What's new

What's the plan for stealing here?

Hi! I started looking into Outlands when it was in beta but didn't put much time into it. Now I'm trying the server out as it's live.

Not that Franz Pfniffel is a thief of any sort, but for the sake of others, I wonder what the plan for stealing is (pvm thieving excluded). From what I've understood, UOO was like stealing heaven three weeks ago but recently saw some stealing nerfs. According to some (random ppl in Discord) this was due to loud trammel whiners, dunno if this is true but I wouldn't be surprised that admins are concerned with keeping people happy. Since this is a server with alot of people I guess we'll see further nerfs in the future. However, maybe that's just wrong and the changes made were according to the plan and ideals that the admins decided upon way back. So, if anyone know anything about this, maybe of info here on the forums or things discussed with admins or others on Discord, I'd be interested to hear what the plan seems to be.

I was one of the 'loud trammel whinners' as you call it. However, it had nothing to do with wanting trammel even as you and others like to constantly yell about it being so.

The fact is.. that with UOSteam enabled on this shard... scripting is everywhere and thieves could steal anything they wanted without doing a single thing. Nor have any risk.

Thus.. the reward FAR outweighed the risk. So the devs rightfully balanced thieves(although with UOSteam, there is still a long way to go).

*cough* Ban UOSteam please! *cough*

This coming from someone who also has a thief but could see how ridiculous it was with UOSteam. But, I choose to help the shard rather than abuse something that results in hundreds of people not playing.

I was one of the 'loud trammel whinners' as you call it. However, it had nothing to do with wanting trammel even as you and others like to constantly yell about it being so.

The fact is.. that with UOSteam enabled on this shard... scripting is everywhere and thieves could steal anything they wanted without doing a single thing. Nor have any risk.

Thus.. the reward FAR outweighed the risk. So the devs rightfully balanced thieves(although with UOSteam, there is still a long way to go).

*cough* Ban UOSteam please! *cough*

This coming from someone who also has a thief but could see how ridiculous it was with UOSteam. But, I choose to help the shard rather than abuse something that results in hundreds of people not playing.
I don't call people loud trammel whiners, it refers to what others said. ;)

I'm all for banning UOSteam, that's what I'm used to anyways. But it doesn't appear to me that the current stealing mechanics are there to merely counter UOSteam. They penalize me a whole lot playing an active thief who uses only razor. Just now starting out, I find it particularily annoying that a thief practically can't steal all gold, regs, ingots etc from AFK players who are even away from crowded areas - that should just be a no-brainer. But with the 'raised city awareness' mechanic you're restricted to stealing only high end stuff in order to not waste your chances at other stealing opportunities. I thought the idea was an interesting way of getting rid of death robe thieves at banks, but it makes stealing even more about high-end stuff than it already is, which is boring as those opportunities don't come in plenty. Then there's a bunch of other stuff of course, but let's return to the topic: have you heard anything of the plans for stealing?

I agree with you Franz. But I feel the devs are pretty limited in what they can do with thieving while UOSteam exists.

I have heard that the dev's hope UOSteam will be done away with once the new client is done with an enhanced version of razor.

I agree with you Franz. But I feel the devs are pretty limited in what they can do with thieving while UOSteam exists.

I have heard that the dev's hope UOSteam will be done away with once the new client is done with an enhanced version of razor.
I Understand that the new client is not finished yet, but last time i checked it allows 'closest' and 'nearest' features to be used (unlike uosteam) so the temporary thief nerfs are neglected...

However; To be the honest, a disguise kit should not increase your chance of stealing success (but at the same time, we don't want it to be used thoroughly in pvp, nor are we expecting it to reset a thieve's suspicion percent) Instead, It Might Be More Realistic (and better) to allow a thief with 100 stealing to have a 75% stealing success chance (+25 While Hidden) But Based On Target's Weight.

Also, Those Claiming That Thieves Have No Risking Chance Are Plain Wrong. Its Just Like Saying "Oh Man, That Tamer lost a power scroll dropped by a mini boss, But Hey! that PS belongs to the mini boss anyway so the tamer is not only a pk but also a thief"...

Firstly Thieves don't instantly teleport the stolen item into their bank account, they've either got to run away (given how weak Stealth is compared to magery's reveal spell, that sounds almost impossible) or bank the item (in that case, a player is not supposed to have all their valuable items in their pack and complain about town thieves)

The 'I Ban Thee Mechanic' is unfair as long as thieves (Feel Free to Add Other Classes) are not able to use the 'Telekinesis' spell to their adventage (stealing items from a range) at the same time, house ejecting mechanics should be removed (but hey, players can still use barricades/ teleport pods to prevent thieves from entering; Or Even make those who enter someone's else house without their permission gray. Possibilities Are Endless!)

iam not saying that thieves should be immune to all sorts of danger but they are already vulnerable in many ways, As An Example, last time i got attacked by a miner Who killed me around 10 times (along with my mount) even though i did nothing wrong/illegal to anyone, i seriously dont understand how the permagray mechanics work... we've already got a delay before each stealing attempt after dying!

Nostalgia is not about having 3+ clients running at the same time and safely stealing using your thief (While also protecting him using your meta-tamer), Its Not about being able to recall anywhere using magery Aswell, thats why most skills are redesigned from scratch unlike other free shards...

Macroes Will Prevail (Atleast in their current State), notice how people are using them to keep their active bonus and train afk-ly overnight...

And yeah, if anyone is expecting a trammel-like shard, then why'd they play here...

Oh and, thanks for the awesome Shard, Regardless Of How New It Is,
mechanics/skills etc are all amazingly Balanced.

Best Regards,
-a Player