What's new

Player Created Treasure Hunts... with Dev Team help if possible

I just want to start with saying I love player created events. Great part of UO is the sandbox play-style that allows players to get creative.

Treasure Hunts:

I would post a forum post or a separate channel on Discord with a riddle or poem or some kind of puzzle about a certain location on the map. The players can then try to decode the information given to them. At the location they find some sort of reward. The rewards would be from the person giving the information. No staff related rewards. Strictly player based.

When I've done this in the past, it sometimes took hours to days and sometimes nobody ever found it. If possible, I'd like to work with the devs to maybe just add a container that we could use to store the reward at the treasure location. I don't think it really gives the player anything besides just enabling player created events.

Any thoughts would be great.

Last edited:
I like the idea - the container I think would need to decay, because otherwise people would bury treasure everywhere, and it'd just keep adding to the item count, the amount of lost treasures would rise steadily along with our regular saves which are already a huge problem..

Ideally though - I'd much rather see this tied entirely in game, you provide your clues to the treasure hunters club, and players can go there to pay a tip to the guy in order to get the riddles/hints. Maybe the NPC spits them out randomly if you are sitting by him, but you can pay to get one right away, 500 gp or something.

Hunters be wary, it could be a red planting a gank!

I like the idea of player created events and "quests" (for lack of a better term) as it reminds me of when I used play in a 100% rpg server with guild events.

However, isn't it too easy a way to ambush people?
I mean... is there any other reason (other than playing minigames with your guild mates and luring victims into traps) for someone to actually want to bury treasure for others to find?

On the other hand, is there a way for vendor owners to set up "buy" orders? I couldn't find it in the vendor docs.
Offering money for materials though a vendor is Player Created Content 101 in my book. That's basically a quest making machine.
Offering items in exchange for items is even better.
Paying a small fee to have it show on the town billboard? Now that's player created content...

Have them msg you the location and you can meet up and you give it to them -
The only reason I don't suggest that is because of my job. I'm gone for weeks at a time and I'd like to think if I give some really hard challenge I can just throw it out there and hope somebody figures it out ya know.

Like maybe if you're within 5 blocks and you say a code maybe the item I provided to the admins can appear or something. I'm just spit balling here. Last time I got this involved in a shard we had like max 100 people and the GMs were VERY involved in game.

Like maybe if you're within 5 blocks and you say a code maybe the item I provided to the admins can appear or something. I'm just spit balling here. Last time I got this involved in a shard we had like max 100 people and the GMs were VERY involved in game.
I know what you're talking about Kelog, I played in a shard like that too and I loved it. At some point I even started contributing scripts and events. I fear some of the things that were possible there could get out hand pretty quickly here.