What's new

Skill gain improvements?

The current system gives the advantage to people who know how to make advanced steam scripts that recall to a bird every 10 minutes. It totally hinders any player who doesnt immediately adopt said macroing technique. If all that player wants to do is play a bard and max out dexxer skills/magery skills over the course of several months casually playing or several weeks actively playing (this is assuming you dont afk with 5x bonus) while getting killed by every red on the server, then the current system is perfect.

If you think skill gain here is perfect currently, you probably A) played since day 1 or for a few months B) maxed out your chars already C) use bird spot/active skill gain to AFK everything to GM D) are a red that could care less if people catch up or E) all of the above.

I am new here, but not new to UO or this staff. I love the server, the pve, the pvp, most of the community, but hate that i have to learn steam or at the very least learn to tweak other people's macros to effectively gain skill. You wont GM magery or resist in a dungeon unless you actively play many many hours a day for a few weeks minimum. I just barely got a char to 80 healing to res all the other chars who get killed by reds in dungeons.

Alternate solution if the staff isnt going to change anything, there should be stickied guides with steam macros on how to effectively bird spot basic stuff like healing, archery, magery, resist, and guides to do it with 3 chars at oncre. I know people have posted macroes if you dig for them and some are helpful and answer questions but i still have to do some research and play with steam to get them to work.

Isnt steam going to get phased out? What then? All the people that did it easily with steam had the advantage of optimal skil gain? I know you can do birdspot with razor but most people dont.

Regardless, love the shard, Owyn, Luthius, Expo and the rest of the staff are amazing and have breathed new life into this wonderful old game. It feels like a new game and a new experience. Thank you. End rant
Well said and the avg person doesnt know how to make advanced macros

When you suggest skill gain isnt content one can only assume you think it shouldnt exist which leads to the assumption you also just want free character building to enjoy the things you consider “real content”.

I thought that was pretty obvious.

@Trystan i disagree. As someone who hasnt leveled anything with the lame afk active gain macros the entire process seems fine. I also dont feel like there is any pve content that you are locked out of unless you are gm because of the way skill scaling works. For reterence ive leveled a pvp macer, a tamer, and a peace dexxor. It literally never felt like leveling a character i was grinding the same petram mobs at 80 weapon skipl that im still grinding at gm. I just make better gold per hour now and its leas risky but the core gameplay hasnt changed.

The problem is more of a mindset with the playerbase who feel they cant do things without gm characters. Obviously some temps will have variance in this feeling but generally speaking it holds up.

Last edited:
I still think that letting people macro a char to 7x with active skill gain buff is a flaw in the system, it’s way too easy to build a char this way. I would like to think this goes against what the developers intended. On the flip side to actually sit there and level certain skills to GM by active play (magery, healing) come to mind is a fairly brutal process. It would make more sense if macro with active gain was removed but actual active skill gain was improved. About a 25% - 50% buff on active gain over what it is currently.

The problem is people will still macro, unless you can eliminate macros entirely, there will always be those who play the system not as intended, in truth that's half the allure of sandbox games... But the reality is, if there's a faster path to GM skills, which people believe is required to enjoy the game, then people are going to take it.. Just like if there is one mob with the highest gold yield, people will fight over it, or one source for all rewards, people will fight over it..

I don't think there is a perfect system out there, and for me most of the skill gain has been decent, there are just a few exceptions that I won't do anything but macro unless they are fixed, magery is the biggest one that stands out for me, with the delay due to casting/meditation slowness, and the fact that in the field the only circle 8 spells you are using are summoning, it becomes very long to level.

Last edited:
the way skills work here there is no need to train chars that much. Most skills you can gain till 70 in no time in the shelterisland dungeon and beginner templates work already pretty good with 10 skills at 70.

There are no perks for GM skills.

Alot of the best templates evolved into Templates with just 2-3 GM skills.

I do have to agree entirely with his sentiment, I don't actually run any 7x templates myself, with generally 3 skills at GM and 5 skills at 80, or a mix... Perhaps the solution is to look at those skills we feel are required to be GM to be effective (weapon skills at 100, magery at 100), and increase skill gain on those select few, while making the other skills level quick to 75, slow it down to 85, and slow it down even more to 100, so that you can make effective templates fast, but take some time to max them out.

If you think skill gain here is perfect currently, you probably A) played since day 1 or for a few months B) maxed out your chars already C) use bird spot/active skill gain to AFK everything to GM D) are a red that could care less if people catch up or E) all of the above.
F) You know how skills work here and that pushing for GM isnt needed.

a) yes
b) kinda
c) invented irt
d) yes
e) yes
f) yes

lol what? You can gm magery here in a couple days, same with resist.
Resist can be done in about 6 hours, however he's not wrong on magery, through actively playing it can take weeks, because you aren't summoning/resurrecting, or earthquaking over and over while actively playing... With that said, yes, in a couple of days with an active gains macro, that just casts summons over and over is possible. But the point here is that people who want to actually play, are being forced to macro for some skills, because it can take weeks of casual play to level things like magery up.

Resist can be done in about 6 hours, however he's not wrong on magery, through actively playing it can take weeks, because you aren't summoning/resurrecting, or earthquaking over and over while actively playing... With that said, yes, in a couple of days with an active gains macro, that just casts summons over and over is possible. But the point here is that people who want to actually play, are being forced to macro for some skills, because it can take weeks of casual play to level things like magery up.
Ok no need to talk about me in the third person when directly responding to my post. Just giving my two cents. You say magery can be done in a few days but thats like 24 7 bird spot macroing i dont see ppl going to dungeons spamming flame strike and air elemental. You all talk about knowing how skills work and how easy things are which points to the end of my post which is just better guides. You dont want players trying to figure out the most optimal way to raise skills in terms of macroing and gold efficiency months into their experience on the server. Again if steam is getting phased out how is it fair that most people GMed their skills using 5x bonus afk with steam macros. Instead of saying everything is easy and X person doesnt understand skill gain why not cite a guide with a good macro instead of making it seem like people are just bad/dont know how to use steam. Resist in 6 hours? Is that actively playing, or 6 hours of bird spot? Im aware you can get it to 70 very quickly in the newbie dungeon.

Ok no need to talk about me in the third person when directly responding to my post. Just giving my two cents. You say magery can be done in a few days but thats like 24 7 bird spot macroing i dont see ppl going to dungeons spamming flame strike and air elemental. You all talk about knowing how skills work and how easy things are which points to the end of my post which is just better guides. You dont want players trying to figure out the most optimal way to raise skills in terms of macroing and gold efficiency months into their experience on the server. Again if steam is getting phased out how is it fair that most people GMed their skills using 5x bonus afk with steam macros. Instead of saying everything is easy and X person doesnt understand skill gain why not cite a guide with a good macro instead of making it seem like people are just bad/dont know how to use steam. Resist in 6 hours? Is that actively playing, or 6 hours of bird spot? Im aware you can get it to 70 very quickly in the newbie dungeon.
I'm going to assume you either responded to the wrong person, or didn't read my post. I was disagreeing with the guy who laughed and said magery/resist could be done in a couple of days, I'm in agreement with you, I've been working Magery since launch a few hours a week on my summoner, who I refuse to macro with, and he's still only 95. Actively playing as a mage it's incredibly slow to gain magery UNLESS you use an active gains macro, which I personally wasn't the design intent of the active gain buff. I'd like to see it fixed, before more people abuse it to GM their skills.

Resist is actively playing, just go to any graveyard to 80, the lyceaum is great to 100, you just have to engage spell casters, over and over, get your gains, then kill them, move to the next one wait for the first to respawn... I've done Shelter Dungeon to 70 on teh skele mages second floor in about an hour, then the Prev GY south of Prev skele mages / necromancers / banshees to 80/85 in about 1-2 hours, then moved to Lyceaum where they all cast higher level spells more often to finish it off.

As far as a recommendation on Magery, cast Flamestrikes to 90 while hunting, you can gain to 90 pretty actively, at 90 you can fairly reliably cast summons... then the last 10 points of magery really aren't mandatory to play the game, just gain organically...

I still think that letting people macro a char to 7x with active skill gain buff is a flaw in the system, it’s way too easy to build a char this way. I would like to think this goes against what the developers intended. On the flip side to actually sit there and level certain skills to GM by active play (magery, healing) come to mind is a fairly brutal process. It would make more sense if macro with active gain was removed but actual active skill gain was improved. About a 25% - 50% buff on active gain over what it is currently.
Im fine with that. I dont think my post contradicts this ideology.

I'm going to assume you either responded to the wrong person, or didn't read my post. I was disagreeing with the guy who laughed and said magery/resist could be done in a couple of days, I'm in agreement with you, I've been working Magery since launch a few hours a week on my summoner, who I refuse to macro with, and he's still only 95. Actively playing as a mage it's incredibly slow to gain magery UNLESS you use an active gains macro, which I personally wasn't the design intent of the active gain buff. I'd like to see it fixed, before more people abuse it to GM their skills.

Resist is actively playing, just go to any graveyard to 80, the lyceaum is great to 100, you just have to engage spell casters, over and over, get your gains, then kill them, move to the next one wait for the first to respawn... I've done Shelter Dungeon to 70 on teh skele mages second floor in about an hour, then the Prev GY south of Prev skele mages / necromancers / banshees to 80/85 in about 1-2 hours, then moved to Lyceaum where they all cast higher level spells more often to finish it off.

As far as a recommendation on Magery, cast Flamestrikes to 90 while hunting, you can gain to 90 pretty actively, at 90 you can fairly reliably cast summons... then the last 10 points of magery really aren't mandatory to play the game, just gain organically...
This is all very helpful! Ive been dabbling in gathering, got a tamer to about 91, and have a almost a finished pve bard and a bunch of unfinished pvp chars. I guess not using birdspot is an effective gold and timesink...

ive spent an hour and a half so far without a gain in magery it seems so broken other times ill gain 3.0 in 30 mins i feel like it could be improved
I am new here, but not new to UO or this staff. I love the server, the pve, the pvp, most of the community, but hate that i have to learn steam or at the very least learn to tweak other people's macros to effectively gain skill. You wont GM magery or resist in a dungeon unless you actively play many many hours a day for a few weeks minimum. I just barely got a char to 80 healing to res all the other chars who get killed by reds in dungeons.
[/QUOTE]

Then you really dont know what you are doing I GMed out healing in not that long a time just farming gold in the open world. Capped out my Peace/Farmer in not that long all while farming gold to fund my other chars.

Skill gains are more then fine in this server. If it was any easier you could 7x a guy afk in a couple days.

Then you really dont know what you are doing I GMed out healing in not that long a time just farming gold in the open world. Capped out my Peace/Farmer in not that long all while farming gold to fund my other chars.

Skill gains are more then fine in this server. If it was any easier you could 7x a guy afk in a couple days.[/QUOTE]
You mean you GMed healing in a dungeon/overland farming mobs on a char? So is that how everyone does it? Most of the chars i want to have healing on are not pve chars so i farm gold on a pve char and macro it in town on pvp chars. Just saying macroing 5x afk in town from killing a bird in your macro should be made more difficult for those who "make clever use of it." Id love to hear the staff weigh in on this as clearly there are users who are not thrilled that people do it.

I think the first step would be to reintroduce the proposed plan of removing active buff if you recall/gate/hike.
Rewards actual active play while removing the scripters