What's new

New Aspect Changes – basically items turned into extra skill

It's a shame that script stealing is even a thing. My hope lies with future client which apparently will do wonders to us all.

Stealing is certainly a legtimate playstyle. The tough part is that some ppl seem to get astronomically annoyed being stolen from – to such an extent that it ruins their day, while some think it's just amusing or exciting.

I could agree with the reasoning that u shouldn't have to secure your stuff in 20 bags etc. That's just annoying to have to do all the time. However, if stealing is nerfed as it is now it's too much.

@Fleutral the first comic is already out! It's in the screenshot forum!

However, if stealing is nerfed as it is now it's too much.
Can you clarify what IS actually nerfed? In all honesty I don't follow all the thieving changes beyond the reasoning behind them, as I don't enjoy the playstyle myself. From what I understood thieving outside guardzones was still happening (as it should)?

Can you clarify what IS actually nerfed? In all honesty I don't follow all the thieving changes beyond the reasoning behind them, as I don't enjoy the playstyle myself. From what I understood thieving outside guardzones was still happening (as it should)?
Aye, of course. I’ve got three examples: 1) raised town awareness mechanic, which ruins town stealing, a natural part of UO; 2) NPC x-ray vision through walls, increasing guard whack chance; 3) stealing success being 50% regardless of weight, which might seem like a buff, but seeing that most valuable items weigh little it’s generally bad for a thief (also it puts a thief more in the hands of mechanics instead of making rational choices of whether to steal or not – risk and reward; and another one which I’m not sure though, but it’s the percentage by which nearby players and npcs increases stealing fail chance – I think this is greater than normal UO.

Then there are shard specific nerfs related to the particular history of this shard, e g not being able to acticate stealing while remaining hidden. However, I couls agree that was OP! But there’s also the snooping delay, which is there to counter script thieves, so that can be ok for now.

Aye, of course. I’ve got three examples: 1) raised town awareness mechanic, which ruins town stealing, a natural part of UO; 2) NPC x-ray vision through walls, increasing guard whack chance; 3) stealing success being 50% regardless of weight, which might seem like a buff, but seeing that most valuable items weigh little it’s generally bad for a thief (also it puts a thief more in the hands of mechanics instead of making rational choices of whether to steal or not – risk and reward; and another one which I’m not sure though, but it’s the percentage by which nearby players and npcs increases stealing fail chance – I think this is greater than normal UO.

Then there are shard specific nerfs related to the particular history of this shard, e g not being able to acticate stealing while remaining hidden. However, I couls agree that was OP! But there’s also the snooping delay, which is there to counter script thieves, so that can be ok for now.
I'm not a thief, but this is how I see things - just because it was that way once, isn't a good reason to keep it that way in my eyes, so for what it's worth:

1) is a great mechanic, you should have safety in town, I was very pleased with that change as a whole, I think bank thieves are the lowest form of skill, they generally just attempted to steal, died, attempted to steal, died, attempted to steal oh got luck, run!!! It really wasn't fun..

2) NPC x-ray vision is dumb - i have to agree - I like the suspicion, I always felt there should be guards posted around banks, guards on patrol routes through a town, coupled with the suspicion, and then it'd be a good system, npc's shouldn't see through walls..

3) the weight thing makes no sense to me either, I'd love to see stealing chance tied to weight, the heavier the item, the harder to steal. I'd also have no issue if you then took the rare items and give them all a weight of 5, to give them a middling safety level..

I must agree with your reasonable outset of course. These are nerfs with respect to how it has been. Keep in mind though, stealing is usually taking a beating mostly seeing changes weakening it – a tiresome journey, like an American mining town slowly moving towards death!

On (1) I thought it seemed like a great idea, but when I found it reduced town stealing to a few steal attempts for each town I turned against it. Especially when I tried stealing from a solitary player away from any npc/player and raised town awareness.

If the only motivation is hindering deathrobe thieves to repeatedly steal from ppl, then we have other alternatives already in place. For example, dying after an attempted steal puts a delay on the thief, so you can't steal for 2 minutes. This timer could be increased to a number making deathrobe stealing pointless. Obviously, the 24h cool down of raised town awareness is an enormous stretch in this regard.

(2) - Suspicion coupled with the guards actually seen on the streets? Sounds interesting... But I'd rather see suspicion taken away altogether for the reason above.

(3) - Your suggestion would keep the problem with regard to rares, which is the prime thing to steal, so it would be about as bad. Instead of weighting (sp?) rares arbitrarily to the same weight, they could be measured according to their perceived size/kind. For example, a t-map would weigh 1 stone, while cores etc weigh 1-3 stones. Various statues could weigh from 1-10, and one of those Cavernam gravestone rares would reasonably weigh 10 stones.

Last edited:
When aspect armor and weapons transcend item status in the coming changes, they become something like a new skill, expensive yes, but still something that can't be lost and boosts your performance (like tactics for example).

It's great that the new system brings life to the crafting market, but I mean, come on... Basically aspect users gets additional skillpoints. Why not just make aspect stuff less good so ppl don't quit the server if loosing them? Or will I get additional skillpoints too if I boost my stealing for 3 millions?
Sounds alot like bonded pets then

Sounds alot like bonded pets then
Well, bonded pets still die and when u ress them they ress with -25% abilities, stacking up to 100% if ressing more times within the timer. If you die with the aspect stuff u just ress and apply it to your next set of armor. It may be compared to restocking bandages for someone with the healing skill. For the "aspect skill" you restock armor and/or apply the aspect power to it.

Thiefs were just buffed. It is now possible again to steal in moongate areas. And also everywhere else its possbile to run steal-scrips. This is not a style of play. Its griefing the whole shard. Like other things that are exaggerated with scripts, such as script-gathering.

Furthermore, a new ppl vendor has just opened. A bit west outpost monngate. Its called "Chumbuckets legely obtained goods." I saw him one time, staying at outpost. Its a thief char, who could afford a vendor.

Last edited:
Thiefs were just buffed. It is now possible again to steal in moongate areas. And also everywhere else its possbile to run steal-scrips. This is not a style of play. Its griefing the whole shard. Like other things that are exaggerated with scripts, such as script-gathering.

Furthermore, a new ppl vendor has just opened. A bit west outpost monngate. Its called "Chumbuckets legely obtained goods." I saw him one time, staying at outpost. Its a thief char, who could afford a vendor.
Hm... Which post is this a reply to?