What's new

Test Center Patch

50 cores is too rich for my blood but I can just play alts. I do like that we may be able to move some of the more useless skill scrolls like Arms Lore after this though.

Aspect items and high end scrolls are only expensive because of the lack of goldsinks. Gold is less and less valuable as time goes on because it is never taken out of the game world aside from houses and the rare player unlocking a customization

I think the item sink is fine for creating the echo, it helps get rid of unwanted cores and scrolls (poison cores / arms lore and dtect hidden, etc). Maybe add a 50k-100k cost to activate it (and not arcane essence). Also, at current values, the price of MCD's will shoot up again making other activities prohibitive for new players... boating, for example

maybe archery just is not efficient unless stealth so its a skewed view :)

the wiki entry for stacking 50% hinder (if hindered gain additional 50% damage) is not currently active (or miswritten on wiki) and has been reported to devs.

it would resolve most of my balance concerns with archery if a creature that is hindered received a 50% bonus if hindered a second time in the window.

I also need to confirm that heavy xbow consistently hinders for 8 seconds since sometimes it feels like 4-8.

Last edited:
The ability to see bosses when dead (and your corpse isn't near by) needs to be removed.
This is another underhanded way people scout bosses with zero commitment and minimal chance of being spotted.
I completely agree, I thought this was going to adequated changed when they recently changed the way death works inside of a dungeon.

Just do it like UO Legacy did - ghosts can see nothing away from their corpse, but players can see them in war mode.

• Each Boss room now has a Custodian creature that spawns and patrols the room while the Boss is not currently spawned (and will disappear if the Boss does spawn)
  • Custodians periodically search the Boss room for players and tamed creatures and will reveal any found
  • Revealed players/tamed creatures will have a firefield dropped on them, will be prevented from rehiding for 10 seconds, and will likely be attacked by the Custodian
What about lockpickers going after 7/8 chests? This screws them pretty hard.

im sure its not nonstop to kill pickers. There are people that idle/macro in boss rooms from $ to monitor/monopolize boss spawns pretty much everytime I check the boss rooms. Often two afk naked players. Go test it on test and report back.

Pickers will need to actively play too and not afk macro and wait for chests to spawn.

Love the boss custodian idea. One major concern though... how do lockpickers get the 7/8 without attracting the custodian?
The custodian will only attack if the player is revealed I suppose, so if a lockpick walks in like nothing happened when there is no boss, then its fine, and they can walk in with stealth when there is a boss in there because custodian will be despawned

Thank you for the much-needed shrine loot changes! Everyone I know is excited about finally getting to try them now that it won't be completely pointless.

I don't really understand the logic behind the 8 second autodispel and bard cooldown making mini bosses tougher for summoners and bards, though. Those are the builds that newer/casual players are more likely to have, and that's who should be attempting to do mini bosses while the vets focus on the tougher endgame content.

As for this Echo stuff... my feeling is that it's not well thought out, and not needed. It's pretty frustrating that Achievement point bugs are still not fixed almost 6 months in, which stalls basic character development, and yet time is being spent on frivolous stuff like this that literally only one person asked for.

Also, making them a limited-item resource sink is the worst idea ever. If we must have this Echoes thing it should be gold only. I agree 100% with what AreYouKidden said, the rising inflation on aspect and skill scrolls is out of control and it's not a good thing for the shard despite what some want to believe. The whole "but a noob can get a 70k taming scroll!" argument is just stupid, I've played here since launch and haven't dropped a single taming scroll, and with aspect the prices are already so inflated that you'll never get as much out of it as you put in.

Sir.

Journeyman
Pro's

I think this shard is great in so many new ways that UO needed, we needed, after 20 years. And with the immense amount of well thought out content that has been added here on Outlands thus far, it's my belief that in any industry/project that it's always smart to, every now and then, take a step back from the work-station or drawing board and just take a good look at the whole thing and see how it's working.

So far, the map is beautifully new and a good size right now. Skill revamps alone and their dynamic usage has been forged like a well balanced sword. Aspect suits have been reworked to a well refined character goal for almost everyone. The crafting system revamp, naval combat and life at sea, guild and diplomacy customizations, new char customization and graphics and so much more! But most importantly, two elements that make it work: a thriving community and a professional staff. It sucks any old UO player right in after giving it a shot and brings us close to that old nostalgic feeling you used to get when Stones started playing and that chest opened up on the intro screen... yeah..

Con's

With all of the positives there being said, I think it's the right amount right now. Too much (too fast) can be hard for the average player to keep up with firstly, but there is a beautiful simplicity and familiarity to UO's core elements that attract us to it. If it get's too far off from those core elements we'll begin to feel unfamiliar with the game and not recognize it as that elegantly simple world of harshness where anything is possible that keeps us coming back for more.

Not only that, but a system like Echo's, though well designed, will have some serious economic impact as AreYouKidden pointed out (and spoke well about tier progression in game for a players overall experience also). I feel Echo's is not actually necessary here, and heard it related to Soulstones, which is getting too far away from the old recipe of UO that draws us all in imo.

Other games that break away from the forced-immersion type effect that UO just has on people have done a poor job at keeping players connected by making their "Massive-Multiplayer Online" games more of a single-player type experience through things like instanced dungeons, daily missions, and respec'ing a character at will... It becomes a "theme park" experience where a lot of players feel like they're just being occupied for their time or dollar in keeping up with the daily carnival games in the end.

Feedback

I think you guys have done an outstanding job with all you have done to literally make UO great again :D The amount of focus and attention to all of the various areas of the game you guys are really taking serious on fixing is such an appreciated feature of this shard by the community too, let me tell ya. I think, though, it might be a good idea to put the echo's on hold and step back look at this massively awesome achievement you guys made and let some of us noobs catch up with all the content -- and go relax and have a beer guys, sheesh! lol

Focusing on the tweaks like "fixed an area of a specific house that wasn't allowing lockdowns on 1 tile outside" is such a fine detail example that I always LOVE seeing because it means this shard is going to be absolutely pristine in time with all of the polishing continuing. Maybe it's a good place to stop after Mastery Chains and Tome of Heroism to reshift the focus back onto the shard itself for more polish and refinement work? It really is a good feeling to see so many polish fixes regularly in the patch notes!

One last note: the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid). Keep it near you here in UO. I think it has a huge part to play in "how" this game was put together at the core; simply and elegantly raw. I hear two things a lot from players:
1. Gumps are beautiful but hard to comprehend (maybe a way to "hide" all of the math/numbers in some gumps unless hovered over or clicked on to show details would help some?)
2. They were almost too intimidated with all the new content to even try Outlands (but glad they did because after playing it's not too different as they initially assumed)

So keeping it simple and where it's at now with content seems like a current Goldilocks zone, with some room to play in until it's time to grow again. Too much new stuff and new-players might not find it as familiar as they do now when they try it out for their first impression. And everyone appreciates a well polished game ;)

That's just my feedback/critique on the overall state of the shard while it feels nicely balanced. I also have to say I always appreciate reading @AreYouKidden 's feedback as it's straight forward and what a good artist/dev needs to hear if they really want to "improve" from real, well thought out feedback/data (that doesn't mean you gotta do what we say, though! Just use that data for the best choice for your assessment/creation!).

Huzzah! Great job Outlands!

Staff has said achievements need to be fixed several times.. btw more than one person asked for soulstones... with that said, not a fan of the implementation of them myself. I believe echos, if implemented need to be done with the intent to try a new path, without losing what you've sunk time/gold into, not be able to swap back and forth for efficiency sake.. 100k to swap, once every 24 hours, no way to speed up the cooldown... Or more so, down with soulstones, 50k to pull 1 skill off your template with a stone, which could be added back at anytime, but you'd need to pull a different skill off to add one back..

Last edited:
Pro's

I think this shard is great in so many new ways that UO needed, we needed, after 20 years. And with the immense amount of well thought out content that has been added here on Outlands thus far, it's my belief that in any industry/project that it's always smart to, every now and then, take a step back from the work-station or drawing board and just take a good look at the whole thing and see how it's working.

So far, the map is beautifully new and a good size right now. Skill revamps alone and their dynamic usage has been forged like a well balanced sword. Aspect suits have been reworked to a well refined character goal for almost everyone. The crafting system revamp, naval combat and life at sea, guild and diplomacy customizations, new char customization and graphics and so much more! But most importantly, two elements that make it work: a thriving community and a professional staff. It sucks any old UO player right in after giving it a shot and brings us close to that old nostalgic feeling you used to get when Stones started playing and that chest opened up on the intro screen... yeah..

Con's

With all of the positives there being said, I think it's the right amount right now. Too much (too fast) can be hard for the average player to keep up with firstly, but there is a beautiful simplicity and familiarity to UO's core elements that attract us to it. If it get's too far off from those core elements we'll begin to feel unfamiliar with the game and not recognize it as that elegantly simple world of harshness where anything is possible that keeps us coming back for more.

Not only that, but a system like Echo's, though well designed, will have some serious economic impact as AreYouKidden pointed out (and spoke well about tier progression in game for a players overall experience also). I feel Echo's is not actually necessary here, and heard it related to Soulstones, which is getting too far away from the old recipe of UO that draws us all in imo.

Other games that break away from the forced-immersion type effect that UO just has on people have done a poor job at keeping players connected by making their "Massive-Multiplayer Online" games more of a single-player type experience through things like instanced dungeons, daily missions, and respec'ing a character at will... It becomes a "theme park" experience where a lot of players feel like they're just being occupied for their time or dollar in keeping up with the daily carnival games in the end.

Feedback

I think you guys have done an outstanding job with all you have done to literally make UO great again :D The amount of focus and attention to all of the various areas of the game you guys are really taking serious on fixing is such an appreciated feature of this shard by the community too, let me tell ya. I think, though, it might be a good idea to put the echo's on hold and step back look at this massively awesome achievement you guys made and let some of us noobs catch up with all the content -- and go relax and have a beer guys, sheesh! lol

Focusing on the tweaks like "fixed an area of a specific house that wasn't allowing lockdowns on 1 tile outside" is such a fine detail example that I always LOVE seeing because it means this shard is going to be absolutely pristine in time with all of the polishing continuing. Maybe it's a good place to stop after Mastery Chains and Tome of Heroism to reshift the focus back onto the shard itself for more polish and refinement work? It really is a good feeling to see so many polish fixes regularly in the patch notes!

One last note: the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid). Keep it near you here in UO. I think it has a huge part to play in "how" this game was put together at the core; simply and elegantly raw. I hear two things a lot from players:
1. Gumps are beautiful but hard to comprehend (maybe a way to "hide" all of the math/numbers in some gumps unless hovered over or clicked on to show details would help some?)
2. They were almost too intimidated with all the new content to even try Outlands (but glad they did because after playing it's not too different as they initially assumed)

So keeping it simple and where it's at now with content seems like a current Goldilocks zone, with some room to play in until it's time to grow again. Too much new stuff and new-players might not find it as familiar as they do now when they try it out for their first impression. And everyone appreciates a well polished game ;)

That's just my feedback/critique on the overall state of the shard while it feels nicely balanced. I also have to say I always appreciate reading @AreYouKidden 's feedback as it's straight forward and what a good artist/dev needs to hear if they really want to "improve" from real, well thought out feedback/data (that doesn't mean you gotta do what we say, though! Just use that data for the best choice for your assessment/creation!).

Huzzah! Great job Outlands!
Well put.
There needs to be a balance between growing vertically (adding new features) and growing horizontally (polishing current features).

Or as a friend used to say about another game "Oh no, more cool crap".

IMHO, MMOs should allow a respec if devs introduce true game-changers.

I think soulstones come closer to a true respec than echoes, at least for players who level several characters simultaneously and would have to redistribute skills between their chars after a game-changer.

The Problem is for players like me who can't spend there whole live into this shard its hard to get anything done here. Its not hard to GM Character here like on any other freeshard right now since they gladly removed the active skill bonus, but its hard to get get into the aspect stuff + mastery skills as casual player. That does not means i'm a noob, i played Ultima Online over years and i know what im doing. It just means i simply havn't the time to spend 24h on this free shard to get anything done. I can spend maybe 1 or 2 hours per day under the week into this game and it feels like i got nothing finished. I had big plans on release and i created a template chart for all my accounts but i removed it, because i realized its impossible. I got my bard dexxer template done after 4 months of grinding now and im still at t8 lyrics and started my alchemy dexxer now, but i got really sick of the whole grinding. I know grinding is life, but at some point its getting to much. If echoes are not coming, i guess i quit and go back to UOR. For me at least Echoes are not needed, but on a freesahrd where you need 720 Skillcap + Aspect Gear to be good in PvM it is!!! If i think about the Chain system i need to puck too, sorry. :p All that content is great and all but why making it so grind heavy? Its ridiculous for new players and opportunity players...

The grind is intended to keep players playing the game out in the world, if there wasn't a grind the world would be empty, people would have no reason to farm, or even play. Many have complained it was too easy, maxed out their tiers, wanted more. The reality is though, not all content is for anyone, and mastery chains is one of those items that is definitely not necessary for anyone..

I find it ironic that my highest aspect is tier 7 eldritch, and I feel like Avadon fulfills what I want in a UO world fully, while you @Reva are T8 in an aspect and feeling like you've achieved nothing...E Everytime I play, I feel like I'm progressing as I'm completing a society job and getting some points, or gaining achievement points, faction points, slowly working towards some reward, and on top of that constantly gaining aspect experience..

Curious though, how do echos enhance your game? How do they add anything to it? They in fact just have you working towards new skills, is it because you don't want to grind aspect over? You don't lose your skill caps, if you want to try another template with your Lyric, just do it? Like you said, skills especially now active gains are gone, aren't that hard to level..

With echoes i can finally create my summoner bard, instead of grinding all skills over and over again. I simply need to grind magery and ss on my bard dexxer and im done. 720 skill cap will not change i guess. So it is a big deal at least for me, because you don't need to buy Skill Orbs and Barding Skill Scrolls for a huge price again. GMing is not hard but getting 120 in all Barding skills AGAIN is and i won't lose my bard dexxer too or creating another toon for making a bard summoner. Instead of this i can finally switch between my bard dexxer and summoner bard how i feel like and just enjoying the game. One day i want to be a dexxer one day a summoner. I personally think thats really good and makes grinding not that boring. It give flexebility to the grind. My Alchemy dexxer with 120 Alchemy i can finally make to a void parry dexxer and switching templates too. Simple as that. Grinding and enjoying the content is a different thing than doing the stupid skill grinding over and over again.

On UOR btw. I have done 8 toons or more and i never got bored or sick of any of this chars i finished. Its just at some point you simply want to grind and enjoy the content instead of farming Orbs, Skillscrolls and all this shit. You can spend you gold finally in other things or projects! like your house! hues! etc. etc. etc. Grinding Aspect Gear i would say is one thing i like so far, but grinding skills orbs and scrolls is stupid once you have it done one time.

Those are the very reasons I'd like to see echos but implemented very differently, I think players shouldn't be able to switch more than every 24 hours, and there should be a fee to switch, that is significant, but not crazy, 25k per switch maybe..

Considering many of us have invested I to multiple characters with multiple aspects, some even the same aspect on 2-3 characters, something like echos is extremely polarizing.. we'd all have played this world entirely different I'm sure if echos were available from the start.

Btw, I don't have 120 on any of my farming characters or 720 on any characters, they aren't necessary to try templates and enjoy them, or achieve good farming results..