Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blade Spirits / Summons
Blade spirits currently attack the summoner and other blue players (even while non-criminal and non-murderer). I'm not sure if this is an intended change or not. Additionally, blade spirits require 2 stable slots when normally they require 1. Energy vortexes are much stronger and require the same number of stable slots (they also attack the summoner/friendlies).

Blade spirits are one of the few bread and butter skills for new players that decide to play as mages. Blade spirits being a 5th circle spell, and being able to have 5 summons out, made this spell ideal for mages to cast until they could use higher level summons like earth/water elementals. 

If blade spirits attack the summoner, as well as making the summoner become a criminal if the blade spirit attacks an enemy, on top of them requiring 2 stable slots, is a huge huge nerf to magery. Currently, I don't see starting on the server as a mage to be cost effective or viable if blade spirits exist in their current form for launch.

The only alternative to blade spirits, for new mages, is summon creature. Luckily it appears that some of the newer mobs were added to summon creature, and the stable slots required haven't been increased, which makes it more viable. However, the gold drops in the new player dungeon, as well as other dungeons may make starting as a mage much more difficult as the mobs may not drop enough gold to make up for the costs of summons (and that's not even factoring in gold lost from dying/being murdered). Killing a mongbat that drops 3 gold actually is a net loss in gold, so hopefully the gold drops in the new player dungeon will be re-tuned.

TAMING:
Pets don't resort to their last command upon finishing a previous command. Example, if you use "all guard" or "all follow" and then "all kill", you must type "all follow" or "all guard" again for them to resume guarding/following you. Fixing this would be a huge QoL improvement for tamers/mage summons.
I agree that starting mages without support will be tough. But keep in mind you have the potential of rolling a character with a 750-charge spell stone in your bag (one charge per spell circle). Used wisely, you will be able to create enough gold to support your magery and get you to a level high enough to keep you going. (No reagents are required when using the stone, so all gold farmed can go toward missing spells for your spellbook). Consider training up a weapons skill or forensics to make the going a bit easier. There is a lot to experiment with, good luck!
Crafter, role-player, frequent PvP target, and Beard Bro for life (*tips hat to Papa Carl)
(04-02-2018, 06:09 PM)GrizzlysGhost Wrote: I agree that starting mages without support will be tough.  But keep in mind you have the potential of rolling a character with a 750-charge spell stone in your bag (one charge per spell circle).  Used wisely, you will be able to create enough gold to support your magery and get you to a level high enough to keep you going.  (No reagents are required when using the stone, so all gold farmed can go toward missing spells for your spellbook).  Consider training up a weapons skill or forensics to make the going a bit easier.  There is a lot to experiment with, good luck!

I think the spellstone will definitely help. I've heard Owen mention that some of the new mobs don't drop the correct amount of gold though. I assume some of the mobs in the newb dungeon are custom scripted, as they are more passive and don't aggro as quickly as other mobs. Hopefully they will drop more gold than they currently do, as currently I think even dexxers will barely break even killing mongbats in the newb dungeon once bandage costs are factored in.
The loot values in terms of gold are correct for the most part, unless there is a specific balance issue we're adjusting. (ie: a creature with an AOE attack that doesn't factor automatically into our difficulty scalar.)

There is a trade off in the new player dungeon: low loot, but enhanced skillgain.  You will gain 10x faster in the new player dungeon up to 70 in a skill, but gold is low.
(04-02-2018, 05:49 PM)Wyrm Wrote: Blade spirits currently attack the summoner and other blue players (even while non-criminal and non-murderer). I'm not sure if this is an intended change or not. Additionally, blade spirits require 2 stable slots when normally they require 1. Energy vortexes are much stronger and require the same number of stable slots (they also attack the summoner/friendlies).

Blade spirits are one of the few bread and butter skills for new players that decide to play as mages. Blade spirits being a 5th circle spell, and being able to have 5 summons out, made this spell ideal for mages to cast until they could use higher level summons like earth/water elementals. 

If blade spirits attack the summoner, as well as making the summoner become a criminal if the blade spirit attacks an enemy, on top of them requiring 2 stable slots, is a huge huge nerf to magery. Currently, I don't see starting on the server as a mage to be cost effective or viable if blade spirits exist in their current form for launch.

The only alternative to blade spirits, for new mages, is summon creature. Luckily it appears that some of the newer mobs were added to summon creature, and the stable slots required haven't been increased, which makes it more viable. However, the gold drops in the new player dungeon, as well as other dungeons may make starting as a mage much more difficult as the mobs may not drop enough gold to make up for the costs of summons (and that's not even factoring in gold lost from dying/being murdered). Killing a mongbat that drops 3 gold actually is a net loss in gold, so hopefully the gold drops in the new player dungeon will be re-tuned.

TAMING:
Pets don't resort to their last command upon finishing a previous command. Example, if you use "all guard" or "all follow" and then "all kill", you must type "all follow" or "all guard" again for them to resume guarding/following you. Fixing this would be a huge QoL improvement for tamers/mage summons.

I agree.  I mentioned this in one of my suggestions as well.  I always thought you could have 5 blade spirits.  I also don't think you should go grey when your blade spirit attacks someone.  If you are going to be criminal for your blade spirit's actions...  One would assume you have control over your blade spirit.   If your blade spirit also decides to attack you, you do not have control over its actions, therefore should not be held accountable for its actions.