13
WHat theyre trying to say is, (and idk if this is how it works but this is what theyre saying) is that there is no such thing as a colored vein. every swing, depending on skill, rolls a chance to mine up colored ore, regardless of location.
This is not exactly true.
When you start to hit a colored ore type, you will get only the same ore type from the same spot. Which means that once the system has determined a color for a spot it will be same until it refresh
 
#14
This is not exactly true.
When you start to hit a colored ore type, you will get only the same ore type from the same spot. Which means that once the system has determined a color for a spot it will be same until it refresh

I get multiple colors of ore on a single node all the time. /shrug

edit - now that I think about it, I try to stay on the intersections of veins so that is probably why I do....
 
#15
No it's a percent chance on each swing, you can get 3 ores then a colored ore...
This is not quite how it works, a single vein/tile (you will notice when you're hitting what the server counts as one spot if you don't use PBAoE harvesting, which targets everything within 2 tiles of your body) will never give two colors in one round of harvesting.

Whenever you strike a single location it has a chance of being colored ore or iron ore for that spawn until depleted, the chances are as follows:

Players can harvest ore using pickaxes and have a random chance to harvest colored ore if they meet the material's skill requirements
Base chances for players to discover colored ores are as follows:
  • Regular Ore: 82%
  • Dull Copper Ore: 4.0%
  • Shadow Iron Ore: 3.5%
  • Copper Ore: 3.0.%
  • Bronze Ore: 2.5%
  • Gold Ore: 2.0%
  • Agapite Ore: 1.5%
  • Verite Ore: 1.0%
  • Valorite Ore: 0.5%

Colored tools + higher skill are most important for later mining, when trying to get agapite/verite/valorite/avarite as those ores are extremely rare and it's not worth the miss chance (which is high). Whether or not skill effects how many in a single vein is uncertain. You'll notice if you do the math on the skills page you get 100% success or iron ore at 100, 100% success of dull copper ore at 105, 100% success of shadow iron ore at 110, 100% success of copper at 115, and 100% success of bronze at 120.