Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Murderers and Resurrection
(03-24-2018, 08:06 PM)biorhythm Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 10:16 AM)bob Wrote: Yeah actually i could see how even that could be exploited.  If i had 1k counts i could have a friend or an alternate char kill me, receive the bounty, and then give it back.   which means id essentially be paying only half the intended penalty AND resetting my counts.

I mean there are easy work arounds to this with a little critical thinking. 

It would be nice if there was some sort of mechanic in place to discourage pking noobs.   
Maybe if a players skills or stat totals are less than "x", then the PKer receives 3 counts instead of 1.

Perma-death for the PK would be sufficient... Wink
Crafter, role-player, frequent PvP target, and Beard Bro for life (*tips hat to Papa Carl)
Resetting murder counts to 5 after paying does seem unsound.

Also the 24 hour penalty is largely pointless since they'll just spread character's out across 3 accounts.

Penalties for being a murderer shouldn't be a slap on the wrist. This sort of punishment in society would be like fining a guy for killing some one. Even in a video game it should be more realistic than this is. Being red should be heinous and actually have real tangible downsides.
(04-19-2018, 09:14 PM)Alcsaar Wrote: Resetting murder counts to 5 after paying does seem unsound.

Also the 24 hour penalty is largely pointless since they'll just spread character's out across 3 accounts.

Penalties for being a murderer shouldn't be a slap on the wrist.  This sort of punishment in society would be like fining a guy for killing some one.  Even in a video game it should be more realistic than this is.  Being red should be heinous and actually have real tangible downsides.

I was thinking this same thing, having been red and PKing folks for years, but I forgot some very important details in this system that will absolutely destroy murderers on Outlands:

Players die more than they realize. A lot more.

You may get back up, or recover your loot or kill the enemy and win the fight and not get statted, but you still died. And that means you still pay these consequences. If you're successfully killing players, you'll have 40-50 or more counts; when you die, even if it's to an NPC, you suffer the consequences. Gold isn't meant to be plentiful in the game, where 400 gold per count could easily end up being more than you ever earned from PKing the players during that run (ie, the kills you got since the last count wipe). From what I've seen, 400 gold is more akin to a grand on most servers, so think of it that way: 1,000 gold per count upon death.

The 24-hour ban basically means that whole account can't perform aggressive actions. I don't know if that means you cannot attack blues, or also includes things like participating in factions, healing factioners, etc., but that wipes that account out from participating. Keep in mind in major fights on busy nights, players will hotswap between 5-7 characters like it's nothing; that automatically means that hotswapping is out of the playbook if you choose that option. For the lone, solo PKer who casually murders folks, yeah, it's a slap on the wrist, but then again, they likely aren't butchering dozens of folks daily or even weekly.

Personally, I don't think anyone's gonna' take the 300 gold penalty, unless they wanna' hotswap to another character and not lose out on the extra coin per count, but that just means another opportunity to impose another gold sink on that red. It's a good way to bankrupt your characters on a rough night.

In the beginning, it'll be a significant deterrent for 90% of PKers. In another month, it'll be more balanced, as players will have farmers and income to handle the penalties. As time goes on and inflation occurs shardwide, I imagine that they will increase the penalties' costs. I get your concerns, 'cause they were mine as well, but I think that the prevalence of the penalties and the ease at which it can be applied will make them pretty punishing for the typical red shitter.
[Image: 7fOQWvK.png]