What's new

Skill gain improvements?

You mean you GMed healing in a dungeon/overland farming mobs on a char? So is that how everyone does it? Most of the chars i want to have healing on are not pve chars so i farm gold on a pve char and macro it in town on pvp chars. Just saying macroing 5x afk in town from killing a bird in your macro should be made more difficult for those who "make clever use of it." Id love to hear the staff weigh in on this as clearly there are users who are not thrilled that people do it.
So do you want easier skill gains or to take away the the 5x from people who took the time to build a macro. Yes you could stop some by removing the buff if you recall,gate hike. But it wouldnt stop everyone lots of houses with constant easy spawn out front that could be used to macro.

So do you want easier skill gains or to take away the the 5x from people who took the time to build a macro. Yes you could stop some by removing the buff if you recall,gate hike. But it wouldnt stop everyone lots of houses with constant easy spawn out front that could be used to macro.
I think in general people are looking for active gains to be about playing actively, and not macroing in one spot all day long, to game the system for faster games.

Could require a variant spawn every 3 kills in combination with the recall/gate/hike change, so that if you are killing the same spawn over and over again you won't get the buffs.. Ideally I think people are looking for active gains to be about actually active gains. Of course, at some point, a person will just make a script to walk between two variant spawns in relative proximity...

Or you raise the chance to gain for everyone, making it super easy for macro's, but easy for people to level players casually, which in the end will make it more enjoyable for more people, yet giving easy access to those who want to ring out 10 chars across their accounts in a hurry.. I don't agree with teh change but it's a concept.

Slightly increase magery/healing/melee skill gain rates unbuffed, but for a 5x buff people should have to change targets? U cant just gm magery spamming it on one target in a dungeon with 5x buff hypothetically?? Isnt there a limit to how much skill you can gain from a mob? Why not limit the amount of skill gain from active buff against players? What minority of the server's population at this point would care about that? Most of them already abused 5x bonus to max out their chars assuming they only have 3 accounts. How will current new players and future new players benefit from the current way that players use 5x bird spotting to max out magery+ other skills(esp if they arent doing it/know how to)

Seems what people want is easily max out a pvp char afk.

This post started saying its to hard to skill up here. - Which it really isnt even without and active buff script running.

But the only argument is well its not fair that the player who took the time to get a kill script running to have the active buff going have it easier than me. Kind of a if I cant have it no one should attitude.

I will concede that yes running said script goes against active play, so lets say the block it remove it some how. Well that does not address the complaints here it wont make it any easier to skill up just makes it harder for some.

So I have no issue with removing ways to keep the active buff going while afk. However skill gain is fine making it easier to afk cap a char would harm the server.

I think the skill gain is good, not perfect, I think when most look at the skill gain as being difficult, they are looking at some black sheep skills, that really don't fit.
In my eyes, you really need to determine a base line for skill gain, a vision for it, and then rate all the skills against it.. What do you want to accomplish? I want new users to be able to play relatively quickly,

Mine would be:
  1. combat/adventure skills are roughly 24 hours of in game play at 5x gains
  2. resource gathering/crafting skills are roughly 120 hours of in game play time.. (no 5x gains)
  3. Additional utility skills / damage modifiers, especially these new feature ones that add so much versatility to builds, roughly 12 hours of in game play at 5x gains (so you can swap them out and try different things as you perfect your theorycrafted builds..
Some example skills that don't fall into the above in my eyes:
  • Magery - this is about 60 hours of in game time with 5x gains - due to the fact you have to cast an 8th level spell from 90-100, and med after over and over, it's not something that's feasible to actively gain while playing, and feels more like 150 hours.. this is an issue, forces you to macro.
  • Resist - this is about 8 hours of in game time (if you game it with 4-5 casters on you), I'm ok with this personally, as 1v1 it's about 24 hours.
  • Parry - this is about 8 hours of in game time, if you game it with 4-5 mobs on you), I'm ok with this personally ,as 1v1 it's about 24 hours.
  • Wrestle/Macing/Fencing/Swords/Tactics - these are about 24 hours with an active gains macro, but if you are hunting, it feels like 40 hours due to downtime between mobs.. this is an issue, forces you to macro.
  • Cooking - I'm pretty sure there were cooks out there in 24 hours of in game time cooking in the first week of the shard...
  • Poisoning - While this is resource heavy, I believe it's about 36 hours (my own experience is only to GM). Debate-able if this is a craft or not - people sell poisoned weapons, i'm inclined to consider it a craft, because I don't want to see every other person with a lethal poison dexxer!
  • Taming - I don't know where to put this other than to say it's generally the number one farming build, and we don't need tamers as the only characters out there. You can sell animals right? I guess it should be 120 hours, haven't played a tamer, is that where it's falling I hear it's grueling...
  • Forensics - I hate to put this in the 120 range, but alas, it's a gathering skill, a lucrative one
  • Tracking - this is about 8 hours of in game time, could be slowed down a little, especially since it's passive
  • Camping - this is about 12 hours, the problem is you have to run a macro on it every 2 seconds to gain it that fast while your playing, making it a skill that's just easier to macro, as it feels like its about 40 hours throw manual leveling... this is an issue, forces you to macro.
  • Anatomy/Arms Lore - these are about 24 hours with an active gains macro, but if you are hunting, it feels like 40 hours due to downtime between mobs.. this is an issue, forces you to macro.

I think the skill gain is good, not perfect, I think when most look at the skill gain as being difficult, they are looking at some black sheep skills, that really don't fit.
In my eyes, you really need to determine a base line for skill gain, a vision for it, and then rate all the skills against it.. What do you want to accomplish? I want new users to be able to play relatively quickly,

Mine would be:
  1. combat/adventure skills are roughly 24 hours of in game play at 5x gains
  2. resource gathering/crafting skills are roughly 120 hours of in game play time.. (no 5x gains)
  3. Additional utility skills / damage modifiers, especially these new feature ones that add so much versatility to builds, roughly 12 hours of in game play at 5x gains (so you can swap them out and try different things as you perfect your theorycrafted builds..
Some example skills that don't fall into the above in my eyes:
  • Magery - this is about 60 hours of in game time with 5x gains - due to the fact you have to cast an 8th level spell from 90-100, and med after over and over, it's not something that's feasible to actively gain while playing, and feels more like 150 hours.. this is an issue, forces you to macro.
  • Resist - this is about 8 hours of in game time (if you game it with 4-5 casters on you), I'm ok with this personally, as 1v1 it's about 24 hours.
  • Parry - this is about 8 hours of in game time, if you game it with 4-5 mobs on you), I'm ok with this personally ,as 1v1 it's about 24 hours.
  • Wrestle/Macing/Fencing/Swords/Tactics - these are about 24 hours with an active gains macro, but if you are hunting, it feels like 40 hours due to downtime between mobs.. this is an issue, forces you to macro.
  • Cooking - I'm pretty sure there were cooks out there in 24 hours of in game time cooking in the first week of the shard...
  • Poisoning - While this is resource heavy, I believe it's about 36 hours (my own experience is only to GM). Debate-able if this is a craft or not - people sell poisoned weapons, i'm inclined to consider it a craft, because I don't want to see every other person with a lethal poison dexxer!
  • Taming - I don't know where to put this other than to say it's generally the number one farming build, and we don't need tamers as the only characters out there. You can sell animals right? I guess it should be 120 hours, haven't played a tamer, is that where it's falling I hear it's grueling...
  • Forensics - I hate to put this in the 120 range, but alas, it's a gathering skill, a lucrative one
  • Tracking - this is about 8 hours of in game time, could be slowed down a little, especially since it's passive
  • Camping - this is about 12 hours, the problem is you have to run a macro on it every 2 seconds to gain it that fast while your playing, making it a skill that's just easier to macro, as it feels like its about 40 hours throw manual leveling... this is an issue, forces you to macro.
  • Anatomy/Arms Lore - these are about 24 hours with an active gains macro, but if you are hunting, it feels like 40 hours due to downtime between mobs.. this is an issue, forces you to macro.
you forgot healing but its another, this is an issue forces you to macro, but i guess the difference between 80s and gm isn't huge.

you forgot healing but its another, this is an issue forces you to macro, but i guess the difference between 80s and gm isn't huge.
I haven't taken healing above 80 on a toon, but to 80 it's only about 3 hours of active play, I'll know tonight how long actively it takes, but if you are constantly fighting, and starting bandages as soon as you take even 1 point of damage, it can go up fairly quick while fighting, basically in line with your fighting skills. unless it slows down tremendously from 80-100...

In the sense that healing is what keeps your players alive while training, I wouldn't mind seeing this as more of a 12 hour skill - but honestly I don't think its as bad as many people say.

I found healing extremely fast, maybe I was doing something wrong.
I agree with you on the magery issue, I am up to 80 magery and not looking forward to 80-100 stage. However I don't macro, so it won't force me to macro. I will just never get to GM magery.