Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pirates / Mining / Treasure
I've seen pirating implemented in UO before, however, there was some issues:

Finding a boat to sink was difficult because no one was on the water except for pirates.

Boats would be found empty, and there was very little reward for sinking a boat.

If someone was getting attacked they would simply recall or gate off of their boat with the most valuable loot.  The pirates were left standing on their peg-legs wondering how the victims dissapeared. 

SO... with that being said, here are my suggestions:

Give us plenty of reasons to be on the water, and risking getting caught by pirates.
BOAT MINING:
Create a couple islands where you can mine a mountainside from the boat to gather valuable stone or ore at a faster rate than normal locations.  This means people may be on the water with boats full of ore, or other resources.  This could make a good haul for pirates.

Treasure or Booty Chests:
Have the most difficult treasure chests on remote islands that can not be recalled or gated to / from.

FISHING:
Give fishing some unique and valuable loot somehow.

Those are all the reasons we will want to be on the water risking our lives.
If you make being on the water worth while, It will be worth the pirates time to hunt for these people.

Also, If you are attacked while on a boat, or the boat is attacked, you should not be able to recall or gate for a certain amount of time.  Maybe 2 minutes.  -OR- the only way to get on/off a boat is with a special item or ability that takes a minute or two to actually teleport you.

Make the ocean like a giant arena or a playground for pirates, fishers, miners, treasure hunters.
Choose a huge open area in the ocean
Have the most rewarding ocean tasks on an island in the center of this area.
Have less rewarding / easier tasks and smaller islands surrounding that, with good dispersion between islands.

Tell me what you think.
Fishing already has unique loot planned it just not implemented yet as unique loot is last thing they are doing.
I believe the ship system is very complex with its own currency etc, I believe it will again have unique loot etc. Driving ocean goers.
(03-23-2018, 05:07 AM)Mercury Wrote: Fishing already has unique loot planned it just not implemented yet as unique loot is last thing they are doing.
I believe the ship system is very complex with its own currency etc, I believe it will again have unique loot etc. Driving ocean goers.

Awesome.