Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Don't make crafters obsolete
[Image: vl35cyO.jpg]

This was the state of how prevalent magic gear was on An Corp!

Chests and chests of magic items, too much to even consider smelting down with your arcane hammers.

This made crafters obsolete as you could almost always get your hands on something better than GM gear. And that's not even mentioning that magic armor, regardless of the level of magic, was always better than GM armor.

So keep this in mind when balancing crafted vs. found gear.

Magic/found gear should be rare! Crafted gear should be the staple of what people use.

You could for example, let blacksmiths at 120 skill craft higher level items. Or increase the power and armor of items crafted with colored ingots.

I understand that magic items now are the basic resource to harvest some ingredient for arcane/aspect gear? Well how about let some weapons and armor drop then that are just named "a brittle halberd/katana/plate chest", colored with an arcane light blue hue, it can't be used as a weapon or armor, but it can be used to smelt into that aspect juice.

Make crafters strong!

Also, on the same topic, the more items that are player crafted and not sold by vendors/NPCs/found, the better!

+ Add cooking PvE buffs:
(http://forum.uoancorp.com/threads/cookin...ffs.10956/)
Quote:How about some long lasting cooking buffs made from some of the new crafting ingredients.

Basilisk egg stew? Obsidian shard baguette?

PvE bonuses only.

For example:
+10% damage for 30 minutes
15% fire breath damage reduction for 30 minutes
1% chance to polymorph your target into a sheep for 30 minutes
25% chance to cast without mana cost for 30 minutes
20% increased amount healed for 30 minutes

I'm not even looting crafting ingredients at the moment, would be great to use them for something.

Could give a modified version of the buff if it's fed to a pet.

Could do some epic combos as well which require 4-5 crafting ingredients and 33% chance @ GM cooking:

- Ghost Weed Cookie (4 ghost weed, 1 strange mushroom): For 20 seconds, 5% chance per hit to turn the monster into a paragon
- Gold Juice (4x Fire Essence, 1x Ghoul Hide, 1x Empty Pitcher): For 10 minutes, mobs killed drop 175% gold
- Rift Sausage (4x Ghoul hide, 1x basilisk egg): For 5 minutes each hit has a 10% chance to either instantly kill a mob or to spawn a copy of the same mob (which won't drop loot)
I don't plan on having magic weapons and armor drop as often as they did on UOAC, but they will still be around.

Although one of the main reasons any person with that many magic weapons sitting in a chest (like in your example) wouldn't want to smelt them down, would be the fact that that would be extremely tedious do so under the old system (having to click and target each single individual item, over 125 times).

With the current setup I have for crafting, players recycling stuff can choose their Recycle Mode and have the ability to smelt an entire container's worth of stuff in a single click (or alternatively, could only recycle all the Magic or Non-Exceptional items in the container if they wanted).

Arcane Essence is the stuff you get when you blow up magic items, and it's going to be exceptionally useful because a variety of different systems will use it. The primary one would be the Arcane Gear system, which is a replacement for the Dungeon Armor system, but a bunch of other items that have charges on them, such as rare decorations / loot, will also be recharged with Arcane Essence. Some higher-end gear will also take Arcane Essence as part of the crafting recipe.

A few changes I'm making to player-crafted gear are likely the following:

Special Ingots / Boards / Leather types will have a massive increase to their maximum durability, meaning they'll be great for long-term farming for players since they'll keep their weapon/armor bonuses for a longer period of time whereas magical gear will drop in effectiveness quickly as their durability drops towards 0.

Items made with 120 skill will be considered to be "Mastercrafted" and when clicked on will say "Mastercrafted by Player X".
Mastercrafted items will have an even larger bonus to durability, and will not lose any maximum durability when repaired (or even on a failed repair attempt).

Magical gear's purpose will largely be intended for farming over short periods of time and to be consumed for Arcane Essence.
Ideally I'd like to see player-crafted gear the items that players spend the bulk of their time in, and then pulling out magical gear and Aspect Gear for the big moments when they need to pack a punch or do something quick and dirty.

As far as cooking goes, I think I mentioned it to you a while back, but I built a pretty solid cooking system that'll explain in a few days here to you folks :p
(05-21-2017, 11:57 PM)Luthius Wrote: Items made with 120 skill will be considered to be "Mastercrafted" and when clicked on will say "Mastercrafted by Player X".
Mastercrafted items will have an even larger bonus to durability, and will not lose any maximum durability when repaired (or even on a failed repair attempt).

Magical gear's purpose will largely be intended for farming over short periods of time and to be consumed for Arcane Essence.
Ideally I'd like to see player-crafted gear the items that players spend the bulk of their time in, and then pulling out magical gear and Aspect Gear for the big moments when they need to pack a punch or do something quick and dirty.

Don't count on this! Durability boost isn't large enough of a bonus for people to prefer GM crafted gear.

Magic weapons are not only used for farming, but also for PvP (where durability hardly matters).

I think it will satisfy everyone if magic weapons are very rare, and good.

Consider the idea that magic weapons drop as "brittle" versions, that can only be smelted for arcane resources. Perhaps these weapons could be "upgraded" to the real magic weapon version by a 120 blacksmith/equivalent crafter?

Say, "a brittle halberd" drops. You dont really want to smelt down a halberd, since it can be useful, so you employ a legendary blacksmith to harden the weapon and turn it into it's real magic counterpart. It may turn out to be a halberd of ruin or a halberd of power, depending on your luck and what dropped the item. To "uncloak" a brittle weapon, the blacksmith needs a colored ingot, with valorite having a 100% chance to uncloak a weapon, verite 80%, agapite 60% and so on. If he fails, the weapon breaks.

It will vastly reduce the amount of magic weapons availible for players, but keep the resources the same, and doesnt change anything in the way the resources are aquired (still have to carry the weapons/gear out from the dungeon)

Also, never forget!!! It is always easier to ADD than to REMOVE from a game like this. I.e. start with low drops and increase them if need be.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A good (partial) solution I've seen on other shards is to have not have magic weapons drop but instead to have items that are needed for the crafting of magic weapons. This keeps crafters relevant. (Though it still might result in too many magic weapons.)
(05-21-2017, 11:57 PM)Luthius Wrote: With the current setup I have for crafting, players recycling stuff can choose their Recycle Mode and have the ability to smelt an entire container's worth of stuff in a single click (or alternatively, could only recycle all the Magic or Non-Exceptional items in the container if they wanted).

The single most important improvement I've ever seen on any server! As a craftsman/vendor owner I can't thank you enough for this. Going through a pack of katanas, or whatever, to find the exceptional ones burned me out one too many times.
On a side note... I may have been gifted that castle when a certain "someone" left AC, and ya... it was a mess! So much stuff (but an awful lot of cool stuff too)! As a crafter, I would certainly like to see less magic items in the world, and the need to break them down into dust/essence might just be the answer. I'd like to see how the current system plays out (*feeling optimistic) Smile
Crafter, role-player, frequent PvP target, and Beard Bro for life (*tips hat to Papa Carl)