What's new

Resisting Spells

I find myself running away from liches and elementals frequently even after I gmed my resist. I can hardly even have a standing fight with a lot of these casters. Recently a Lich flamestrike struck me for 47 dmg and these flame strikes can be nasty because even when you're off screen, they can cast on you; which I think is a serious bug.

Why do they also have unlimited mana? In OSI mechanics they run out of mana and eventually are left casting 1st to 2nd circle spells, it appears here that they have unlimited mana - which is nice if you're looking at working on your resist, but can get annoying when you're fighting a creature like a Banshee that casts usually high damage flame strikes over, and over and over again, and I gotta run off screen every time they get me to 40%-50% because you never know if they're going to land a 50 dmg flame strike on you from two screens away.

Magic resist appears to rarely work in PvM and does its job maybe 1 out of 5 times. but it's terrible in PvP IMO. If more than two mages gang up on you, it's over.

I remember how Magic resist was on OSI during T2A and it held up quite well at GM in PvP, but I think everyone seems to prefer the mechanics of PvP systems based off of 1v1 balancing, but in these circumstances, if you get ganged up on by 2 mages, they can easily both kill you on a 2, 1 drop and there is virtually nothing you can do about it.

I can understand if you don't want to change resist in pvp, because that will significantly alter the balance of 1v1 elements, and will nerf certain builds, but please do something about the resist in PvM, because it's really bad, I shouldn't expect to run off the screen at 40% health only to be nailed with a 47 damage flame strike 2 screens away from the source caster that miraculously never runs out of mana and then die as a result.

I don't understand how you can spend so much time working on a skill like magic resist, only to have it not work for you when you need it to. Maybe I should just drop it altogether, and just drink Magic resist potions? What do you guys think? Am I the only one that thinks magic resist on this server is bad overall?

Last edited:
I don't share the same experiences as you, I run an 80 resist char for PvP, and fight 2 mages all the time, but resist also isn't the only tool in the tool belt, mages have a ton of spike damage, and if you stay and let mages cast all their damage you won't be able to heal from it. When I see mages coming on screen, I chug a strength pot to boost my HP from 100 to 120, then start a 15 second bandage, and then chug a heal pot to get me to 120 health. A mage dump is traditionally Explo-Ebolt from both, you'll survive that with 120 hp, and you should be on the move at this point so they can't follow up with another spell right away... You can also attempt to disrupt one of the mages in the combo to achieve zen, with a quick attack, or spell. But if you do this, you put yourself at risk as your bandage probably isn't ready to come through for the save yet.

With PvM - resist is a great tool, but also use greater resist potions, it's an additional 30% resist. Additionally, if you are dexxing, and you take parry, you can absorb spells, and return that spell damage (up to 250 stored), back on mobs. They've done some great quality custom changes for skills that really elevate how you can play in PvM. I watch PvM tanks, who absorb large amounts of spell damage from daemons and other mobs, where traditionally they'd not have been able to, but it's all about using all the tools at your disposal. Also when you move past 7x Gm, and get into the aspect game, certain suits of armor will also give you more resilience...

NO wonder i made 120 dmaage with a viking sword!! damn thank you! i was wondering if it was a Bug!!
i even reported it to Owyn ..... thank you for the clear explanation. But is there a way to know about the 250 stored?

I have been xplod, double fs'd more times than I can count....screens away, even through walls (rag witch mind blasted me through 3 walls of the maze in Ossuary when I had retreated to aid....definitely not LOS). Being on foot makes this much more of a bear to deal with. I run 80 parry and seem to only parry maybe 1-2 in 10 spells.
Sure there are pots and with alch you can get higher resist, aspect armor etc....but for those of us not hunting the high end stuff just yet and on a budget, getting nuked down by plain wisps and liches while the nearby bluebie loots our gold just feels cheap.
Maybe the lower stuff could be toned down a tad, at least on their range and the LOS looked at.

Think im going to switch to the staple peacing build

I have been xplod, double fs'd more times than I can count....screens away, even through walls (rag witch mind blasted me through 3 walls of the maze in Ossuary when I had retreated to aid....definitely not LOS). Being on foot makes this much more of a bear to deal with. I run 80 parry and seem to only parry maybe 1-2 in 10 spells.
Sure there are pots and with alch you can get higher resist, aspect armor etc....but for those of us not hunting the high end stuff just yet and on a budget, getting nuked down by plain wisps and liches while the nearby bluebie loots our gold just feels cheap.
Maybe the lower stuff could be toned down a tad, at least on their range and the LOS looked at.

Think im going to switch to the staple peacing build
I suffered same as you and at end gear i.e. with aspect we still get owned, what i am trying to say, welcome the challenge :D
Use pots = 30% less damage from spells and you will significantly see your resilience go up :D

The issue a lot of people are having is that mobs have a casting time just like players but no LOS check after the initial one to start casting, therefor you can be off screen when the flamestrike actually hits you or behind a wall. Mobs do not insta cast here thankfully.

The issue a lot of people are having is that mobs have a casting time just like players but no LOS check after the initial one to start casting, therefor you can be off screen when the flamestrike actually hits you or behind a wall. Mobs do not insta cast here thankfully.
So your saying add a LoS check at the start and at the end of the cast ?that would be actually good in a way, so melee combat ppl can have a chance to run away hmmmm

Nah I think its fine the way it is right now. Resist helps a lot, the greater resist potions help as well, and if you have parry it will do lots of damage back to them. You just need to be awake and keep an eye on your HP. Being so low is just asking for a stealth archer to kill you *hint hint*