What's new

What's the difference between GM taming and GM+? (105-120)

Hey all,

Making a tamer like many here. I'm curious if there's like a huge difference between a GM tamer and a 120 tamer. How big of a difference does this make with pets? I was really hoping to get to 100 and call it quits. In most all other UO servers I've played, generally a nightmare/dragon has been "meta". Is that not the case here? If not, what kind of difference are we talking?

How do you even go to 120 taming?

Thanks!

*Edit
For clarification, I'm lazy when it comes to taming. If this is something that isn't super crucial, I'm not sure I'd want to go beyond 100. If we are talking just a minor DPS jump, I'm cool with 100!

Last edited:
Well I dont have a tamer, but at 50k a scroll it will cost you at least 1mil to 120 taming, let alone animal lore and skillballs. So no idea about the dps, but definitely a costly route.

Well I dont have a tamer, but at 50k a scroll it will cost you at least 1mil to 120 taming, let alone animal lore and skillballs. So no idea about the dps, but definitely a costly route.
For sure 2mil ecause you need to increase Animal Lore as well if you'd like to control those animals that you are taming...But with skill balls it is an even bigger investment.

@naisikras , guess you have already asked the same question in discord as well. Here the current meta for 100 Taming/Animal Lore is skeleton dragon/reef serpent or snow drifts. There more different options to try around with certain Drakes and all.

HERE IS A LIST OF EXAMPLES

Currently I'm enjoying GM level. I have farmed two taming skill scrolls and used them but I don't think on buying more just to arrive 105.

You can also leave taming/a.lore at 90 and use 5xHusk Crabs to terrorize middle to post-middle levels of dungeons. Or leave at other levels and run stealth templates with hiding pets...

Lot's of options...

They say 120 is terrific though but a lot of investment!

Yikes, well that does seem like it would be out of my reach for quite awhile. 100 sounds nice then. Would there be a huge difference between 100 and 105 creature wise?

Also, how bad are nightmares exactly compared to a reef serpant?

And thank you for the replies.

Nightmare does not compare in damage to a reef serpent. But you have even more optipns. Reef serpent-wisp, water drake-fire crawler, aegis scorp-4xaegis imps, aegis scorp 2x blood hounds. All these are valid, have different ups and downs and in the end depends on your build and style. I enjoy the variety immensely.

About 120, your damage won't double, but it will improve significantly. I did not make serious tests with GM pets but I would guess my offense improved around %30-50 over my water drake-skeletal dragon combo with 120 pets. It did not however became sturdier.

I ran a tamer with 75 taming 75 lore for a long time and farmed plenty of gold with it. I wouldn't rush to 100, farm as you go and enjoy the game. A lot of people don't even think about the reasoning to go to 120 and now with the cost of command sets and 20 taming 20 lore and 20 skill balls, you won't make up for that slight farming efficiency for a long time unless you play 10 hours a day or something.

75. Which is why I stopped there and used them nonstop. They are really good and have big hitpoint pool and provide consistent damage as their special is just on cooldown and it lowers armor per chance per shot. I used archery to combo with them to provide hinder for my pets and also the slugs provide hinder at lvl 10. I basically was a tamer dexer that was able to solo level three darkmire with 75/75 taming and pretty much be fine because I was hindering nonstop and putting out good damage with my bow, while my slugs tanked and provided constant armor debuff and hinder effects as well.

75. Which is why I stopped there and used them nonstop. They are really good and have big hitpoint pool and provide consistent damage as their special is just on cooldown and it lowers armor per chance per shot. I used archery to combo with them to provide hinder for my pets and also the slugs provide hinder at lvl 10. I basically was a tamer dexer that was able to solo level three darkmire with 75/75 taming and pretty much be fine because I was hindering nonstop and putting out good damage with my bow, while my slugs tanked and provided constant armor debuff and hinder effects as well.
Hmm cool. They are pretty nasty in PvP. Might make a PvP template around that then. 75/75 gives a lot of flexibility.

You still need vet, which lowers the pvp template's use. But you can definitely defend yourself with a proper pvm template with slugs.
I was thinking something like:

75 Taming
80 Lore
100 Mage
100 Eval
80 Med
100 Wrestle
85 Resist
80 Vet

I know it doesn't get all the synergies but the idea would just be loitering in dungeons looking for fights. Where do you get those slugs?

Yea that will definitely work just fine esp if you know how to use monster agro along with your slugs.

Colossal Slugs are found in Darkmire in level two in those pits.

I used a trapdoor as my one slot for poison and also hindering. You could also use a regular giant slug instead if you wanted more ranged spitting.

Yea that will definitely work just fine esp if you know how to use monster agro along with your slugs.

Colossal Slugs are found in Darkmire in level two in those pits.

I used a trapdoor as my one slot for poison and also hindering. You could also use a regular giant slug instead if you wanted more ranged spitting.
Yeah ranged spitting ftw for sure. So Colossal's are 2 slots and regular are 1 slot? Are regular still 75 taming?

thanks for info!

Giant are 65 taming and 1 slot. You could go 5 giant slugs at 65 taming to save 20 points, but their lifepool is a lot less.

Also I am not sure how it works now, or if it still does, but you could at one time resurrect pets with the spell, so if that is still true you don't need 80 lore. Might test and see.