What's new

Newbie questions after 10 years!

Hello all,

After 10 years, I wanted to get back at UO and wanted do try Outlands for this! Feels good to be back! =)

Now I have a couple of questions.

- I unfortunately rushed at the character creation step and picked "Advanced" so I ended up with 50 Mining and 50 Blacksmithy. Though I later saw that if I picked Blacksmith template, I'd also have Macing and Tinkering as well. Any chance to do it from scratch?

- About mining, I noticed that it's different than before right? I mean, we don't have "caves" like we used to way back but now we go do it at the mountainsides if I'm correct. Is there any other possibilities? Maybe some mines where we can do it the old style? Or do you have any places where miners prefer?

- I literally have 0 gold. Is that normal? Back in the days we had at least some gold to get a couple of things that can make life easier.

Thanks a lot for the responses! Hope we can make the world better!

Welcome Ancalime!

-For your character, don't worry too much about the starting skills. While you are on Shelter Island and have access to the New Player dungeon area, you will get accelerated skill gains, so it is easy to raise skills like Macing up quickly. Tinkering and other craft skills do not benefit from this bonus skill gain, though, so it is best to just buy up to 50 skill from the appropriate NPC (Jeweler I think will train you in Tinkering).

-There are still caves, but you can mine mountainside or within a cave if you choose. There is an added quality of life bonus here with gathering skills (mining, skinning, lumberjacking, etc) where you can double click your gathering tool and target yourself instead of the desired location. This will make it so you automatically target any accessible gathering node within reach. Saves a lot of hassle! For starting out, you can mind around Shelter Island, and there is a big cave there as well for mining (it is beneath the moongate area). You can also technically mine inside the dungeon, but should be careful that you don't get overrun by monsters. Either way, you can mine your way up to 70 skill on Shelter Island.

-Nobody starts with any gold, and any starting equipment is newbied to that character, so you can't transfer your bandages to another character for instance. Instead of gold you get a little deed in your pack with 1000 credits on it. These credits are the same as gold but only usable for training skills. So, say you wanted to train up your Tinkering skill. You go to the Jeweler, you can click the Jeweler to bring up the context menu and select "Train Tinkering". The Jeweler will state that they can train you for the cost of however much gold (500 usually if you have 0 in the skill), then you just drag and drop that little deed onto the NPC and viola, you now have your skill trained.

For some starting gold, you can spend a bit of time in the New Player dungeon area (entrance is located sort of on the NW of town, with an additional entrance in the mines). You will not get a lot of gold from the mobs, but if you're training macing and any other combat skills, you should gather enough money for some basic equipment and essentials before heading out into the big wide world.

Expo

Overseer
Staff member
Welcome! I hope you enjoy yourself in the Outlands!

- I unfortunately rushed at the character creation step and picked "Advanced" so I ended up with 50 Mining and 50 Blacksmithy. Though I later saw that if I picked Blacksmith template, I'd also have Macing and Tinkering as well. Any chance to do it from scratch?
Check out the Starting Items and Templates page on the wiki for info on all the starting possibilities. You could start another character but as @ErikGray mentioned, starting skills aren't too hard to raise.

Welcome Ancalime!

-For your character, don't worry too much about the starting skills. While you are on Shelter Island and have access to the New Player dungeon area, you will get accelerated skill gains, so it is easy to raise skills like Macing up quickly. Tinkering and other craft skills do not benefit from this bonus skill gain, though, so it is best to just buy up to 50 skill from the appropriate NPC (Jeweler I think will train you in Tinkering).

-There are still caves, but you can mine mountainside or within a cave if you choose. There is an added quality of life bonus here with gathering skills (mining, skinning, lumberjacking, etc) where you can double click your gathering tool and target yourself instead of the desired location. This will make it so you automatically target any accessible gathering node within reach. Saves a lot of hassle! For starting out, you can mind around Shelter Island, and there is a big cave there as well for mining (it is beneath the moongate area). You can also technically mine inside the dungeon, but should be careful that you don't get overrun by monsters. Either way, you can mine your way up to 70 skill on Shelter Island.

-Nobody starts with any gold, and any starting equipment is newbied to that character, so you can't transfer your bandages to another character for instance. Instead of gold you get a little deed in your pack with 1000 credits on it. These credits are the same as gold but only usable for training skills. So, say you wanted to train up your Tinkering skill. You go to the Jeweler, you can click the Jeweler to bring up the context menu and select "Train Tinkering". The Jeweler will state that they can train you for the cost of however much gold (500 usually if you have 0 in the skill), then you just drag and drop that little deed onto the NPC and viola, you now have your skill trained.

For some starting gold, you can spend a bit of time in the New Player dungeon area (entrance is located sort of on the NW of town, with an additional entrance in the mines). You will not get a lot of gold from the mobs, but if you're training macing and any other combat skills, you should gather enough money for some basic equipment and essentials before heading out into the big wide world.
Wow first of all thanks for the super fast reply! Glad to see the community already!

- Ah, sorry for the language but, crap! I left Shelter Island too early. Too excited to go out and explore. :p But can I still benefit from the fast skill gaining in Shelter Island?

- Yep I noticed the deed! Lovely! Just waiting to make sure I spend it wisely. =)

- Man I definitely need to spend some more time on Shelter Island! =)

Hah, I did the same thing, left Shelter Island without fully understanding things just yet.

You can return to Shelter Island, but you won't have "New Player" status any longer. What this means is that you will not be able to interact with the NPCs, but that is about it. You can still safely mine, use the dungeon (the skill gain bonus in the dungeon remains whether or not you are a New Player), and all that jazz. You will just need to leave the island to use a bank, shop from NPCs, or whatever else you might need that is NPC-related. This also means that items will drop to your corpse as well if you die instead of stay with you.