What's new

Ship System Revamp

While most of it is in a good shape probably the biggest drawbacks are the loss of the actual ships and more importantly the upgrades and crew members. I don’t think it should be too forgiving though. There is currently almost no combat and it’s easy to understand why with all the losses and the difficulty to get reoutfitted. I considered the ability to purchase upgrades from a vendor but decided against that as it takes away from a possible player marketplace. I think gold doubloons should be more valuable than they currently are is housing and the difficulty to obtain them for housing.

Anyways what I propose is this.

Doubloons are the main reward for boating and so should be the primary focus. I would recommend that they be handled slightly different though. Instead of just dumping stacks of them into the hold
cluttering it up I recommend they be stored in a “invisible hold” as a numerical number. The main way to redeem them should be to dock the ship resulting in a check going into the backpack of the Captain so they can then cash it in the bank and divvy it up amongst the crew later. Possibly creating a check while sailing and before docking should be an option as well, when not in combat that is.

With the changes to doubloons what should happen is that you should still get a percentage of the total value of player ships you sink. In addition, though you should get a larger percentage of the doubloons which are held in the “invisible hold” of the ship. Since players don’t have to empty the hold every few ships due to a full normal hold it’s more likely they will be carrying a larger number of doubloons when sunk.
First when a ship is sunk you don’t get the value in doubloons back anymore except possibly just 10%. When Sunk a ship should be returned to the owner either to their bank or more likely to the dockmaster as a “broken hull”. The upgrades and possibly the crew still intact (crew option thing is negotiable). The ship will require repair before it can be used again though. It will also require the total cost of value to be paid including crew and upgrades to be paid before it can be launched again. In addition, upon being sunk the captain of the sunken ship receives a “map” which gives the location of the “wreckage” which a fisherman can use to fish up or Salvage “Ship Parts” as well as “chests of treasure” aka a percentage of doubloons that were lost when the ship went down either just those from the hold or even part of the registration costs/value.

The map is not blessed and the location is randomized due to currents and winds playing havoc with where the ship went down. All that is required is a high-level fishing skill 100 or greater and the map. If someone were to acquire the map from the fisherman well, they would be able to go fish it up themselves.

Now the “Salvaged Ship Parts” can be used to create a repair kit for the ship by a carpenter used to bring it back to full and useable status minus the doubloon registration cost of course. The “Hull Repair Kit” or whatever you want to call it would require the salvaged parts and some fresh wood, iron, and cloth as well. The kits should be able to be created as well via the same materials but with greater amounts in addition to requiring an MCD so selling the “salvage map” is an option but overall, it’s a way to recover some of the value lost.

In addition, I’d like to see more diversity in the crews. I think the difference in what abilities they provide is about right minus the problems they currently have with stats. Ideally, we would be able to equip our crew with whatever Armor, and Weapons so if someone wanted to spring to arm them all with Vanq X-bows they could etc. However, barring that it would be nice if being a Master Cook or Medic afforded you better armor and weapons so their stats on damage and armor would be closer to a Master Marine than it is currently and made it more likely to mix and match crew rather than stacking them totally for boarding chance and their ability to survive the damage.

It makes the system more forgiving but not without a certain amount of downtime, and adds value to doubloons and encourages some ship to ship combat as well. Plus, it still keeps MCDs as a necessary requirement and includes fishermen into a bit of the recovery portion though they may be less than thankful for it once they get held up by pirates.

I believe someone stated there were thoughts on a ransom system for ships and that would fit in here as well and be a good alternative still to having your ship sunk since you'll have to pay the doubloon price to relaunch with these proposed changes.

I agree that doubloons should be more valuable and not just for purchasing a house boat or installing crew and upgrades in your ship, maybe have an aesthetic Deco vendor for them.
As far as ships getting sunk either by players or npc's it should be a lottery if some of the npc crew manages to survive and was able swim to shore. As for the upgrades it should be a lottery also if some can be salvaged with the ship. Maybe an insurance system can be implemented using doubloons to make your ship salvageable. This has to be done in advance thru the dock master for any registered ship.

I agree that doubloons should be more valuable and not just for purchasing a house boat or installing crew and upgrades in your ship, maybe have an aesthetic Deco vendor for them.
As far as ships getting sunk either by players or npc's it should be a lottery if some of the npc crew manages to survive and was able swim to shore. As for the upgrades it should be a lottery also if some can be salvaged with the ship. Maybe an insurance system can be implemented using doubloons to make your ship salvageable. This has to be done in advance thru the dock master for any registered ship.
I'm okay with Lottery for NPCs. Insurance isn't a bad idea though typically that sort of makes people cringe thanks to how OSI did it with items. The main reason why I didn't include losing upgrades is simply the amount of time it even takes to find any and your chances of getting a good one are fairly low. If upgrades were more common or if people lost less of them then maybe but there are enough kinks in the boat system right now I'm hesitant to go that route. Considering some people get stuck boats etc and random disconnects can all get you sunk against a NPC boat in short order. I think for now keeping those upgrades is a better option and just having to pay a significant cost to relaunch is worth it. I mean I'd have to pay 250k or so to relaunch the Large I use if it went down under this system. Though I could see increasing those costs more or adding a penalty for reregistration to increase it even further.

I think they just need to add a sink for doubloons, just let us salvage the ship after it is sinks for 75% of the total value of the ship, then the ship is put on cooldown while it is repaired. crew upgrades everything remain intact. The ship combat is amazing and the amount of cool builds you can do with ships is top notch. a system that encourages people to go out on the water and fight would be amazing, when you die you already lose the loot from the ship all the gear the repair kits cannon balls bombs etc.

this would create a good balance of pirating and farming where the merchants would continue to venture out, where pirates have more people on the water to fight and doubloons will have real value that works with the current system

ahoy! heres my 2 muffins.....

another way to approach it would be to make a few bottom tier upgrades (and maybe even all the cosmetic upgrades) that can be player crafted. this would help take some of the salt out of your eyes after loosing a boat at sea. leave the good ones as is for sure.. very nice that not everyone is out banging on each other with ghost fire and venom barrage.
or perhaps make it possible to craft ship bonuses (similar to ship upgrades) that could add up to +5 or -5 to certain ship stats? (with a limit of one per ship?)

i am 100% behind the idea (not sure whose) that you should be able to safely launch and dock your ship at your houseboat. i love the idea of having a dock master similar to the old barkeep deeds you could purchase. this would make houseboats much more desirable and worth the high cost in my opinion.

wouldn't it be great if you could view boat stats on player vendors? sure would help knowing what you were getting.

i love life at sea and am excited to see what changes are on the horizon!

Last edited: