What's new

Why are normal players locked out of sailing/piracy content?

A big draw of this shard to people who aren't total UO zealots is the novel maritime combat content that Owyn and Luthius put into the game. I know that's what brought me here. And it's a great shard and there's a lot of fun things to do, new map, new dungeons, new skill usages, new monsters. Fun stuff.
So why is the ship-based combat with all the crew and cannons and so forth restricted to only the most terminal UO addicts?
I've had a harvester/crafter character working for weeks and he's in his sixties in carpentry. The wiki for this shard says you can make your first ship at 60 carpentry. But in reality you need to hit 85. That doesn't sound so bad, after all, it's not GM. But for reasons I cannot comprehend, harvesters and crafters don't benefit from the Active Play bonus. So these skills, which are not actual gameplay but just things you grind up to be able to play the game, raise at one fifth the speed of other skills. One full hour of grinding lumberjacking or mining--that's an hour of something so boring it has to be macro'd, and that's assuming you don't get pk'd by one of the many honorless reds who hunt down and dryloot helpless crafters--one hour of successful macroing and captcha solving is not enough to get you a single point in either the lumberjacking or carpentry skill.

WHY?

On this shard, it's actually easier to make a PVP murderer than a helpless peon craftsman! And of course there will be people who say 'lol git gud nub I have four 120 carpenters because I run three simultaneous full macro loggers on my three screens for eight hours a day.' And that's great and I understand that it's those people who will be sailing on their galleons in aspect clothing and all. But I have a job and a family and friends who play with me on this shard and I just want to be able to play the maritime combat thing at all. Owyn, Luthius, there's lots of people who want to enjoy your content but can't because they aren't going to spend over twenty five hours logging trees to get there. Please consider throwing some love to harvesters and crafters, who not only do not hurt other players, but actually give those other players someone to pk, someone to buy from, and hopefully someone to sink out at sea.

While I can understand the sentiment, the answer is really in economy. If all players can make fully leveled crafters, in a quick, and fairly cheap process, then there'll be no reason for players to trade, craft, and otherwise build a healthy economy for that playstyle, everyone will just do it themselves.

The problem isn't the system in this case, there were GM carpenters in the first week, and 120 carpenters in the second week. This is a case of your playtime that is the problem, which isn't something that can really be addressed by the game without wide spread economic impact, with the exception of providing you another route to reach your goal of sailing the seas!

For a more casual player, you are better off to build a character to farm gold (bard dexxers are great farmers - taking tracking you can passively track reds to pre-alert you to run), you can buy a small boat and get on the waters for around the 30k gold range, something you could feasibly farm up in 5-10 hours of game play from launch - faster if you get a lucky drop that's highly sought after (taming scroll - 50k, skill balls - 40k, command extract - 30k etc...).. Or accept the fact that if you want to do it all yourself, it's a long term goal.

Trinsic is the top seafaring guild here (and it isn't close). We have nearly a dozen vessels in our fleet, yet do not have a single carpenter in the guild.

I recommend you contact one of the 120 Carpenters who will be happy to craft a ship for you, given materials for a small fee. I don't know why they made carpentry so insane to raise but maybe they wanted there to be legendary shipwrights like @GrizzlysGhost .

Carpentry is just one of those skills that take a whole guild to help raise on one character.

Yes, I am aware that it is possible to get out on the sea with gold rather than with a ship. And I may do that. But even with that pathway being available, it still means fewer ships out at sea, because a player who can make a boat will replace his boat more rapidly when it inevitably is sunk. Which means less opportunity for piracy out there.

@AreYouKidden , you are basically saying that because some people did something that no one thinks is really fun on three screens for over a full day in the first week of the server, then other people who want to access some of the basic features that this shard is advertised on should also do that. You also imply that anything less insane than the current setup would make it 'easy' to raise carpentry.

I'm not asking for it to be easy to get to shipbuilding in carpentry--only that it shouldn't be restricted to a few people who have lots of monitors and lots of adderall. It wouldn't destroy the economy to let players build small ships at 60 carpentry, for instance. There would still be a call for 120 carpenters to build the really nice ships. I just want to get out there in a small boat with my friends and sink some npc ships and run from some other guild's ships.

@Jack Scallywag, you mentioned how far ahead your guild is in having ships. Do you feel the piracy content would be less fun if there were some more small ships out there with under 720 skill players out there to compete against?

Like I said - I do understand the sentiment, but the approach you are taking, has wide sweeping effects much more than just the open seas content.

@AreYouKidden , you are basically saying that because some people did something that no one thinks is really fun on three screens for over a full day in the first week of the server, then other people who want to access some of the basic features that this shard is advertised on should also do that. You also imply that anything less insane than the current setup would make it 'easy' to raise carpentry.
To be fair, that's your take on it, it's also my take, I've tried lumber jacking 3 times and have dropped it 3 times, I even wrote a complex macro to do it all for me, and I just had to watch... That's not my idea of playing a game.. I prefer just to buy my lumber. But check the server rankings, there are many people who Lumberjack & Mine, both hardcore, and casually. There are people who enjoy the system the way it is.. The easier you make the resources, the greater the supply, the lower the demand, the easier it is for rich players to buy stock, and build their own crafters, reducing the profit in being a crafter over all... It's all about economy, not whether I feel a requirement for macroing makes any sense.

I do have a 120 Alchemist, I think it's absolutely ridiculous that I put over 250k gold into the craft (probably more like 350k), and that i'm making 500 gp profit a keg - at best, I probably haven't sold 500 kegs yet.... Due to accessibility of the resources there's alchemists on every corner, profits suck. If you make the system too easy (and consider if you make it easier, the macro'rs will do it even faster), then you drop the bottom out of the economy for that trade, making it pointless to have the trades at all.

I've also started a Tailor I plan to supply all the leather myself, over the last month, I've saved up 40k - I farm casually at best, an hour or two a night... I got to 72 skill last night (granted I just started the evening before). I'm told it takes about 160k leather to 100 (4 months), and another 100k+ for the last 20 to 120.. It's my long term goal, I figure in 6 months (mid to late summer), I'll have myself a 120 tailor. I also realize if I need a tailor in the meantime, I'll reach out to someone who prioritized

I'm not asking for it to be easy to get to shipbuilding in carpentry--only that it shouldn't be restricted to a few people who have lots of monitors and lots of adderall. It wouldn't destroy the economy to let players build small ships at 60 carpentry, for instance. There would still be a call for 120 carpenters to build the really nice ships. I just want to get out there in a small boat with my friends and sink some npc ships and run from some other guild's ships.
In regards to carpentry, if this is just about ship building and the open seas content (and not about the skill speed in general)- I would have absolutely no issue with widening the skill levels for ship building - I'm not sure what they are currently, but if there are 3 sizes of ship, having them at 60 skill, 90 skill, and 120 skill - seems plausible to me. Or if there are 4 ships, do them 60, 80, 100, 120. I would even say, requiring a mastercraft for the smallest ship is overkill, just make it more wood, so it hits about the 10-15k mark in price, because buying a 30k ship as a first time sailor, and losing it right away, is a tough pill to swallow.

KimG

Apprentice
On this shard, it's actually easier to make a PVP murderer than a helpless peon craftsman! And of course there will be people who say 'lol git gud nub I have four 120 carpenters because I run three simultaneous full macro loggers on my three screens for eight hours a day.' And that's great and I understand that it's those people who will be sailing on their galleons in aspect clothing and all. But I have a job and a family and friends who play with me on this shard and I just want to be able to play the maritime combat thing at all. Owyn, Luthius, there's lots of people who want to enjoy your content but can't because they aren't going to spend over twenty five hours logging trees to get there. Please consider throwing some love to harvesters and crafters, who not only do not hurt other players, but actually give those other players someone to pk, someone to buy from, and hopefully someone to sink out at sea.
Buy a ship, enjoy the content not hard to farm the gold to get a ship and get on the high seas. You dont really seem to just want to easily hop on a boat and do the content.
You want to easily get GM lumber GM Carpentry and churn out ships.

Sea content is easy to get into via gold

Sea content is not as easy to get into via MAX lumber/carpentry as it should be.