Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Murderers and Resurrection
Murderers And Resurrection

[Image: ebuLSxm.png]

System Summary
  • Players earn Murder Counts for killing Blue players and being reported by the affected player
  • Murder Counts decay once every 72 hours
  • Any player with 5 or more Murder Counts is known as a Murderer (and has red Notoriety)
  • Murderers are freely attackable by all players and cannot enter most towns
  • Players with more than 5 Murder Counts who die by Any Means will have to make a Murderer Penalty Choice when resurrecting and suffer one of three available penalties
  • Upon resurrection, a Murderer's Murder Counts are reset down to 5

[Image: cxLOlYj.png]

Players can view a Criminal Summary window to show their:
  • Current Murder Counts
  • Next Murder Count Decay Time
  • Lifetime Murder Counts (used for display purposes only)
  • Any Murderer Resurrection Penalties Currently In Effect

Players can access the Criminal Summary window by:
  • Saying "I must consider my sins" out loud
  • typing [considersins 
  • Clicking the Criminality tab on the Outlands Help page
[Image: kHceVHe.png]

Players can also click the Preview Murder Penalty Options button on the bottom of the Criminal Summary Window to view a preview of what their potential Murderer Penalty Options would theoretically look like were they to die at that moment

[Image: 8qDHkJs.png]

Murderer Penalty Choices

When any player with more than 5 murder counts dies for any means, they will be forced to make a Murderer Penalty Choice when they resurrect. 

All players have to pay a variable gold fee based on their decision option and the number of Punishable Murder Counts, which is the number of Murder Counts a player has above and beyond the number 5.

Murderer Penalty Choices are as follows:

Option 1
Pay 200 Gold per Punishable Murder Count (each count that is above 5) and all characters on the entire account are restricted from making any form of Criminal action (attacking, stealing, looting) for the next 24 hours

Option 2
Pay 300 Gold per Punishable Murder Count (each count that is above 5) and for the next 24 hours the character will suffer a cumulative combat penalty of:
  • -10% Damage Dealt
  • -10% to Healing Amounts (Given and Received)
  • +10% Chance to Fizzle when casting any Field Spell (Wall of Stone, Energy, Paralyze) or Paralyze Spell
Option 3
Pay 400 Gold per Punishable Murder Count (each count that is above 5). No additional penalties.

If a player does not have enough gold in their bank box to pay the required gold fee for their choice, gold will be drawn from the banks of other characters on their account. If the player does not have enough money across all their character's bank accounts, they will not be allowed to resurrect until they do.

[Image: iwR01Gy.png]

A player must click 'Apply' twice to lock in their decision.

After which, the player's Murder Counts are then reset down to 5, any penalties chosen are applied, and they are allowed to resurrect.

[Image: bPXtbxy.png]

If the player has an account-wide Criminal action restriction or a combat penalty already in effect from the last 24 hours, those existing penalty timers will refresh to back to 24 hours, and any new combat penalties will stack with existing ones.

[Image: ebuLSxm.png]

Once a player had made a decision, they can view any ongoing penalties they currently have as well as when those penalties expire within the Criminal Summary window 

Reporting a Murder

[Image: H2xD26q.png]

When players are murdered by another player, they will receive a window asking if they wish to report the murderer.

By clicking "Accept' twice, they will give that player a Murder Count.
Clicking Decline, they will yield that opportunity.

[Image: FyinXAV.png]

If a player should log out or disconnect while the Report Murder window is up, it will reappear when they log back in: the player must make a decision in order to close the window and resume gameplay.

If 48 hours passes after the time of the murder and the victim has still not made a decision, the victim will automatically Decline reporting the crime.
I really like this. It addresses the player instead of the character, and with multiple characters penalties against a PK character were never really that meaningful.

With the gold sink element in place, is there any thought as to making it possible for bounty hunting? Like half the gold sunk goes to the killing player?

I'm also a bit worried about the gold-only option (400 per count after 5 MCs), at least as far as trashcan PKers are concerned. They'll likely have an alt that allows them to farm gold quickly, and if they often get merc'd at 15-20 MCs, that's only 4K or so for their troubles. Since any death triggers the penalty, and all counts are reset to 5 MCs, I feel like it would benefit reds that pick on the weak and newbie players most instead of the reds that try to rack up the large MCs and avoid death best (getting into those 100+ MCs and 40K sinks).
I like this system, but don't agree with counts being reset upon res. And 3rd option should probably have a higher gp cost.
(10-04-2017, 07:20 PM)Klaus Wrote: I like this system, but don't agree with counts being reset upon res. And 3rd option should probably have a higher gp cost.

I am of this general opinion, myself. The thing that kept me from saying it outright is the following:
(04-24-2017, 11:46 PM)Luthius Wrote: When any player with more than 5 murder counts dies for any means, they will be forced to make a Murderer Penalty Choice when they resurrect.
That "any means" is actually a pretty big deal. Sparring, NPC mob outside your house, losing conn in a relatively safe area from a power outage - anything forces the penalty. It's pretty harsh, in a good way. Additionally, if you get to 100 MCs, that's 40,000 gold to pay. Now, gold might be more controlled here, and/or harder to get; if that's the case, 40K is a nice kick in the nuts. If 40K is a one-hour trip to the dungeon, then I agree, 400/MC is simply too low.

Where I definitely agree it shouldn't be a complete wipe is this scenario:
Red goes and kills folks, gets to 50 MCs, dies. Gets wiped to 5 MCs and pays the 18K. That's a decent amount of kills before dying, and the cost is pretty low by most shard standards (again, if gold is difficult, then maybe not). The problem comes when he pays the 18K and goes back out: according to this, it sounds like he would have to pay 0 gold because he'd be at 5 MCs (and you only pay for each MC over 5 - meaning a fresh red risks no consequences).

UOF did something along the lines of losing 50% of your MCs once you hit ~90ish MCs; otherwise you lost no MCs until then. Perhaps a similar situation could be implemented so that reds always risk some penalty, even from being reskilled.
As an orc without blue human alts I have a request.
Is there a chance to not have the penalties account wide? As it stands I can be looking through a guildmate's loot and open a trapped chest, thus ending my gaming for at least 24 hours.

I don't mind penalties but removing me from the game seems counter intuitive to building a diverse population. (Remember, you may hate PKs but they are needed for a healthy economy)
(10-05-2017, 02:03 PM)Kilgu Wrote: As an orc without blue human alts I have a request.
Is there a chance to not have the penalties account wide? As it stands I can be looking through a guildmate's loot and open a trapped chest, thus ending my gaming for at least 24 hours.

I don't mind penalties but removing me from the game seems counter intuitive to building a diverse population. (Remember, you may hate PKs but they are needed for a healthy economy)

The 400 gold per count option has no penalties account wide.
[Image: 7fOQWvK.png]
I would love a paladin guild, only because there's something juicy about those white names and playing a character to protect the rest of the shard. If you get killed by a paladin, how about doubled gold cost. Paladins could just get some basic gear to buy such as the armor, the white cloaks, etc. Doesn't need all that much.
You can just roleplay a paladin at that point. White cloak, colored sash, full plate armor.

If they make a paladin class that hunts murderers then you need
a) High entry requirements so you can't just switch for paladin for a fight quickly
b) any action which will flag you grey will automatically kick you from the paladin guild
c) If you die to a murderer YOU must pay the same penalties to ress as the murderer would.

Otherwise there would be 0 downside to being a paladin and we'll have the clusterfuck that we had on previous servers.

Honestly there's not much need for a special system, just band together and go kill some pks. Its not hard, we mostly suck.
(10-06-2017, 09:59 AM)Kilgu Wrote: You can just roleplay a paladin at that point. White cloak, colored sash, full plate armor.

If they make a paladin class that hunts murderers then you need
a) High entry requirements so you can't just switch for paladin for a fight quickly
b) any action which will flag you grey will automatically kick you from the paladin guild
c) If you die to a murderer YOU must pay the same penalties to ress as the murderer would.

Otherwise there would be 0 downside to being a paladin and we'll have the clusterfuck that we had on previous servers.

Honestly there's not much need for a special system, just band together and go kill some pks. Its not hard, we mostly suck.

I agree on A and B but how do you figure C would work? Paladins have no murder counts? Would they pay for something? I don't agree with that. I can get on board with some sort of temporary stat if you die by a murderer, if that's what you mean, it only seems fair.

But sure, make it hard to get into the Paladin guild, and have make it so you can't go criminal account wide. I think that's enough of a penalty. But I do agree that it has to be hard enough to join so that not everyone is a paladin.

And sure anyone can roleplay a paladin, but it's not the same thing, and wouldn't interest me at all.
Yeah C might be a coding nightmare to implement. Maybe they just take temp stat loss for like 20-30 mins a la factions?

Im just remembering IPY2 and the clusterfuck we had on with paladins and their stupid orbs and items. There was no drawback to being a paladin and it took a couple of minutes to regain paladin status if you lost it.

The number of fights i've lost because their stupid cloak did FS damage on death is just retarded. he gets to ress and loot us both while I get stat loss....yet I won the fight.