What's new

Proposed Solution for Rampant PKing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Fallout 76's PVP system personally, reduced damage unless the victim fights back. That probably can't even be coded in this though.

I hate to say I agree with W, just on premise, but honestly he makes some mighty fine points. I don't have a single count on any of my accounts, but it really irks me the expectations of some players here in an MMO open world game.. You are hunting dungeons for large amounts of loot, solo on templates not built for surviveability, then complaining with a few PK's run rampant through the dungeon.

This is an MMO - if you want to farm solo, expect to die sometimes, join a guild, hunt with friends, it's far more efficient anyhow with all the special attacks that lend to each others normal attacks. On top of that, use voice, co-ordinate, fend off the PK's, or learn to block PK's, and let your gold mule get out alive with all your loot. Take some bloody surviveability skills, wrestling, bring the right supplies, potions, pouches.... If you have magery, keep your reflect, and protection buffs up...

But for the love of god, don't do the bare minimum and expect to have maximum results...

I am all for creating some ability for PK's to have to fight their way out, removing exit gates for them, that way you can come back with PvP chars, or call in a hit squad to stop them and potentially get your loot on the way back out... but we all have to do our part first, and be prepared for this, PK's are not new to UO, we should all have expected this.

It sounds like a misunderstanding.

I would like to PK, too, but why take the easy way out of earning any loot for myself?

Surely we can come up with something more creative than "L2P" despite those of us who would like to see more features. We aren't demanding reds get nerfed and that's not what this thread is about. On every page, you can see posts like this, asking about reparations for PvMers, nerfing PKers, but the OP didn't say it, and it's just not constructive to the discussion to ignore what the OP has said.
pking miners and lumberjacker is tons of fun.
OK, but it's effortless, and it's not nearly as exciting as a fair fight, so comparatively, it's ounces of fun.

I like Fallout 76's PVP system personally, reduced damage unless the victim fights back. That probably can't even be coded in this though.
I guess you haven't read the reviews of this trash system and how the game is already dying despite being out for less than Outlands. (For reference see the price cut they did twice now)

PK types focused PvP chars from the start while most focused PvMers. The server is young and will catch up PvP template wise. Anti-PK groups are soon to follow. Trinsic for instance will be out skull-fucking reds en masse soon enough.

That being said.. these should change:
1. Res fees seem low.
2. Those who kill reds only get 25% of res fee.... should be 100%.

And what would prevent me from killing myself on an alt and collecting the bounty? That would make ress fees = 0
What would stop you? Common sense... If you pay 5000 res fee and collect 5000 res fee, what have you gained? Not sure your point. If you want to encourage anti-pks, low res fees and worse payouts aren't helping.

What would stop you? Common sense... If you pay 5000 res fee and collect 5000 res fee, what have you gained? Not sure your point. If you want to encourage anti-pks, low res fees and worse payouts aren't helping.
Basically that would let you wipe your cost down to 0 whenever you want. I agree with everything in your post besides that % point though. You’re correct I think, in another month or whatever you’ll see more people finished blue pvp toons for factions and other stuff and more fighting back.

Basically that would let you wipe your cost down to 0 whenever you want. I agree with everything in your post besides that % point though. You’re correct I think, in another month or whatever you’ll see more people finished blue pvp toons for factions and other stuff and more fighting back.
Gotcha, I didn't realize it paid off/cleared the short terms permanently. Maybe that should be modified somehow.

Exactly. As I said, ress fee would be 0 then. Rack up counts, kill myself. recollect bounty. Now if I die theres no cost.

Exactly. As I said, ress fee would be 0 then. Rack up counts, kill myself. recollect bounty. Now if I die theres no cost.
Wonder if this could be bound to IP to avoid exploiting system.. of course then a friend could still collect... Maybe make it 75% at least.

Or remove the ability to buy off shorts altogether. But lower the burn off time to long terms to compensate.

Last edited:
I think its working fine. The fees are meant to be a global gold sink. If you give it to someone else it defeats the purpose. I don't think you should get anything except maybe some karma/fame based on the murder's negative karma/fame levels.

As it is now the system is still very abusable. Create a throwaway pk, kill a bunch of newbies and amass a 200k ress fee. Have a friend/alt kill you and get 50k for nothing. Bounties have never and will never work unfortunately, its just a seriously flawed system.

edit: This is just an example, no one has gotten to 1k short murders yet and it would be time prohibitive to try and game the system for 50gp a kill.

The dedicated anti-pk group that is going to keep the red population in check is a complete myth.

If people don't want penalties to increase, then pvm characters need to be less vulnerable so they have some chance to fight back. Changing resist scaling at low skill levels is the obvious choice since it is so commonly dropped in pvm builds. Specifically, characters with 100 resist should take the same spell damage as they do currently, but players with 0 resist should take spell damage comparable to a player with 50 resist on the live server. Gm resist would still be a necessity for dedicated PvP characters, but pvm characters with 0 resist wouldnt be as easy to kill.

Edit: two further changes to make pvm characters less vulnerable.
(1) players should be able to attack reds and still be able to recall or take the gates out. Pvmers should be able to start to defend themselves before reds have already caught them and started the killing sync.
(2) remove hamstring while on foot. A two second slow or stun isnt a big deal on a horse because its easier to avoid and easier to get offscreen and lose people after the slow, but it is a death sentence on foot, especially for a pvm character facing multiple PvP characters.

Hell, remove hamstring in general. Its a bad mechanic that favors the bigger group. Catching people in UO is a skill, and if you cant catch someone that doesnt want to fight you for long enough to kill them, then you didnt deserve the kill.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.