What's new

Murder timer

Proposal: Make the murder countdown timer tick even when a character is not logged in.

Details: Have the murder timer ticking if the character with counts is logged in, OR the account is not logged in at all. If multiple characters on one account have murder counts, only deduct from the least recently used character with murder counts when offline.

Would be awesome if we didn't have to be logged in for the timer to be counting down. There is no issue with being logged in and afk on a character, however it's not electricity efficient to leave your computer on and running -- especially if you're not doing anything productive like macroing. There is no point in having a character logged into Outlands just to reduce the murder timer.

I'm going to disagree with this. I don't think making it easier to PK is healthy for the shard population or most people's enjoyment in the long-term. The point about wasting energy is valid, but if murders will decay when the character isn't logged in it should at least be slowed down to 1/3. Which actually should be how it operates anyway. Interesting post though.

Thanks for the replies — my main concern is wasted cpu resources. There’s no skill involved in remaining logged in, therefore I don’t consider this as any form of leniency. With how it is now, I’m sure murderers are going to remain logged in regardless. There just seems to be no point in wasting the resources just to have a character decay. The punishment for murdering another player effectively turns into a slightly higher electricity bill o_O

It's an interesting thought, it really is, but there would have to be some compensatory mechanism that relieves this environmental/electricity without turning this into genocide around here.

Kilgu

Apprentice
Why do you want your counts to go down? Play ironman (sorta) mode and see how high you can get before you get stat'd. Unless you're one of those assholes who always keeps at 5 counts so that if you die you don't have to pay anything. Choose your marks carefully and rezz kill over and over and you too can profit from being red even with deaths.

The murder timer is really just to push players who want to pvp into Factions.. if you want to avoid murder count then join factions and pvp. Most legit reds will give zero fecks about going red and paying fines.

The post is derailing from my original concern, and is preloaded with assumptions. Im making a suggestion based on the ideaology of wasted resources.

There are obviously lots of workarounds, but the simple notion of staying logged in to reduce your timer is flawed.

Pro-Tip, when afk log in with red. When not AFK - Kill Noobs. elseif when red PVM for resources on separate character. Remain logged in keeps shard numbers up, brings player population because it appears lots of people are playing. This is the best shard out there and they are trying to find a happy medium with zerging reds, pvp and pvm to retain player base.

The post is derailing from my original concern, and is preloaded with assumptions. Im making a suggestion based on the ideaology of wasted resources.

There are obviously lots of workarounds, but the simple notion of staying logged in to reduce your timer is flawed.
i understand your suggestion and i totally agree. i also dislike macroing for that reason. eve has done this right and uses offline progression.

though i have also learned to accept that this game and its playerbase are 21y old and may not be willing to just adapt to new systems.
online count is importamt too so no shard owner wants to get rid of said outdated mechanics, or will ever care for our electricity bills.

we are not derailing your topic when your suggestion directly affects everyone playing.

Personally I think to reduce your red count timer, you should have to have the active gains buff on, but that's just me, so you can't just stay logged in to pay for your crimes, you actually have to stay active get out there and play the game. The penalties are there to be a deterrent to a behavior that generally ruins a large number of the populations gameplay, especially if reds get far too over abundant.

I also don't agree with repentance...

Personally I think to reduce your red count timer, you should have to have the active gains buff on, but that's just me, so you can't just stay logged in to pay for your crimes, you actually have to stay active get out there and play the game. The penalties are there to be a deterrent to a behavior that generally ruins a large number of the populations gameplay, especially if reds get far too over abundant.

I also don't agree with repentance...
I like this idea about being active. Very nice.

I think it's common sense to have murder timers reduce weather the player is logged in or not. Reduced server load and being more user friendly in general are obvious boons.
2 main obstacles I see to this though is:
1: advertising, the server owners would presumably like having higher active user numbers.
2: general pettieness. While this doesn't have to be a pro or anti pk issue. Some will see this as having to stay logged in bothering pks, so they are automatically for it... despite whether it's good for gameplay or if there's better methods.

I think it's common sense to have murder timers reduce weather the player is logged in or not. Reduced server load and being more user friendly in general are obvious boons.
2 main obstacles I see to this though is:
1: advertising, the server owners would presumably like having higher active user numbers.
2: general pettieness. While this doesn't have to be a pro or anti pk issue. Some will see this as having to stay logged in bothering pks, so they are automatically for it... despite whether it's good for gameplay or if there's better methods.
If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime. Why should PKs get a free pass when they murder someone innocent?

I will say this: Unless something can be suggested to punish murderers while balancing the insertion of a countdown timer when the character is logged off, I really don’t see anything changing. One could log on every couple of days and commit a murder spree and then log off. It’s nonsense at best and kindle for griefing.

If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime. Why should PKs get a free pass when they murder someone innocent?

I will say this: Unless something can be suggested to punish murderers while balancing the insertion of a countdown timer when the character is logged off, I really don’t see anything changing. One could log on every couple of days and commit a murder spree and then log off. It’s nonsense at best and kindle for griefing.
Couple things.
No one is really getting murdered. And no pixels in a pc game are "innocent" or guilty for that matter.

Here's an idea. We should Have the client uninstall... o rather have the client install a bunch of malware/viruses on the pks computer.
Cuz, if you can't stand the heat get out the kitchen.

Or we can recognize this is a game and try to make solutions to ingame problems, fun and seemless.

Having people logon to UO to Afk, as a promoted way to play the game, is obviously not a fun or elegant solution. And as pointed out is wasteful... that's why people are looking for a change...
Not because theyre afraid of getting the horns when they mess with the bull. .
Or they are messing with the best and dieng like the rest.

Not even because they are talking smack and getting slapped!

Couple things.
No one is really getting murdered. And no pixels in a pc game are "innocent" or guilty for that matter.

Here's an idea. We should Have the client uninstall... o rather have the client install a bunch of malware/viruses on the pks computer.
Cuz, if you can't stand the heat get out the kitchen.

Or we can recognize this is a game and try to make solutions to ingame problems, fun and seemless.

Having people logon to UO to Afk, as a promoted way to play the game, is obviously not a fun or elegant solution. And as pointed out is wasteful... that's why people are looking for a change...
Not because theyre afraid of getting the horns when they mess with the bull. .
Or they are messing with the best and dieng like the rest.

Not even because they are talking smack and getting slapped!
Unfortunately, your view on whether someone is getting murdered or not is not applicable to everyone’s thought process. Someone who works very hard and spends their time for the things they get only to lose it all in minutes to some pony-riding hotheads while on their way to store it in the bank might feel murdered.

As the way it’s currently set, you choose between paying lots of gold and serving little time or paying little gold and serving lots of time.

But here’s another idea: Git gud. Being a PK is a privilege that belongs to the best and not little boys who dive and can’t stay alive. If you can’t take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. This game was tailored not only for the best but also the rest.