Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is uo worth playing again?
hi, ill try to keep this as short as possible.

i was an uo newcomer in 2012 or so, played ipy2 and relpor, also uo an corp and uo immortalis for a bit but quit early, dont remember much or why.

im burnt out on gaming today, cant find nothing interesting to play. was thinkig back at the short period i played uo and had to admit that it was one or maybe even THE best gaming experience ive had in the past 10 years.

i loved this game when i was new and naive. i later started to hate this game more and more when i realized how everyone else played it.
the following may sound super negative, please excuse me for that but these are the reasnons me, an uo outsider and probably others will never attempt to play this game or get playing again:

1: is the community still trying to skip the game by scripting/macroing everything available in the game?
id like to play the adventure, i enjoy the journey, but not when im totally gimping my progress and better just "cheat" like everyone else.
double skillgain in dungeons was a joke, maybe 10x would have done the trick, maybe still worse than unattended macroing progress.

2: steam uo was released just about when i quit. is steam not totally broken? isnt everyone abusing it even more than razor? doesnt it automate pvp even more?
when i see a video like this i do believe thats the case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M01E8tXAfTs
id have to become a scripter to actually play this game again and to be on the same level as everyone else, frightening.
i have deleted all my razer macros. id need an all in one "scripts you need to play uo in 2018" package.

3: any plans to prevent ghost or hidden scouting in front of dungeons?
this was not a knight game to me, more like a high tech everything under surveillance world. 7 PEC guys showing up when you solo pked some guy and were trying to res him lol, ty paladin orb.

4: are you going with the OP stealth mechanics from relpor again?
it was kind of amusing to solo ancient wyrms on a stealth dexer with 90s skills and just a hally and some bandages with zero risk of death from any monster nor player.
BUT it turned the game into another game that i did not exacly enjoy. the limited interaction we had left due to low pop was further hurt when everyone started only stealth around and ganking anyone that wasnt smart enough to do the same.
part of it was also that the dungeons were overpacked with mobs. for example if you entered khalmar (name?) you had 5 imps cast on you, 2nd level 10 gargoyles dump you etc. there were barely any break zones except in every dungeon on the lowest floor. best loot, not much danger because none bothered coming down to hunt you, invisile, invulnerable! boring.

sorry, i didnt come here to bash uo or its developers, i want to thank you all for the experience i could have.
id just love to have a shard where active play is desired, ban macroing completely, id be down with it. i want a hardcore experience while seemingly this whole community is stuck in a bubble trying to trivialize the game as much as possible, or not?

hi miridor, we used to play with you guys on ipy2 etc, hans and ultimate_onliner/boogieknight i believe
(01-12-2018, 12:58 PM)reb Wrote: hi, ill try to keep this as short as possible.

i was an uo newcomer in 2012 or so, played ipy2 and relpor, also uo an corp and uo immortalis for a bit but quit early, dont remember much or why.

im burnt out on gaming today, cant find nothing interesting to play. was thinkig back at the short period i played uo and had to admit that it was one or maybe even THE best gaming experience ive had in the past century.

i loved this game when i was new and naive. i later started to hate this game more and more when i realized how everyone else played it.
the following may sound super negative, please excuse me for that but these are the reasnons me, an uo outsider and probably others will never attempt to play this game or get playing again:

1: is the community still trying to skip the game by scripting/macroing everything available in the game?
id like to play the adventure, i enjoy the journey, but not when im totally gimping my progress and better just "cheat" like everyone else.
double skillgain in dungeons was a joke, maybe 10x would have done the trick, maybe still worse than unattended macroing progress.

2: steam uo was released just about when i quit. is steam not totally broken? isnt everyone abusing it even more than razor? doesnt it automate pvp even more?
when i see a video like this i do believe thats the case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M01E8tXAfTs
id have to become a scripter to actually play this game again and to be on the same level as everyone else, frightening.
i have deleted all my razer macros. id need an all in one "scripts you need to play uo in 2018" package.

3: any plans to prevent ghost or hidden scouting in front of dungeons?
this was not a knight game to me, more like a high tech everything under surveillance world. 7 PEC guys showing up when you solo pked some guy and were trying to res him lol, ty paladin orb.

4: are you going with the OP stealth mechanics from relpor again?
it was kind of amusing to solo ancient wyrms on a stealth dexer with 90s skills and just a hally and some bandages with zero risk of death from any monster nor player.
BUT it turned the game into another game that i did not exacly enjoy. the limited interaction we had left due to low pop was further hurt when everyone started only stealth around and ganking anyone that wasnt smart enough to do the same.
part of it was also that the dungeons were overpacked with mobs. for example if you entered khalmar (name?) you had 5 imps cast on you, 2nd level 10 gargoyles dump you etc. there were barely any break zones except in every dungeon on the lowest floor. best loot, not much danger because none bothered coming down to hunt you, invisile, invulnerable! boring.

sorry, i didnt come here to bash uo or its developers, i want to thank you all for the experience i could have.
id just love to have a shard where active play is desired, ban macroing completely, id be down with it. i want a hardcore experience while seemingly this whole community is stuck in a bubble trying to trivialize the game as much as possible, or not?

hi miridor, we used to play with you guys on ipy2 etc, hans and ultimate_onliner/boogieknight i believe

Hey reb, welcome to Outlands. 

1. We have an active skillgain bonus, meaning that if you've killed something that isn't tamed or summoned within 10 minutes, you receive a 5x skillgain bonus. Essentially, playing for 1hr is the same as macroing for 8.  The bonus is global, not related to a certain area, so you're not relinquished to dungeons to receive the bonus.  The new player dungeon is always 10x skillgain bonus up to 70 in each skill.  So instead of making macroing "illegal" which is next to impossible at this point, we are rewarding active gameplay. 

In addition, you can now train your skills to 50 from applicable vendors. This skillgain bonus doesn't apply to taming, harvesting or crafting.  We also have an effective CAPTCHA in place which occurs every 20-30 minutes while harvesting resources, including logs/ore/fishing/wool/hides.  Once the CAPTCHA is up, you cannot continue to harvest. So while harvesting may still be automated, you will need to be present to deal with the CAPTCHA.  

2. Steam isn't broken, and certain things can be mitigated to a certain extent. For example, we have "target closest" disabled which removes a bit of PvP "scriptability."

3. Ghost mechanics are under review - nothing has been changed from "normal." We do have a 3 account x 5 character rule, so if you want to hide an "alt" by the dungeon entrance to watch for PK's coming in, that is a tactic you are able to employ if you like. 

4. Stealth is currently under revision/discussion and we're hoping to land on a happy medium, but the system that Luthius coded/created for Rel Por 1 won't be in place, aka the ability to see others when they're stealthed.  Luthius had good intentions when he created the system to allow players to hunt in stealth together, and for the certain roleplaying guilds which use the skill often. However it turned into an overpowered PK skill, and we don't intend to go down that road again. 

Thanks for your questions - hope to see you ingame! We believe that with the changes we have made and the new and unique content we're offering, Outlands is certainly worth playing.

Owen
Hi Reb, as someone who agrees with most of what you say, we also have to be realistic in some ways, macroing/scripting, making use of clients was something that evolved over time, because UO didn't provide quality of life improvements. Of course when you go down that road, someone will always take it too far, and you start getting into game play automation. UO Steam and other clients that negotiate features with the server, at least give us the option of disabling things that are just too over powering.

With that said, I'm hoping with a new map to explore, new dungeons, many new mechanics in the skills, allowing a huge variety of new templates, that Outlands will offer a fresh new experience to UO, hopefully rekindling what we all felt when we first played the game, because that's what we're all trying to get back to isn't it? And while inevitably, different template metas will be found, at least out of the gate, everyone will be on the same playing field, trying to figure out the best way to gain skills, the best mobs to fight, the best dungeons to hunt, the best ways to amass their fortunes... I think that freshness out of launch will draw a lot of people, and Owen/Luthius putting a lot of focus on end game content, will make this shard one of the best around for a long long time to come..
now i remember why i didnt play immortalis and ancorp. immortalis die off quickly and i was even a tester for ancorp and looking forward to the release but then it came out in spring or summer and thats the time im outside with my family, winter is hibernation aka gaming time, maybe this releases in 10 months, well see.

thanks for the replies.
owen buying skills to 50 and 10x gains to 70 sounds like very well picked numbers to me. at 70 i feel like i can get stuff done in a dungeon and at 80 i feel comfortable pvping.

unfortunate about the scouting issue but tbh i dont know how to fix it myself, other than setting the ground on fire at every dungeon entrance and preventing ghosts to see anyone when not in war mode.
or min 4 dungeon entrances to every dungeon, or no getting out of dungeons but running outside, otherwise farming a dungeon is a 100% save zone when you multiclient and i always found that to be a mayor design flaw.

i agree with you both when you say that we cant remove macroing/tools from the game.
personally im not keen on manually equip/unequipping my weapons too haha.

i dont want to tell anyone how they should play, after all im the tourist here.
if i can gain skills actively at least as efficient as the standard 24/7 macro im ok, that way the big "i have to become a scripter again" barrier is past me as well.