What's new

Skill gain improvements?

Any ideas on how skill gain could be improved? i see it a lot with people including myself finding it super slow at times and inconsistent i was wondering if there was a way to make it better like making active bonus stack or something

I'm fine with slow, in fact I prefer it, but yeah a lot of skill gains are really inconsistent.

Lumberjack is WAY slower to gain than it should be in my opinion.

Mining after 100 is so stupidly slow it almost seems like it is unintentional. I have over 100k ore mined, I'm in the top 20 on the server, and I just barely hit 105. Someone in the crafting channel said they have over 200k mined and are at 111. That should give you an idea of the huge discrepancy between under 100 and over 100 skill gain.

I'm fine with slow, in fact I prefer it, but yeah a lot of skill gains are really inconsistent.

Mining after 100 is so stupidly slow it almost seems like it is unintentional. I have over 100k ore mined, I'm in the top 20 on the server, and I just barely hit 105. Someone in the crafting channel said they have over 200k mined and are at 111. That should give you an idea of the huge discrepancy between under 100 and over 100 skill gain.
ive spent an hour and a half so far without a gain in magery it seems so broken other times ill gain 3.0 in 30 mins i feel like it could be improved

Comparing things like Magery gains to Magic Resist, and it's painful, can do magic resist in an evening.. Things like healing are pretty horrible, weapon skills are fairly slow... I can appreciate not having most skills gain fast, but there's a couple of considerations I'd take...
  1. 5x dexxer - make these skills gain much faster, get people into the game with a basic template, this includes having healing.
  2. Take considerations for some skills like magery/healing that have casting/lead times. I want to level this actively, I really do - it's soo not worth it, I gain .1 - .3 a night on my mage, because honestly I'm not casting summons over and over again while farming, and AoE spells just aren't worth using solo because then you don't have your tanks
  3. I think crafts should be slow, I like where they are at.. They should be an achievement.. Resource gathering however, honestly let players get in and get their feet dirty, so they can make these achievements. I think resource gathering should be slightly faster.
  4. Other skills could have adjustments all over, Tracking with passive gains, literally GM's in 6 hours, Camping you have to actively make campfires, can take 24... Forensics, you are limited to how often you can skin (I suppose you could actively use it on corpses, never did that), but I remember it taking forever to GM....
In many cases I think the best way to go, is to give decently fast gains to 75 or 80 (80 being fairly useable, plus you get a lot of bonuses like to Parry / Forensics and such) and then slow things down after that...

One thing I will say though, I hear often people are afraid to start the game without being GM, and I think that's a crock of shit.. Farming wise for PvM, if you have 10x skills @ 70, with all the additional damage boosts (forensics, tracking, camping, mining, LJ, scribe etc) you can put out great damage, and farm fairly sufficiently. Sure if a PK comes you are going to be at risk, but you can run just as fast as they can and if you start carrying pots early, you'll be fine.

Comparing things like Magery gains to Magic Resist, and it's painful, can do magic resist in an evening.. Things like healing are pretty horrible, weapon skills are fairly slow... I can appreciate not having most skills gain fast, but there's a couple of considerations I'd take...
  1. 5x dexxer - make these skills gain much faster, get people into the game with a basic template, this includes having healing.
  2. Take considerations for some skills like magery/healing that have casting/lead times. I want to level this actively, I really do - it's soo not worth it, I gain .1 - .3 a night on my mage, because honestly I'm not casting summons over and over again while farming, and AoE spells just aren't worth using solo because then you don't have your tanks
  3. I think crafts should be slow, I like where they are at.. They should be an achievement.. Resource gathering however, honestly let players get in and get their feet dirty, so they can make these achievements. I think resource gathering should be slightly faster.
  4. Other skills could have adjustments all over, Tracking with passive gains, literally GM's in 6 hours, Camping you have to actively make campfires, can take 24... Forensics, you are limited to how often you can skin (I suppose you could actively use it on corpses, never did that), but I remember it taking forever to GM....
In many cases I think the best way to go, is to give decently fast gains to 75 or 80 (80 being fairly useable, plus you get a lot of bonuses like to Parry / Forensics and such) and then slow things down after that...

One thing I will say though, I hear often people are afraid to start the game without being GM, and I think that's a crock of shit.. Farming wise for PvM, if you have 10x skills @ 70, with all the additional damage boosts (forensics, tracking, camping, mining, LJ, scribe etc) you can put out great damage, and farm fairly sufficiently. Sure if a PK comes you are going to be at risk, but you can run just as fast as they can and if you start carrying pots early, you'll be fine.
Thats my point some skills that shouldnt take long do then youll have the people who play 18 hours a day saying its ok

For some reason even many years later devs feel like character skill gains are content, which in many ways is false.
I think finished characters should be meaningful, I think the game is rather pointless before 70-80 skills, though on this server due to linear damage gains, my summoner mage at launch put out a ton of damage when he was 10x 70..

I wouldn't call skill gain content, but if people can come on to a custom server like this, set all their skills to where they want in a trivial amount of time, and that's what they are looking for, then they probably aren't looking to stick around very long either.

The latest new template is figured out, 24 hours everyone has that template and is using it in the field, while complaining that staff should nerf it, do something about it.. At least with longer skill gain, it gives some time to think about how to solve an OP skill issue for the devs.

Are you using a top end material Pick to do your mining. After 100 you only gain of the rare ore need to max the chance or mining it. Also when you hit 100 you can mine everything going above it only increases your chance of getting rarer ores. Not like other skills where you cant do things unless you are 120. Same goes for lumber

I really dont find skill gain to be slow at all. I mean yea maxing out a character is not as easy as most present day games. But the investment required really is what UO is all about.

Are you using a top end material Pick to do your mining. After 100 you only gain of the rare ore need to max the chance or mining it. Also when you hit 100 you can mine everything going above it only increases your chance of getting rarer ores. Not like other skills where you cant do things unless you are 120. Same goes for lumber
Yes I have a legendary tinkerer so I have no shortage of exceptional mastercraft verite and valorite picks.

I'm not sure anyone has actually hit 120 in mining yet.

Active skill gain play does not feel very rewarding. I did magery 0 - 100 purely with no macroing on my first tank mage and it really is a grueling experience. For those people who want to simply play the game to build their char the skill gain should be improved.

Truth is for the casual players who aren't power gaming the system, skill gain is very slow and not that rewarding. The flip side is that you have people (myself and everyone else in my guild included) who game the system by macroing with elaborate steam scripts that recalls to some weak mob and kills it every 10 minutes to keep the active gain buff going.

Basically, when you cheese the system by writing a macro that keeps active skill gain buff going, then it's super easy to macro a char to 7x. The flip side is if you're just trying to legitimately play the game and gain, the skill gain does seem way too slow. The current system is a boon for power gamers and script writers while negatively punishing the people who just want to play and gain like a normal player.

I would suggest finding a way to rework the active skill gain buff so you can't cheese the system and macro with the active skill gain buff. The whole thing goes entirely against the whole idea of rewarding active play. At the same time you need to buff actual active skill gain so it feels more rewarding and worth while to gain your skills by playing the game.

Basically make active gains go from 10x to 15x, so about a 50% gain rate for active play over what it is now, but make it impossible to macro a char with this active gain buff. This needs to be addressed for the long term health of the shard IMO.

Keep in mind this is only for combat skills. Crafting seems to be tuned fine.

Last edited:
Well when you say ambiguous horseshit with no clarification you beget stupid questions.
Okay, let's break this down.

For some reason even many years later devs feel like character skill gains are content, which in many ways is false.
So you just want a test server and throwaway characters?
Where does my sentence mention that I would prefer a test server and throwaway characters?

Next time read before regurgitating your ambiguous horseshit.

The current system gives the advantage to people who know how to make advanced steam scripts that recall to a bird every 10 minutes. It totally hinders any player who doesnt immediately adopt said macroing technique. If all that player wants to do is play a bard and max out dexxer skills/magery skills over the course of several months casually playing or several weeks actively playing (this is assuming you dont afk with 5x bonus) while getting killed by every red on the server, then the current system is perfect.

If you think skill gain here is perfect currently, you probably A) played since day 1 or for a few months B) maxed out your chars already C) use bird spot/active skill gain to AFK everything to GM D) are a red that could care less if people catch up or E) all of the above.

I am new here, but not new to UO or this staff. I love the server, the pve, the pvp, most of the community, but hate that i have to learn steam or at the very least learn to tweak other people's macros to effectively gain skill. You wont GM magery or resist in a dungeon unless you actively play many many hours a day for a few weeks minimum. I just barely got a char to 80 healing to res all the other chars who get killed by reds in dungeons.

Alternate solution if the staff isnt going to change anything, there should be stickied guides with steam macros on how to effectively bird spot basic stuff like healing, archery, magery, resist, and guides to do it with 3 chars at oncre. I know people have posted macroes if you dig for them and some are helpful and answer questions but i still have to do some research and play with steam to get them to work.

Isnt steam going to get phased out? What then? All the people that did it easily with steam had the advantage of optimal skil gain? I know you can do birdspot with razor but most people dont.

Regardless, love the shard, Owyn, Luthius, Expo and the rest of the staff are amazing and have breathed new life into this wonderful old game. It feels like a new game and a new experience. Thank you. End rant