What's new

The Blackstone Company Log

Derek settled down in his bivouac and scribbled some notes on a scrap of parchment. It wasn't the expedition he'd had planned, following some bombastically clad mage around the woods fighting creatures great and small, but his companions did well for themselves, and they had all gathered plenty of cash for towards the registration papers that would give their outfit some real standing in the world.

Present: Derek Lumbar, Whizbang Sploosh, Sid Blitz, Declan O'Connor, Rincewind
Gold gathered: 6,588

Derek dusted his hands off on his trousers as he sat down at the table amongst the assemblage of other swords for hire, most already deep into their cups.

"Right, I've put up the posters. Just you wait, any minute now, we'll have investors knocking down the door, and then we can really get this show on the road."

"Where'd you put the posters, Derek?"

Derek thumbed over to the tavern bathroom, where a poster hung grubbily, pinned to the boards by an old butter knife jammed between two of the planks that composed the door.

"I hope we don't attract any sort of unwanted attention from other outfits."

"What other outfits?" Derek replied, gazing around the room. "Bunch of mugs in here."

A soldier was sitting in the corner of a backwater establishment, not uncommon for him, though this one one he hadn't frequented often... A good place to get himself in trouble, a rough sort of lot that drank their sorrows away here.. He was getting up to relieve himself when he saw an oaf of man stomp up to the bathroom door, and slam an old butter knife into a poster.. After waiting a couple of moments, realizing he couldn't wait any longer he got up, and took a long look, as he pushed to door open to the bather to finally get some relief.

Upon returning to his table, he ordered another ale, and added on some cheese and bread and pulled some paper and a quill out of his pack, and began to write...

Grish.. More competition, a half a dozen of these upstart mercenary companies this past year it seems.. This one calls themselves the Blackstone company.. What kind of name is that?? Let's meet in Andaria, the usual spot.. So I can properly report.. This one may actually have some legitimacy if they actually get some backers.. The Exile company may need to be proactive on this one... We should probably find Hiraeth...

Kael'm Randi
Exile

Rolling up the note, he beckoned a boy over to his table.. "You want to make 2 gold coins boy? One now, and a second one when you deliver the note to it's destination, sealed... Instructions are inside only to pay if it's not been tampered with.." The boy hastily nodded his head, looking eager to make some coin... Discreetly handing the boy the gold coin, and the note, Kael'm muttered a magical incantation "In Jux" and the note began to glow... "A little added incentive eh boy? Now go! Find the exiled orc in Andaria! and Hurry!"

His eye's wide, the boy hesitated looking between the note and the gold coin, finally the shine winning over, he took both, and ran out the door....

Khalil

Apprentice
Khalil hobbled into the tavern. It stunk of stale ale and sweat. The vaulted ceiling was low and the place dimly lit. The patrons looked little brighter, as his eyes surveyed the room but they did not lack for toughness he thought.

He had been feigning his limp the last day or so, his body was still weak and his agility yet to return as he slowly recovered from an infected wound. But having to beg for coins whilst pretending to hobble around the bank in Andaria had injured his pride more than physical injury ever could.

He ordered a drink from the barkeep and found a quiet spot in a corner, facing the door. Off to his right, a notice pinned to the bathroom door caught his eye. Setting his drink down, he straightened, wincing a little but walked over to it, without the limp.

Hmmm...

Derek sat down in his usual seat with a heavy thud. He was muddy. Dusty. Tired.

With a flourish, he proudly placed the company registration papers on the table, the other mercenaries barely looking up at him. One snorted slightly, barely taking the time to read the words on the paper. Another marred the delicately scribed text by placing his dripping mug on the parchment, immediately causing the ink to run with a ring of ale.

Derek peered around the table.

"Well?"

"Well what?"

"Aren't you going to ask how I did it?"

A grunt. A shrug. Someone looking out of the window.

"Fuck's sake."

Khalil

Apprentice
Khalil soiled the parchment further, the drying blood on his hand, smearing it as his eyes looked over the text.

"I patrolled the highway out of Prevalia and harried the orcs back inside their stronghold."

Derek groaned, glaring at the once proud registration papers. "Think you're ready Khalil?"

1547917909-report.png

"I slayed ettin, troll and orc... Then got ambushed in Corpse Creek by outlaws... They took all my stuff. If you've got some spare pants, then I'm ready!"

Not for the first time that night, Derek muttered. "Fuck's sake..."

Khalil

Apprentice
The first job with my new brothers of The Blackstone Company. Aegis Keep. To test our skills and bring back what coin we could for the company's coffers.

My slow returning strength failed me as we made our exit, packs laden with loot. When I came to. I had been stripped of pack, armour and weapons. My condition saddens me. Even more than my lack of funds. My share of the spoils just enough to re-stock, upon meeting with my brothers in Horseshoe Bay.

Present: Khalil, Declan O'Connor, Flint Sharpe, Reknaw, Derek Lumbar

The fighters of the Blackstone Company had been growing restless. Not that equipping a bunch of llamas with supplies wasn't honest, decently paying work, but it was hardly the fortune and glory that they signed up for.

"Cavernam."

At this point, the word had become synonymous with "a bucket of cash" and as it was whispered in hushed tones, eyes twinkled with the thoughts of the untold wealth they would be sure to find at the end of the rainbow.

Gathered in Cambria, they surveyed the horde of treasure hunters, knights, mercenaries and adventurers of all stripes. A man with a beard said something about... something. Gates opened. The bloodshed began...

Time: Saturday, 2nd February, 8pm onwards
Present: Jara Lobreth, Rhys Flyde, James Dumah

Rhys and I met outside the gates of Terras, where we, thanks to our bandana, recognized each others as members of the Blackstone Company. We both encountered a villainous murder on the loose shortly prior to our meeting and thus decided it'd be best to move together.

Our way led us to Horseshoe Bay from where we went west and encountered and old fort of some sorts, now belonging to bandits and rebels with tamed beasts. Needless to say, we gave them a good stabbing and collected their coins. We continued our patrol southwest and encountered even more rebels hiding in a fort. While they seemed to be decent fighters, we still took them down for good. Only thanks to our excellent teamwork we managed to stay up, I must admit though.

Making our way to Cambria, we encountered yet another band of brigands, because Hey! That's something we didn't encounter so far. At the west gate of Cambria, we met up with James Dumah, our newest addition to the Company. We went further west, eventually arriving at a desert and an old quarry. There, we met with a strange, yet friendly sorceress. She told us about gold and treasures outside in the deserts, lying in pyramids and old tombs. With a spark in our eyes, we decided to trust the spellcaster for now and ventured into the desert, where we mostly found walking corpses and necromancers, however, not the treasures we hoped for.

I was clearly not prepared for the heat and started to feel dizzy rather quickly. So the sorceress kindly created us a moongate to head back to Cambria, where split up the coins we gathered.

1549179184-report.png

Well, best keep the boss happy, hadn't I?

Brigand camp? - Task? Puuuurlease. Easy money.

Hearing the Brigands to our south had successfully held up some helpless rich ponces the other night we were keen to relieve them of their hard earned cash and restore the balance. Can't let them think we're going to be soft with them now, can we? Not now we're neighbours! Good god no!

Bumped into a few of the Company at the Clubhouse; Lem and Jara. We plotted a route and headed in. Jara taking most of the hits and luring them into a false sense of security. Myself and Lem struck from the shadows, cutting down the brigands where they stood and naturally lining our pockets. Gemstones and gold in abundance. Things got a little dicey at one point but nothing we couldn't handle.
Soon they fled into the woodlands and one even tried to hide underwater. Think he drowned. Our patience was longer than his breath.

Cut the loot 4 ways; cutting the company in on the profits from the gemstones.

Task complete, boss.

Flyde.

Derek's head was pounding. Between the several bottles of ale he'd had before the meeting, and the explosion that had knocked him off his feet outside Prevalia bank, he had not exactly been thinking straight the night before. He'd had a plan for what to demand of the Prevalian Empire in exchange for the service of his company. Gold. Equipment. Supplies. The stuff a mercenary company runs on. That plan was most of the way out of the window by the fourth pint, and the flames and splinters of the trapped crate and given it that last push.

Looking over the shakily scribbled list from the day before, he slapped a hand over his eyes and let out a low groan.

"A boat? A road named after us? I can't spend a bloody road."

Still, it wasn't all bad. They had still asked for the gold. Now it was just a matter of time. The Prevalians were beset on all sides by threats, so they would surely agree to the terms.

Well. Maybe not the statues.

Time: Wednesday, 6th February, 7pm onwards
Present at the Tombs: Jara Lobreth, Evram Dorain, Khalil
Present at Cavernam: Jara Lobreth, Evram Dorain, Rincewind, Rhys Flyde, Lem Greenthumb

Khalil, Evram and myself met at Cambria where we decided to stock up on more shiny coins. I've been recently a couple of times to Od-... Odiss... That one tomb in the desert!
Carefully we advanced through the upper floors of the tomb and slaughtered anything that stood in our way with ease.

Deep inside the tomb, we encountered among undead a sort of death cult. Lasses with their tits out and pale white skin. Most of them were no challenge for us, until we've met with a lass that started to swing her axe at us. I've bled badly and hardly was able to stand on my feet. Poor Evram took a real beating and went down. Or so we thought! Somehow, he managed to crawl out and we found him outside waiting for us, heavily wounded. Yet, he wished to continue to fight.

I cannot tell if he's been brave or foolish.

Khalil decided to camp outside the tomb and gaze upon the starts, while Evram and I got word that some more of our friends gathered at the Outpost. From glistering heat to shivering cold!

Rincewind, while not being a member of the company (yet), asked us if we'd be willing to join him on an expedition to Cavernam. He must've been a good friend of our sneak Rhys.

Needless to say: Where there's coins, there's the Blackstone Company! Inside Cavernam, a similar scenario as before unfold itself. We've been able to stab our way through the upper floors with ease and our first real challenge were demons made of snow and icicles, bugs as huge as a small house, and ancient demons with vile magic.

I did my part as a Shieldmaiden well, but even the best get knocked on their arse every once in a while. Yet, we managed to slay countless enemies, dragons and wild furry humanoid savages included, and in the end came out alive.

Jara Lobreth, Shieldmaiden of the Blackstone Company

1549525035-report.png

Khalil

Apprentice
Our stores were low on arrows, barely enough to restock me after last night's trip to the desert crypts. Something needed to be done. Hmmm...

They say a picture paints a thousand words.

1549571246-report.png

Well, this one accounts for 4,000 arrows entered into the Company stores.

Khalil.

(OOC: Donated 2,000 shafts and used 2,000 from the stores to craft 4,000 arrows for our bowmen).

Khalil

Apprentice
Khalil's Training.

Attending: Khalil, Derek, Sharpe, Diabh, Hegesmund, Alred & Lem.

Two thousand coins to train this motley bunch into a coherent fighting force. Derek must be mad... On both counts.

I started them out with some physical exercise and then some basic orders and fighting principles... Stay close, shields at the front, archers at the back, heal the man beside you. Don't run or you'll get a sharp, feathery stick in the back.

1549578844-report.png

Finished things off with a game of WOLFHOUND and a free for all. Some bloke in a skirt downed me at the last, to win it.

Once I'd picked myself up, dusted myself off, I was laughing all the way to the bank!

Khalil.

A blood soaked day.

Derek, Reknaw, Miriam and Sharpe had gathered at the Prevalian bank, ready to repel the Viking invaders. Their job was to hold the line and defend the gate while the Prevalians and Trinsicians rode out to meet the invading force. "Not exactly glamorous," Derek thought, "but work is work, and they're paying."

The screams of the dying and wounded echoed over from the battlefield, and it wasn't too long before the defending force returned, letting loose with hoots of victory.

"No time to rest now!" shouted a man from the fore of the Prevalian force. "Bandits to the north west."

The force rode out again.

Time: Wednesday, 6th February, 7pm onwards
Present at the Tombs: Jara Lobreth, Evram Dorain, Khalil
Present at Cavernam: Jara Lobreth, Evram Dorain, Rincewind, Rhys Flyde, Lem Greenthumb

Khalil, Evram and myself met at Cambria where we decided to stock up on more shiny coins. I've been recently a couple of times to Od-... Odiss... That one tomb in the desert!
Carefully we advanced through the upper floors of the tomb and slaughtered anything that stood in our way with ease.

Deep inside the tomb, we encountered among undead a sort of death cult. Lasses with their tits out and pale white skin. Most of them were no challenge for us, until we've met with a lass that started to swing her axe at us. I've bled badly and hardly was able to stand on my feet. Poor Evram took a real beating and went down. Or so we thought! Somehow, he managed to crawl out and we found him outside waiting for us, heavily wounded. Yet, he wished to continue to fight.

I cannot tell if he's been brave or foolish.

Khalil decided to camp outside the tomb and gaze upon the starts, while Evram and I got word that some more of our friends gathered at the Outpost. From glistering heat to shivering cold!

Rincewind, while not being a member of the company (yet), asked us if we'd be willing to join him on an expedition to Cavernam. He must've been a good friend of our sneak Rhys.

Needless to say: Where there's coins, there's the Blackstone Company! Inside Cavernam, a similar scenario as before unfold itself. We've been able to stab our way through the upper floors with ease and our first real challenge were demons made of snow and icicles, bugs as huge as a small house, and ancient demons with vile magic.

I did my part as a Shieldmaiden well, but even the best get knocked on their arse every once in a while. Yet, we managed to slay countless enemies, dragons and wild furry humanoid savages included, and in the end came out alive.

Jara Lobreth, Shieldmaiden of the Blackstone Company

View attachment 1318
That was a grand patrol!

Ossuary.

Attending: Khalil & Evram.

I met young Evram at the Cambrian main gate and we made our way, through the desert, where we were set upon by daemons, to the crypts. Once inside we made short work of the undead that dwell there. Our healing stayed tight and just as we were making headway, we stumbled upon grave robbers, whom we chased off valiantly!

Evram did fall to one of their tainted blades. I managed to work my way back to his discarded pack, having tended my own wounds in the shadows. All was lost, except his boots. I recovered them. Good boots are hard to find!

Khalil, Vagabond, The Blackstone Company.