Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random levelling feedback
Alchemy/Poison Feedback

On a standard OSI shard, lesser poison requires 0 alchemy, regular requires 15, and greater requires 55.  Here, lesser requires 30, regular requires 50, greater requires 70.

Because alchemists are the feed-in for poison dexxers, it means that poison-dexxers at launch will be limited to lesser poison (because even if some sadist decides to make alchemy their very first skill to raise, their chance of success is only 0.2% to make regular poison.  There won't be a supply of regular poison potions available for anyone to use).

This compared to regular mages (0 investment in poisoning) who will always cast regular poison and poison mages who can upgrade to greater poison at 60 skill... and both of these compared to tamers who have access to pets that use regular poison right at 50 taming, and pets that use greater poison starting from 55 taming.

I'd suggest the following tweaks:

1) Lower the alchemy requirements for poison potions to the OSI values (0 for lesser, 15 for regular, 55 for greater).  I see plenty of other recipes (magic resist, greater explosion, agility, etc) which will still be available for alchemists to level off of.

2) Reduce the reagent requirements for all low to mid tier potions from their current values to match the OSI requirements.  Currently, all of the early tier potions cost more gold to purchase from a player alchemist than directly from the store because the cost to craft was increased (for example, a strength potion from an NPC alchemist will cost 10 gold, but the same potion from a player alchemist will cost 14 gold at cost (and 35 gold if considering the cost of failures for a 50 skill alchemist).  E.g. for lesser/regular/greater poison potions, lower the nightshade costs from current values of 2/4/6 to new values of 1/2/4 respectively.  Deadly is at 8 currently which matches the 8 nightshade cost from OSI and could stay there.

3) I don't know the check levels for poisoning skill, but I'd suggest to just doublecheck that the success chance for greater is at a reasonable threshold.  It seems like for a 50 poisoning character, regular poison is the tier to be applying for skill gains (which is all the more reason to lower the alchemy break points for the weaker poisons as per above).

4) I checked, and when unlocking the lethal poison recipe at 110 skill, the success chance is only 0.2%.  I'd strongly suggest to lower this to 100.  I know your goal is to keep it something special for people who've invested in the skill, but keep in mind that the way it is now, 110 point investment in alchemy comes out to 5000 nightshade (15,000 gold) per lethal poison potion.  Lowering it to 100 won't flood the market with them (it'll still cost 15,000 gold per potion at 100 skill to craft them), but will make sure that the success chance at 110 skill will be reasonable (it'll be 40% at 110 skill if you lower the min skill to 100).

5) Check the poisoning success chances for lethal poison.  Per the skills summary, it requires GM (100 skill) to apply it, but when I'm trying to apply it in game at 100 skill, all I get are failures (I tried on over 10 lethal poison potions and failed every one of them).  I'm concerned that this is again something where the success chance at 100 skill is only 0.2% and there's two problems with that.  The obvious problem is one of cost (it becomes prohibitively expensive to apply lethal poison at the stage where it becomes available to you) and the second issue is that most poisoners will be alchemists themselves which in turn means that they really need 120 skill point investment in both skills right now to do anything with it (because they can't make it will until 120 alchemy and they don't stance a cost-effective chance of applying it until 120 poisoning).  It becomes a bit of a snipe hunt chasing after a modest damage increase from poison that could more easily be attained by just dropping the 40 points in a complimentary sub-GM skill (arms lore or whatever) 

Likewise, your infliction chance formula changes for lethal poison in a way that becomes counter productive (lethal poison deals more damage than deadly, but you lowered the infliction rate for lethal only which in turn means that lethal poison isn't as good an upgrade over deadly because it doesn't stick to mobs quite as well).  I'd revert this to match the infliction rate shared by all other poisons (divide by 100, not by 120).

I'd suggest to introduce the possibility to apply lethal poison to weapons at GM as you have it now, but let the success chance a GM be identical to whatever the success chance for applying deadly poison is at GM.  This way for those alchemists who do branch out into crafting lethal poison, there will be a reasonable market of players who want to purchase / use it because GM poisoners can use it instead of just 120 poisoners.

Going above 100 skill will still increase the application chances (For both deadly and lethal), and increase the infliction rates for all poison types accordingly so it's not useless.
pvp skills

The following skills are only documented as having PvM application and could probably be expanded to include some pvp benefit at half-rate like a lot of the other new skills:

Camping: campfire bonuses are only mentioned against creatures. If this doesn't include players, you could add bonuses against players at half-effect (up to 5% for someone else's campfire, 10% boost when using your own)

Inscription: Could probably grant up to 10% bonus when casting spells against players using a scroll (as opposed to the 20% vs monsters)

Lumberjacking: The bonuses are fine, but someone suggested yesterday it might work best to open these bonuses up to all edged weapons (incl swords) or else limit the mining bonus to only 2-hd maces so that these bonus are well aligned with eachother.

Forensic Eval: Since this is the "skinning" skill, could also grant a 10% dmg bonus to archery and fencing weapons as a hunting bonus in similar fashion as the bonus you have implemented for lumberjacking and mining. That way all 4 weapon types would have one of these and all 3 gathering skills are covered (I suppose fishing is technically a gathering skill too if you wanted to move 1 of these over to fishing as well, though mining/lumberjacking/skinning I think are more of the types of gathering that feed into other tradeskills).

Taste ID: Could hasten poison ticks against players by Taste ID / 8% (half the benefit that it grants against creatures)

Tracking: Could allow marking players for 10% dmg increase

Merc brought this up in Discord, but newbie pickers don't have an option to start their character with remove trap (they can only train it in game).

Likewise training it in game doesn't provide them with a starting tool for removing traps (and newbie 50 skill tinkers can't craft them yet).

Might be good to set up the startup skills to recognize if a character's put 50 in picking and in turn allow them to invest points in remove trap (and give them a newbie trap tool if they do)
Shelter island needs more sheep. Like a sheep invasion under the dark hand of a sheep god.

You know what I mean though... bandages don't grow on trees.
On OSI and most other shards, bard skill re-use timers look like this

Provocation: 10 seconds on success, 5 seconds on fail
Peacemaking: 6 seconds on success, 10 seconds on fail
Discordance: 6 seconds on success, 6 seconds on fail

It means that (on OSI) all three skills are capable of incapacitating (or weakening) roughly 2 mobs every 10 seconds.

Here, the re-use on peacemaking/discordance success are increased to 10 seconds on success for all 3 skills (5 seconds on fail)

This means a couple things:
1) provocation is twice as effective at removing trash from play as the other two bard skills 
2) with 60 seconds max duration on all three skills, it also means provocation can keep twice as many creatures out of play as the other two bard skills (12 per minute for provocation, but only 6 per minute for peace / discorance
2) peace and discordance bards who are fighting weaker mobs will frequently find themselves only able to bard every other target (killing current monster well before peace/discordance come off cooldown.  Provo bards will have 2 mobs to work on during that same 10 second window).

I'd suggest to adjust the re-use timers for peace/discordance to either match what OSI was doing, or put to a flat 6 seconds for success/fail on these two skills.  The current delay increase results consistent timers (10 seconds for everything), but that's a bit arbitrary as it just ends up nerfing the other two skills when compared against provocation.

Also, the skill gain rates at lower levels of animal taming feel a bit painful. Like at 50 skill, an hour of macroing on 50 minimum tame creatures in a dungeon only moves my char from 50 to 51.5. Certainly taming is a powerful skill and should take a long time to GM, but this low on the front end means a lot of AFK skill work trying to get those characters up to a more playable state.

Also keep in mind that this shard isn't using the impact of stats on skills. That means that a newbie tamer here only has 50 animal taming, whereas a newbie tamer on OSI shards has 60 (quickly macroing up stats will get OSI tamers up to 60 shown skill (50 real). So all this time spent macroing here is just to get taming up to the point that newbie tamers start at out of the gate elsewhere.

I'd suggest to make the skill gains from 50-60 a lot faster than they are currently (I'll let you know how 60-70 feels once I get there, but those will likely be worth an increase as well).
Healing seems like it could use a skill gain boost too. My dexxer's just coming up on 70 in all her combat skills through active play... except healing which is at 51.7 :p

I know it's easy to macro AFK overnight, but having it faster to raise to 70 I don't think would cause much issue and would let the skill keep pace with other dexxer skills.
(01-14-2018, 02:31 PM)PollyPocket Wrote: Healing seems like it could use a skill gain boost too.  My dexxer's just coming up on 70 in all her combat skills through active play... except healing which is at 51.7 :p

I know it's easy to macro AFK overnight, but having it faster to raise to 70 I don't think would cause much issue and would let the skill keep pace with other dexxer skills.

My dexer startup had 60+ healing when others at 70, felt fine speed wise
(01-14-2018, 03:13 PM)Mercury Wrote:
(01-14-2018, 02:31 PM)PollyPocket Wrote: Healing seems like it could use a skill gain boost too.  My dexxer's just coming up on 70 in all her combat skills through active play... except healing which is at 51.7 :p

My dexer startup had 60+ healing when others at 70, felt fine speed wise

Were you using it every occasion, or only when you needed the healing?  

I was just bandaging as needed and ended up at 51.9.  Parry was only 51.4 (when fencing, arms lore, anatomy, tactics were all 70).

Since all of the benefits of taste ID scale with skill level, is there a reason behind requiring minimum skill of 50 to see any benefit?  The benefits at 25 skill would still scale down...

Also, right now, taste ID is a 1 second re-use timer with a crazy low skill gain rate. It means if you want to raise the skill, you pretty much have to macro the skill (interspersed with killing mobs for the bonus).

I'd suggest to make the re-use delay 10 seconds instead of 1 second, but also increase the skill gain rate by a factor of 10. It'll make it easier to work on the skill with attended play since firing it off once every 10 seconds isn't that hard (and creates gaps for the targetting of spells or bandages).
skill grind is a problem in a lot of mmorpgs, I suggest incorporating a player advancement mechanic that doesnt involve macroing or a grinding treadmill.

I suggest a system similar to the one used on later iterations of An Corp, with skill scrolls dropping from monsters.  

Or maybe passive skill points gain over time / skill points rewarded from completing quests.
(01-14-2018, 06:13 PM)biorhythm Wrote: skill grind is a problem in a lot of mmorpgs, I suggest incorporating a player advancement mechanic that doesnt involve macroing or a grinding treadmill.

I suggest a system similar to the one used on later iterations of An Corp, with skill scrolls dropping from monsters.  

Or maybe passive skill points gain over time / skill points rewarded from completing quests.

Yeah, some kind of solution anyways (skill scrolls could be one).

I know the intent with the faster skill gain rates after killing a mob was intended to avoid macroing, but in practice pure combat / passive skills are the only ones that are avoiding it).

The only character that isn't having to sit in the newbie dungeon macroing skills for me is my dexxer.