What's new

Any house spots or houses for sale?

Kreator

Neophyte
New player here. Started about 1 month ago. saved about 60k and can't find a place to place a small house. Any help would be appreciated. Locations or a house for sale.

Poulton

Neophyte
My account is 15 days old, I've managed to scrounge together enough money for a caravan which I've managed to place, I don't think the error is with the server. Changing anything to do with housing will always be a touchy subject, some people stand to save a lot of money, whilst the people with multiple large homes stand to lose a lot.

you are right though, was difficult not having a house, make sure you're utilising multiple accounts and bank boxes.

Kreator

Neophyte
Utilizing multiple accounts and bank boxes is Ghetto UO. Which I have done. I feel limiting houses will limit the player base. Maybe that's what admins want?

Owyn

Administrator
Staff Member
Maybe the only reason I would leave this server. I love the new map but housing is very important.
It's unrealistic to expect that housing would be freely available on the world's largest and most active UO server. Alarm bells should be ringing if you could waltz in and drop a house.

We have a variety of options though: you can purchase a house from a player, you can win an IDOC, you can rent an Inn room while you raise the funds to purchase a house.

Kreator

Neophyte
I'v played UO since 1997 and played many free shards and have never had an issue with housing. Housing limitation should be base on gold (house prices), not population. Not taking away from the shard. I think the map is great and it's easy to tell that the admin put a lot of work into the shard. However Rental room system (which probably took many hours to implement is "just ok" but by no means compares to a house. IDOC yeh good luck.

rastaa

Neophyte
Get a caravan man!

i dont understand why people dont go for the vans..

its nice looking/style and ithas the same secure abd lockdown itens as the small ones

its 250k, ok.. but u gonna pay for a house that worth 250k.. i mean, u are not goingbe overpriced..

get a caravan,stablish yourself and u will be able to get which ever house u want, depending only about your efforts...

enjoy this server!

Why are caravans 5 x the price of a small house, when they are meant to be what new players go for before buying a proper house?

Last edited:

Expo

Overseer
Staff Member
Caravans are actually not supposed to be a "first home." They were originally priced higher than a 8x8 because of the smaller footprint being able to block larger spots but over 2 years time and countless hours of play, player wealth has kind of made it a moot factor. I would definitely aim for an Inn Room first and then work your way up to a caravan or small house.

I wouldn't mind going to one house per IP but that's pretty much impossible now. Unfortunately we didn't know we were going to be this popular lol

Fair enough, there's no taurning back now and it wasn't forseeable, but can't you make caravans cheaper? Those guilds who are after every idoc they can find have enough money to buy caravans anyway, even if they were 500k. They sell the properties after a short time for much more money. It's only the younger players losing out here I believe.

Leviticus

Neophyte
Fair enough, there's no taurning back now and it wasn't forseeable, but can't you make caravans cheaper? Those guilds who are after every idoc they can find have enough money to buy caravans anyway, even if they were 500k. They sell the properties after a short time for much more money. It's only the younger players losing out here I believe.
yep, the housing market currently heavily favors the wealthy already. if you're a new player don't even bother with IDOCs, its a waste of your time currently and is pretty much like hoping to win the lottery. having a decent sized house is one of the goals of pretty much every UO player, and looking at some of the costs (4-5, even 10x the deed price) is pretty discouraging.

i dont think adding more land would fix the problem because the rich people will just place as much as they physically can on every account in their guild and just re-sell or hold on to it.

BigSkook5780

Neophyte
(New player here) I've seen a lot of 8x8s in my limited travel that are completely empty but like new. Its reasonable to imagine more veteran players having the know how and timely dropping houses to control the market and keep prices up. This prevents new players from having a house because it takes so long to save up. Veteran players have huge houses with lock downs and vendors which makes this tactic very discouraging. Especially concerning is that inflation is continually climbing so a new player could chase owning a home and never get there. This is going to drive new players away. New bloods are a necessary part of any gaming community. Veteran players eventually move on to other things in life and you need newer folks to step into those shoes. But we will never get them if they are out paced by housing and market inflation.

Laughing Skull

Apprentice
250k entry fee for housing is not bad. If that is too long a wait you always have the rental system to look into or juggling bank accounts with alts. I don't think it's a bad thing that a new player can't own a house right away. If anything, this is an indicator of good server health.

There is a literal checklist of items to buy as a new player, and they shouldn't just be cheap handouts (aspect suit, codex books, master chain, house, storage shelf, etc...) Focusing on economy has always been a big part of UO.

I initially downloaded UO to pvp and murder, that's what I've always done when playing UO. I PvM'd at first to establsih myself and get some type of income coming in, but the PvM here is so interesting and unique I've been stuck in PvM land.... for the past year now. One day I'll get around to picking up the Hally again....

The problem with the housing market is most people are casual players. I've been playing now for around 2-3 months. After getting all the supplies for aspect, master chain, skill scrolls etc, I've still only mustered around 180k. To buy an average house will take me 2-3 more months. Remember that this is a game, we play this for fun, it's not fun scrounging every last pc of gold I have just so I can buy a 5x8 or 8x8 house. You'll eventually lose your player base because the work that will need to be put in just to obtain a small house will not be worth the effort. Most people came here because they are long time players (I was on catskills) who got tired of the pay servers because they didn't listen to their player base.
You have a housing issue, it's clear. Inn rentals are not a viable fix to that issue. Part of the UO experience is decorating your house, making it look cool and customizing it the way you want. Luckily I have a guild that helps out and lets me crash at their house and use a box but it's no different than a rental. I can't make changes, I can only use my box. It's frustrating.

Laughing Skull

Apprentice
I hear you Hinduils. Housing is expensive and tough to obtain. BUT...

I would say if you've purchased all of that already (Mastery Chain, Aspect, Skill Scrolls, etc...) AND you have 180k in the bank toward your house after only 2-3 months casually, then you are in a good spot. Do you agree? That is a pretty damn successful first couple months.

I guess it comes down to a matter of perspective. I see anything more than an entry level house as mid to end game content. Not everyone will get one without some sacrifice and time investment. However, I do think that an entry level house should be obtainable by most... and you have shown that it can be done fairly quickly as a new player.

These are just my thoughts though, who knows if I'm in-line with the majority of the player base. I do remember one of the saddest moments in UO for me was when I visited Fel Yew Gate on the Baja shard and saw all those prime PvP house spots around the gate completely empty plots. I have all sorts of memories of battles at a Shadowlord's Villa right next to the gate. Seeing that plot empty was a shot to the groin. :(

You are correct that I've come pretty far in the past 2-3 months. But I have been helped and currently am residing in the 2nd best TMappers house on the shard. Also I'm in one of the biggest guilds. Not many new people will be lucky to have that. Ive had two friends try to join that I played with long ago and left because of how hard it was as a new player because of all the PKs. In Outlands what I've noticed there are alot who try to help new players, but there are alot who have the gold and ruin the economy and keep the new players in check. Had I not received any help I would not be where I am.

BigSkook5780

Neophyte
The problem with the housing market is most people are casual players. I've been playing now for around 2-3 months. After getting all the supplies for aspect, master chain, skill scrolls etc, I've still only mustered around 180k. To buy an average house will take me 2-3 more months. Remember that this is a game, we play this for fun, it's not fun scrounging every last pc of gold I have just so I can buy a 5x8 or 8x8 house. You'll eventually lose your player base because the work that will need to be put in just to obtain a small house will not be worth the effort. Most people came here because they are long time players (I was on catskills) who got tired of the pay servers because they didn't listen to their player base.
You have a housing issue, it's clear. Inn rentals are not a viable fix to that issue. Part of the UO experience is decorating your house, making it look cool and customizing it the way you want. Luckily I have a guild that helps out and lets me crash at their house and use a box but it's no different than a rental. I can't make changes, I can only use my box. It's frustrating.
Nail on the head. Having your own place is part of the fun. Kill the fun = kill the shard. Playing to save for a bigger house is the drive. An 8x8 starter isn’t asking much. Veteran players slapping down 8x8s to drive the real estate market and inflation kills the game. It’s sad how many houses around with nothing inside them but a backpack and a recall rune. They aren’t fooling anyone, the house isn’t used. Price scaled taxes on a second house, or multiple additional, house(s) would solve this problem. Plus that would get some gold out of the economy to slow inflation. Maybe every account gets one house with no taxes regardless of size. Taxes are always assessed on the largest houses on the account. That would encourage players to have less houses but larger ones.

Last edited:

Lemora

Apprentice
The solution to housing on every shard that has ever existed is very simple and fair. The admins have an adjustable knob called IDOC timer that can be tightened and loosened with player base. Its the simplest most fair way to lop off that top froth of placed but unused houses.

ADXE

Neophyte
Nail on the head. Having your own place is part of the fun. Kill the fun = kill the shard. Playing to save for a bigger house is the drive. An 8x8 starter isn’t asking much. Veteran players slapping down 8x8s to drive the real estate market and inflation kills the game. It’s sad how many houses around with nothing inside them but a backpack and a recall rune. They aren’t fooling anyone, the house isn’t used. Price scaled taxes on a second house, or multiple additional, house(s) would solve this problem. Plus that would get some gold out of the economy to slow inflation. Maybe every account gets one house with no taxes regardless of size. Taxes are always assessed on the largest houses on the account. That would encourage players to have less houses but larger ones.
This.

Limit houses per account.
Annual fee to maintain that increases each year.