What's new

Summoner Stones

I'd like to suggest the expiration timer of summon stones be removed for balancing and smoother game play. Currently, Summoners are the only class that have a "wind up" before they start performing. Dexers can walk into a dungeon and good to go, tamers also have no wind up with even stronger pets than the summoner. A summoner on the other hand, after 5 hours of down time has to regather spirits to fill a stone at least up to 50% to get the first ancient demon going. Granted, this isn't a "game breaking" mechanic but it just puts a point of annoyance in logging on to waist regs on trash to fill your stone to really get the ball rolling when no other class has to waist resources to perform at max potential. I don't see any reason to keep an expiration timer on the summoners spell/spirit stones, let the summoner players enjoy going to their favorite farm spot when they log in instead of having to go through the annoying wind up first.

Some people will fill 20 stones, and keep them in their bank - it's supposed to be a means of resource management for a summoner - which is already a part of mage game play, so not too far a fetch for a summoner.. I have no issue with a timer, or honestly taking 3 min to build up a stone before playing, it really doesn't take very long, and generally I keep them full as I farm.. I do agree 6 hours is a little light, I don't see anything wrong with 24 hours, like aspect is/was, other things are..

I never said it took long, it's just a simple annoyance and no reason to have a wind up when every other class doesn't. Sure you could farm up 20+ stones to stash in your bank without a timer but what point would it serve. Summoners already have resource management with regs and mana, some of the harder tier mobs can take out ancient demons pretty quickly, you can burn through two stones without issue unless you are with someone that is running, or your running peacemaking yourself. Sure you sometimes get mana back using spell books but its not a guarantee, its nice to have but i wouldn't call that negating mana for resource management. Aspect gear is it's own beast, not a core mechanic of a class so I feel it shouldn't even be put into the same topic. There just isn't any real reason to not let a player run at full potential on his summoner when other classes can. Just because something is "suppose" to be something doesn't mean its a good fit.

While I would prefer no expiration, I would be happy with 24 hours over 6 for sure. One of the reasons I don't like tmapping with my summoner. I'm usually 3-5 maps deep before I even have a full stone. Much easier to jump on a tamer and do them. I'd like to do more on my summoner to level up my eldritch aspect, but its really slow to start.

Who doesn't think summoning is worthwhile? People need to get to talking to summoners who have worked on their templates, most of the main summoners on the shard do very very well with their builds.. You just have to get creative..

Forgive me ignorance about the lives of summoners. I admit to not having actually tried any summoner templates. I've just heard people complain that it's ineffective. Those people must be lame or something - which happens often enough.

Forgive me ignorance about the lives of summoners. I admit to not having actually tried any summoner templates. I've just heard people complain that it's ineffective. Those people must be lame or something - which happens often enough.
A ton of people complained when they brought summoners down in efficiency, but I still see screenshots of summoners pulling off 30-35 DPS, which is pretty on par, or close to tamers, much higher than glass cannon mages / dexxers... So they can't be all bad.

I don't really think anyone here is saying they are bad. Are the less than tamers? Yes. The issue here is being able to login and "GO" like every other class. Summoner are the only class that needs to "wind-up" before they are effective.

Winding up literally takes like 2-3 minutes.. but selfishly, I'd love to see them go back to 24 hours on the stones. They do need to decay at some point though.

My thinking is that summons should be slightly stronger than tamed pets due to casting time, mana cost, and damage from dispel.

They're temporary, weaker, easier to kill, and require additional resources.

Training a tamer takes longer but really I don't think that should lead to an advantage outside of mere prestige.

I'm saying this as a tamer btw.

I think the stone should also charge more from your party's/guildmate's kills, not the full 100% that solo killing the mob would but more than currently. Sometimes the summons just don't do that much damage and are just there to tank while the dexxers get 90% of the damage done. This leaves you with near empty stones quite often.

My thinking is that summons should be slightly stronger than tamed pets due to casting time, mana cost, and damage from dispel.

They're temporary, weaker, easier to kill, and require additional resources.

Training a tamer takes longer but really I don't think that should lead to an advantage outside of mere prestige.

I'm saying this as a tamer btw.
I never got the argument of "tamers are harder to level up so they should be better than summoners". I GM'd my tamer in about a week of active taming. I didn't have any other skills other than taming and peace to start. It literally cost me about 500 gold in instruments to GM taming. My summoner took thousands of regs to GM magery and would have taken a LONG time if i did it active and didn't macro.