What's new

Wall Of Stone Cool Down Timer

Wall Of Stone cool down timer should be for Dungeons so greifers can't block events etc, And Towns so people can't interfere with factions.

I think Wall of Stone should have no cool down timer out in the open world

the map is designed with a ton of choke points. you could have two guys block off entire lanes of mountain passes. seems like it would increase griefing?

\
the map is designed with a ton of choke points. you could have two guys block off entire lanes of mountain passes. seems like it would increase griefing?

Dispel field can remove wall of stone entirely here not just one piece like other shards so its already much more anti greifing in that sense. Your idea of Stealth Dismount could also be deemed as Greifing. I personally don't think allowing Wall Of Stone to be normalized would be considered greifing outside of Dungeons and Towns, I think you're greifing by saying it would be used for greifing lol

idk about removing restrictions from dungeons. dexxers would be griefed even more by blues in dungeons. there is already people talking about $ in discord blocking off dingeon bosses with various field spells from others being able to participate.

Utility & Field Spells are the most interesting spells in UO because of the emergent gameplay they make possible.

They give us the power to interact with the environment to gain a tactical advantage instead of blasting directly with damage + heals + (de)buffs.

Just these 8 spells in the entire book, thats it:
- Teleport, Telekinesis, Dispel Field
- Wall of Stone, Energy Field
- Fire Field, Poison Field, Paralyze Field

Of that list... 5 are already severely nerfed / limited / penalized... reducing them to a near non-existent presence on the battlefield.

It pushes the gameplay away from dynamic/emergent environment possibilities towards a gameplay of just blasting damage and healing :-/

I strongly disagree with limiting these spells.

I would very much like to see restrictions lifted and make the few interesting spells we have actually relevant.

In the spirit of UO, I agree! In seeing guilds exploit them/used for griefing... I know why they are balanced this way. We already see discord complaints of "blue blocking" with energy field or wall of stone. Infinite walls = blocking entire sections of maps on both ends (long paths in mountains etc), dungeon door ways/escapes are blocked by blue griefers etc.

Possibly there is a scenario where it doesn't give a group with a huge advantage of surprise (pks or blue griefers) where it makes more sense (duals, arena, facitions?)

... balanced this way. We already see discord complaints of "blue blocking" with energy field or wall of stone. Infinite walls = blocking entire sections of maps on both ends (long paths in mountains etc), dungeon door ways/escapes are blocked by blue griefers etc.
"Infinite walls" --- No... effect is temporary, dispellable, requires players to cast with limited mana and are killable.
"Blue blocking" --- Yep... However I can also "blue block" you with my character/pets/items.

BALANCING = COUNTERS to AVOID or DEFEAT the OBSTACLE.
- Paralyzed --- COUNTER : Kill Caster | Get Damaged | Magic Resist / Trapped Pouch | Wait for spell decay
- Body Block -- COUNTER : Kill Mobile | Step Through | Teleport / Adventure's Rope | Wait for it to move
- Item Block --- COUNTER : Axe Item | Move / Pickup | Teleport / Adventure's Rope | Wait for item decay
- Wall Block --- COUNTER : Kill Caster | ______________ | Dispel Field / ________________ | Wait for spell decay

Placing restrictions & limitations does not bring into balance... it removes that gameplay (partially or fully).
Filling in those __________ blanks with effective counters is how we can balance it correctly.

MORE COUNTERS! NOT LIMITATIONS!
- Non-casters got Adventurer's Rope to Teleport without Magery... perfect!
- Non-casters need __________________ to Dispel without Magery

@Owyn @Luthius a suggestion:

Walls & Energy Field CAN BE BASHED DOWN with weapons ( 1-4 seconds, depleting stamina )
Walls & Energy Field CAN BE DISSOLVED AWAY with special item ( 1-4 seconds, item is burned )
Walls & Energy Field CAN BE PHASED THROUGH with magic resist ( 1-4 seconds, high skill / potion )

I agree that Wall of Stone and Energy Field both foster creativity on the battlefield. These spells make UO more fun.

Of Skrypt's 3 suggestions, I recommend the bashing one. Folks are either going to have magery (and can dispel field) or a weapon of some kind. Easiest way to solve this would be to create a command [bash that simply takes 3 seconds and 10 stamina, and it destroys the Wall of Stone. Similarly, it would take 6 seconds and 15 stamina to [bash an energy field. Create checks so that you have to have a weapon equipped and be adjacent to the wall or field at the beginning and at the end of the 3 or 6 second timer.

The special item idea makes things more item-based, which I suggest be avoided.

The phasing-through idea requires magic resist, which may not be in someone's template.

Thus, the [bash idea is universally possible and just takes time.

With this change, we could reduce the cooldowns for Wall of Stone to 5 seconds and Energy Field to 10 seconds inside dungeons and towns. Everywhere else would be no cooldown for either spell. :)

Thank you for reading my suggestion!