What's new

Poisoning, and it's application in PVP.

With progressive curing and heal through poison, poisoning is almost worthless in PVP, except for PKing. I've tried it with GM taste ID as well, and I have 120 poisoning. Then lethal gets added for mage casts, but only has PVM application.

I personally think either progressive curing has to go, or heal through poison. With both of them active, poisoning is not a threat whatsoever. Imagine building your template around the idea of doing some real work with nox, just to have anybody without poisoning or taste ID cure it in two pots.

I don't want it to be impossible to cure, nor do I want poisoning to be buffed to heaven. I just think maybe more of a look should be taken at it, as in it's current state it really sucks. Nox has always been an integral part of UO PVP, especially in the duel pits (poison blocking). Allowing mages to cast LP or decreasing the rate of progressive curing should do it some good.

Last edited:

Kilgu

Legendary
Currently with 120 taste ID and 120 Poisoning the guaranteed chance of someone curing your poison is a measly 5 gcures. I usually carry 25 cure pots so poison dexxers are absolutely no threat. Shame that a template that takes so much work and so many resources to grind to 120 is nullified by 5 pots. I'm all for progressive curing getting nixxed.

As a nox roach mage, designed to wear and tear an opponent (keeping in mind limited mana pool), the recent changes have all but made me obsolete.

As a mage I can't cast lethal poison on players (yet I've had dexxers hit me back to back with lethal hits, and sucked up 5-6 cure pot in seconds), and if I sink points into Taste ID, in order to make it nominally harder to cure (what 3 pots max for 20% chance of DP at 100 poisoning, instead of 2), i'm severely removing my ability to conserve mana, because I'll be dropping a skill (healing or parry) that helps me conserve mana against these other builds. With 111 mana, you average about 111 damage casting spells (and you still have to get players nox'd, and have it tick - which costs mana).

I feel like the recent changes to poisoning, were meant to sink 200 points into an OP lethal poison dexxer build, and the mages were just a casualty of the equation.. Progressive Curing really is the crux of the problem, as it isn't needed if you are GP or DP'd, but I can understand being LP'd, how deadly that can be, as such can see the need for it..

Either give mages some form of LP in PvP, or change progressive curing to not affect the lesser poisons..

Kilgu

Legendary
Either give mages some form of LP in PvP, or change progressive curing to not affect the lesser poisons..
Seeing as you need to invest heavily into poisoning with resources, time, and skill scrolls to even have the ability to use lethal I'd be happy with removing progressive curing for everything except LP. With 120 taste ID and Poisoning, whats the max pot usage to cure LP?

Max is between 4 and 5. There's no delay on pot chugging, so people can get the cure off before you even see an effect from poisoning. It should be this easy to deal with WITHOUT the caster having poisoning and taste ID.

Honestly, if I didn't have 120 poisoning, I'd get rid of it entirely.

I've had the hankering to make a new template and was thinking of a roach/nox mage.

100 Mage
100 Eval
100 Wrestile
80 Med
80 Resist
80 Parry
80 Poisoning
80 Healing

Reading through what I can find it seems like 80 poisoning activates the ability to get DP on casts and anything more is just better chance. No LP in PvP so 80 seems like a decent stopping point and allows for the roach skills.

Is this even worth building out or is poison casting just garbage? I could just go full roach or put in hiding or something like that instead.

I've had the hankering to make a new template and was thinking of a roach/nox mage.

100 Mage
100 Eval
100 Wrestile
80 Med
80 Resist
80 Parry
80 Poisoning
80 Healing

Reading through what I can find it seems like 80 poisoning activates the ability to get DP on casts and anything more is just better chance. No LP in PvP so 80 seems like a decent stopping point and allows for the roach skills.

Is this even worth building out or is poison casting just garbage? I could just go full roach or put in hiding or something like that instead.

It isn't right now. But that doesn't mean it wouldnt' be good later. Poison is just too easy to cure without taste id. There is another thread where we are discussing ideas on how to remedy this. My point of view is that the poison spell damage potential needs to be upped intelligently. There are several ways to do this which I won't discuss here but in the other thread.

It isn't right now. But that doesn't mean it wouldnt' be good later. Poison is just too easy to cure without taste id.
Hmm, maybe it will be more fun to just do a dexer so lethal can be used:

100 Sword
100 Tact
100 Heal
80 Parry
80 Resist
120 Poison
120 TasteID

I have no problems being killed by poison dexxer pks (aids should try curing in intervals instead of 10 seconds). However it may be cool to have a 120/120 perk that gc pots only reduce the poison level 2 notches down until the next pot is Drank so some damage goes off.

Elite pvp vs pvp players I think where it stands you guys make good points. Elites vs pk victims... were already killed at an efficient rate .

I run that roach build now Ztuk, when they put in progressive cures, and made taste Id near mandatory, I basically can no longer kill people... 16% chance to DP, by the time I even land it I'm out of mana, and if I do land it, 2 pots to cure.

Mages also never get LP regardless of number of tiles...so poisoning on anything but a dexxer is pretty useless.

Anyone know if poison chance scales with weapon speed? So a slower spear would have a higher chance per hit than a kris.
No chance to apply is per hit, so a faster weapon would equal more chances per minute.

Currently the only way to effectively play a poison dexxer is a battle of attrition. You need to make them burn through all their cure pots and have multiple lethal poisoned weapons to swap out as you're run out of charges faster than they will run out of cures. Then you just pray that they don't get away before you can apply the last poison on them.

Nox mage in pvp is currently not viable unless you like beating up special ed people who don't bring cure pots.