What's new

New Aspect Changes – basically items turned into extra skill

When aspect armor and weapons transcend item status in the coming changes, they become something like a new skill, expensive yes, but still something that can't be lost and boosts your performance (like tactics for example).

It's great that the new system brings life to the crafting market, but I mean, come on... Basically aspect users gets additional skillpoints. Why not just make aspect stuff less good so ppl don't quit the server if loosing them? Or will I get additional skillpoints too if I boost my stealing for 3 millions?

Trystan

Apprentice
Why are you complaining ? Just build an aspect suit and join the club.

Also I don’t see how this is anything like getting additional skill points.

From a player retention stand point makes tons of sense. If I lose my bless, I just log and wait until I get it back. My whole build literally evolves around my suit.

And anything not command is very cheap now. Should be easily attainable.

I love the changes coming. Great idea imo

I treat my aspect gear like artifacts, and have grown very attached to them... I'm going to miss having a dedicated item for my aspect gear.. however in looking at the over all of the new systems, aside from that one sentimental thing, all i can see is positives from the new system.

I consider getting more people out farming, gets more people for your theives & Pk's to interact with. The current design people quit farming when their aspects were/are down. Getting more loot floating around, being lost, means crafters get a boost (they desperately need it). And honestly, 20 years of PvM get's boring, being a little more powerful, is just fun in many ways - and this change benefits dexxers the most, considering they'll get the most out of magic weapons/high end ore gear, and they also need a boost. I'm failing to see any real negatives here, other than my sentimentality.

Gotta have some faith. I also see mostly positives with a couple will have to wait and sees, but mostly I think this will be better in the long run.
Dont mind crushing shit in PVM like a god, and it has no pvp benefits so thumbs up from this guy.

I agree with many thoughts on benefits in the above. But why shouldn't non-pvm styles also be able to attain these kinds of non-stealable bonus things? Or get buffs/changes of the same significance? I mean this is a huge thing.

Why are you complaining ? Just build an aspect suit and join the club.

Also I don’t see how this is anything like getting additional skill points.
I'm not mainly a PVMer so it's not in my interest to get an aspect suit. Other than stealing it of course.

I'll try to explain more thoroughly:
What is a skill? It's an ability to do something or to provide bonuses to something (like tactics). It's gained by investing time in training and, to some extent, through purchasing points from NPCs. It cannot be stolen or lost in any way unless you decide so.

What is the new aspect system? It's a way to get bonuses for your skills, for example increasing damage just like tactics. You attain it by investing time in farming or paying someone. The aspect bonuses cannot be stolen or lost unless you decide so.

So there are at least three similarities: some skills, as well as, aspect gear provide 1) bonuses to skills, 2) are attained in a time consuming process and 3) cannot be lost or stolen.

Once all is attained, the aspect bonuses function just like skills that buff your fighting skills, and just like skills those buffs cannot be lost.

I agree with many thoughts on benefits in the above. But why shouldn't non-pvm styles also be able to attain these kinds of non-stealable bonus things? Or get buffs/changes of the same significance? I mean this is a huge thing
Like crafters (artisan gear), and thunters/gatherers (fortune gear)? Is the complaint here just that you can't level them without PvM, or that they don't exist? Btw, I believe Luthius commented on a thread asking if you could level those up, using the things they'll benefit, and there was some progress made in those discussions, so you may be able to level artisan gear through using colored ores, or fortune gear through picking in dungeons, or gathering.. (potentially).

And if those two sets don't cover what you are talking about - what other suggestions for aspect gear / additional skills utilized do you want to see the system cover?

Like crafters (artisan gear), and thunters/gatherers (fortune gear)? Is the complaint here just that you can't level them without PvM, or that they don't exist? Btw, I believe Luthius commented on a thread asking if you could level those up, using the things they'll benefit, and there was some progress made in those discussions, so you may be able to level artisan gear through using colored ores, or fortune gear through picking in dungeons, or gathering.. (potentially).

And if those two sets don't cover what you are talking about - what other suggestions for aspect gear / additional skills utilized do you want to see the system cover?
Ah, didn't know about those. It wouldn't need to include special gear, changes to the thieving skill would work also. Either lifting some nerfs or adding some change.

Ah, didn't know about those. It wouldn't need to include special gear, changes to the thieving skill would work also. Either lifting some nerfs or adding some change.
Thieving has an impact on player vs player aspects, you really can't increase the efficiency of a skill like that - unless there were some sort of PvE/PvM aspect they could employ to it. Otherwise your digging into the balance they are trying to achieve. If you go down that route, then you start having aspect gear affect combat / mage skills, and improve PvP as well, changing the entire balance..

I don't understand all these people that say "if I lose my bless I just log for the night". How the hell did you play before you got your gear?
We didn't know what we were missing. My pets stats are glass cannon with aspect. W/o they die rather quickly. And once you smoke aspect, you will never stop.

Thieving has an impact on player vs player aspects, you really can't increase the efficiency of a skill like that - unless there were some sort of PvE/PvM aspect they could employ to it. Otherwise your digging into the balance they are trying to achieve. If you go down that route, then you start having aspect gear affect combat / mage skills, and improve PvP as well, changing the entire balance..
I think you can increase the efficiancy of a skill like that. Especially when thief nerfs come from loud crowds wanting to be comfortable, rather than actual game balance conciderations.

I think you can increase the efficiancy of a skill like that. Especially when thief nerfs come from loud crowds wanting to be comfortable, rather than actual game balance conciderations.
Many would argue, that griefy playstyles need to be balanced properly, because all they do is drive the majority of players away from the game, and when those players are all gone, what will the thieves do? They leave too..

I don't consider stealing as a griefing playstyle. (I'm not and never have been thief btw)
Griefing is aggro mobs on you to get you killed without taking a count for example.
Stealing has dedicated skills, it's a playstyle.
Furthermore, it's quite simple to avoid being stolen. You have bags in bags in bags in bags in bags.... and the very first bag is hidden under your atlas.
When you get out of a dungeon, you go to Shelter by the gate and then directly to your house. Then you have one toon with hidding banking all the expensive item and doing all the trades. When you sell the items go from your bank directly in the trade window and when you buy, your bank is open and you hide as soon as the deal is done.
Thieves could have all the buffs they want, they would never been able to steal you.

So I agree with Frantz, nerfing or refusing skills bonuses as aspects for thieves is just a way to help lazy pvmers. It's not a question of griefing.

@Frantz : When will we be able to read your first comics ?

I don't consider stealing as a griefing playstyle. (I'm not and never have been thief btw)
Griefing is aggro mobs on you to get you killed without taking a count for example.
Stealing has dedicated skills, it's a playstyle.
Furthermore, it's quite simple to avoid being stolen. You have bags in bags in bags in bags in bags.... and the very first bag is hidden under your atlas.
When you get out of a dungeon, you go to Shelter by the gate and then directly to your house. Then you have one toon with hidding banking all the expensive item and doing all the trades. When you sell the items go from your bank directly in the trade window and when you buy, your bank is open and you hide as soon as the deal is done.
Thieves could have all the buffs they want, they would never been able to steal you.

So I agree with Frantz, nerfing or refusing skills bonuses as aspects for thieves is just a way to help lazy pvmers. It's not a question of griefing.

@Frantz : When will we be able to read your first comics ?
Honestly, re-read what you wrote, you have to change the entire way you play, because of that one playstyle, so that you don't get your day ruined... And then tell me again how it's not a griefy playstyle?

I personally don't have an issue with thieves, and honestly when I'm outside of town, I leave understanding the risks, but when I'm in a guarded area, those risks should be either highly reduced (which they are - one thief can't just keep stealing over and over in town daily without raising suspicion), or removed. I may be wrong, but most of the nerfs that have come to thieves, has all been about guardzone, and/or dealing with script thieving (which is not a skill in itself), or honestly the trapped pouch nerf was necessary, it's stupid a thief can pop 10 pouches on you without you noticing. They've taken strides to remove the griefyness of the template which I applaud. I would never advocate those be undone, in anyway.

Well I changed the way I played bécause of reds and blue griefers.
I should change my way to play bécause of artisan aspects.
As I don't want to change my crafter gameplay, I'll never have artisan aspect if it doesn't change. It's a choice.

If you don't want to be robbed, act like I said, otherwise don't complain after thieves, they are part of the game.
A thief (Slur to name him) stole one of my boats when I was selling them. He played well, I was an ass letting it in my main pack, I lost 15k (was another time...), my fault. Since then I have never been robbed again (well, one guy stole me bandies...).

And seriously, adapting your pack to avoid thief takes maybe 2 min and you do it only once. The routine to go to Shelter then home maybe 30 sec and the trading thing don't make you lose time.

So no, it's not a griefing playstyle. It's a playstyle.

I totally agree on your second paragraph, what have been done for script stealing and pouches was the right thing to do.