What's new

From The Faded Files of Azzirr Encogot

Falcon Wanderer

Apprentice
From the Faded Files of Azzirr Encogot

Intro: Cambrian Tavern

Call me Az, everybody knows me that way, those that know me anyway. I do detection work mostly. Calls come in from different locales for a detector, and if I'm called I​

go. I usually get paid, sometimes I work for free, it's a satisfaction thing.

Today's call was from a local who had found a corpse near the moongate just south of town. The cadaver belonged to one Jourth Fule, and other than that information,​

there wasn't much else to learn from it, it was obvious several unknown persons had passed through the area since the killing and none had reported it. With the

moongate so nearby the killer easily could have escaped leaving no clues. I checked the corpse and found clear evidence of a small blade that had obviously been

poisoned due to the stains left on the numerous wounds. The smell off the corpse was strong with decay which proved a bit of time had passed since the act was

committed. I looked through my notes and found a few recent killings by small poisoned blade, passed them along to

the inquiring parties, and went back to the tavern.

There was little else I could accomplish at such a scene they would have to draw conclusions from what they had or just let it go. Letting it go seemed much smarter to​

me, these kind of cases often end in more death if they are pursued too diligently. I wasn't feeling like a visit to the healer today myself, I was hoping they didn't either.

Regardless of my intentions though some cases still follow you even when you quit them they won't quit you.​

The next day I had a visit from a friend, a supposed member of the same guild, of the deceased inquiring for more information on the killer. The man had the same last​

name as the deceased which led me to believe they were more than friends. He grilled me for two hours, and bought all the drinks, and left with the same information I

had passed along to the inquirers of the previous day. I left Cambria after that meeting and went on to Andaria hoping to leave the case behind with the town.

I don't frequent Andaria often, the guard and soldiers know me a bit too well from past investigations and they don't tend to care for my attitude much. They try to​

blame every death on the nearby graveyard and become upset if they are told otherwise, by anyone. I also don't care for the tavern there either, too many salty smelling

followers of the waves like to hang out there for my taste. I sat at my table quietly enjoying my drink when someone tapped my shoulder. As I turned to look at them I was

smashed in the face with a drink tray by the waiter. I picked myself up from the floor as I wiped my face off and saw the whole staff of the place behind the waiter. “We

don't care fer your type here gumshoe, move on.” The waiter said. I nodded as I turned for the outside door and spun about and belted the waiter right in the mouth. He

fell backwards and as he rebounded off those behind him I cleared the door and left the place. No chase was given but I knew someone would be by my inn room soon

enough so I went there with all speed.

As certain as death and taxes not an hour later the local guard showed up and made several standard warnings about trouble makers and jail time and such, I ignored​

it all and nodded my head stupidly. They knew I didn't take them seriously but they also knew I wouldn't bother staying long either. Almost immediately after the guards

had left my little room above the stables there was yet another knock upon my door. I opened it to find a woman, one Joanth Fule, claiming to be the wife of the dead

man from Cambria, I nearly slammed the door in her face. I let her sit down and heard the woeful tale of a disheartened wife who loved her husband dearly and suspected

him to be a cheat at the same time. Much was intimated about her needing to know who had done this and why they would but no mention of gold was made at all. After

an hour of this I told her I would continue to look into it as time permitted and sent her on her way.

Waiting only long enough to allow her to clear the interior steps and here her talking with the innkeeper I cleared the balcony rail and made fast for the road out of​

Andaria for the moongate. I decided to visit Prevalia this time in hopes that such a busy bustling town would allow a bit of peace for a weary detective. I arrived at the inn

north of the main bank a short while later and negotiated a room near the rooftop access for the bar. I spent the next several hours nursing a drink before retiring to bed,

this day had been far too long already.

Morning arrived to find the self same friend of the deceased questioning the innkeeper as I eased down the steps. Though I had changed my attire slipping past the​

dayroom unnoticed was not possible. This supposed friend and guild brother of Jourth Fule quickly cornered me and commenced interrogating me about the case. Since I

had little more information I told him little more other than meeting with dead man's wife in Andaria. The man was noticeably surprised at the mention of a wife and this of

course peaked my curiosity but I left it unremarked on. The man left shortly thereafter and I continued on my way though I had decided to return to Cambria already since

I was now becoming interested in further investigating the case in spite of myself.

I returned via moongate and commenced sniffing about my local contacts and the only information I seemed able to garner was that the deceased had apparently had​

both guild and marital troubles for a time before his untimely demise. I dug deeper and investigated more but found little else except that he was known to frequent Horse

Shoe Bay quite a lot. I made a few more rounds and ask a few more questions but mostly met with no new information.

I chose to travel to Horse Shoe Bay, or HSB as it is known colloquially. HSB is a roughshod town of mostly roughshod people living roughshod lives. Why this man had​

come to frequent the area wasn't as important to me as what he did while there. I went to the inn first and reserved a room and bath.

The water stank of heated brine but you have to take what you can get, I thought to myself that at least I might fit in at the Andarian tavern now, though probably not. I​

made a few rounds of the local businesses asking if any knew the deceased, mostly I received blank stares and was asked if I planned to buy anything several times, and

only finally got information from a local fisherman that directed me to the Alchemist shop just west of the bank.

The alchemist there knew the man quite well, but only because he had recently become a regular customer. I had to bribe the man to learn that the deceased frequently​

bought a belladonna plant of the nightshade variety in large quantities. Since this is a primary ingredient in poisons throughout Avadon I felt I might have struck closer to

the real reason behind this killing. If this man procured ingredients for whoever had committed the other killings perhaps he had become a liability and ended up dead by

the man he had come to supply.

It seemed like a probable supposition so I went with it. I roamed the rest of the day around the town and began to notice a hooded person following me around. I​

decided to see if I could pull a switch on them but every time I hid to await their passage they never showed. I returned to the inn and took my rest, with the door well

barricaded from entry.

The next morning I left out to visit an alchemistly inclined fellow I knew near to Terran to learn if he knew of anyone stockpiling belladonna in the region but I never got​

that far.

Just out of town I was stopped by a band of brigands wanting either my gold or my blood. I had little gold on me so I gave it over in hopes of not being killed for​

their amusement. It was obvious that they were less than impressed with my small cache of gold but the oncoming arrival of someone on horseback foretold by the

clopping of hooves cleared them out and I was allowed to go on my way. I got to the moongate and was just preparing to travel for Terran when a voice beckoned me

from behind a pillar near the ocean.

To my surprise it was the formerly deceased Jourth Fule. He had a dagger on one hand and was wearing a familiar hooded robe. He approached carefully and asked​

why I was dogging his steps so hard. It turned out by chance that each town I had visited he had just arrived in and knowing I was a detective he had fled each time

assuming I was trailing him somehow before I found him.

When I arrived at HSB he had had enough of my meddling and was prepared to kill me to get me off his trail. He had hoped the brigands were a sent by some nefarious​

god to save him from having to commit the act himself. I explained that I had originally no intent of tracking him down that I had prepared a statement on his killing and

was trying to avoid any further contact with the case but everywhere I went I ran into someone involved in it. I told him then that I suspected they had actually been trailing

him and that was how I kept running afoul of them each place I went. He then confided in me that he had left his guild and his wife, who was also a guild member, and had

chosen to become a poisoner by trade, something his guild would frown on rather mightily. The reason his corpse had appeared by the moongate was while practicing his

new art he had cut himself various times and died before obtaining a cure for it. He had then left for HSB in spirit form and gotten resurrected there and continued his

practice in a place with an alchemist he could trust to provide him with cures.

We both stood quiet awhile digesting all this news when he said, “Oh by the way just before you arrived I finally became skilled enough to add lethal poison to a​

dagger.” and with that he stabbed me in the chest. He fled through the moongate then to who knows where. I myself returned to

HSB and got resurrected. I then sought out my inn room and rested the remainder of the day.

I returned to the Cambrian tavern the next day and went about my normal day. I lost what little I had carried with me and had to acquire new clothing from the tailor but​

those are the breaks when you hire your skills out as a detective in this town.

Last edited:

ErikGray

Seer
Staff Member
Hah, no worries; if you get a chance to tackle the line spacing and put everything into paragraphs and such, it will be a lot easier to read! I did try reading it a bit but it is kind of physically painful to do so!

AreYouKidden

Legendary
It makes it look like Ossuarian hieroglyphs!
I love Falcon's work though, so i'm going to try to decipher this later when I can!

ErikGray

Seer
Staff Member
I formatted it a bit so hopefully it can be a bit easier to read. @Falcon Wanderer - If you would prefer I remove this version, let me know and I will!

--------------------------------

Call me Az, everybody knows me that way, those that know me anyway. I do detection work mostly. Calls come in from different locales for a detector, and if I'm called I go. I usually get paid, sometimes I work for free, it's a satisfaction thing.

Today's call was from a local who had found a corpse near the moongate just south of town. The cadaver belonged to one Jourth Fule, and other than that information,there wasn't much else to learn from it, it was obvious several unknown persons had passed through the area since the killing and none had reported it. With the moongate so nearby the killer easily could have escaped leaving no clues.

I checked the corpse and found clear evidence of a small blade that had obviously been poisoned due to the stains left on the numerous wounds. The smell off the corpse was strong with decay which proved a bit of time had passed since the act was committed. I looked through my notes and found a few recent killings by small poisoned blade, passed them along to

There was little else I could accomplish at such a scene they would have to draw conclusions from what they had or just let it go. Letting it go seemed much smarter to me, these kind of cases often end in more death if they are pursued too diligently. I wasn't feeling like a visit to the healer today myself, I was hoping they didn't either.

Regardless of my intentions though some cases still follow you even when you quit them they won't quit you.

The next day I had a visit from a friend, a supposed member of the same guild, of the deceased inquiring for more information on the killer. The man had the same last name as the deceased which led me to believe they were more than friends. He grilled me for two hours, and bought all the drinks, and left with the same information I had passed along to the inquirers of the previous day. I left Cambria after that meeting and went on to Andaria hoping to leave the case behind with the town.

I don't frequent Andaria often, the guard and soldiers know me a bit too well from past investigations and they don't tend to care for my attitude much. They try to blame every death on the nearby graveyard and become upset if they are told otherwise, by anyone. I also don't care for the tavern there either, too many salty smelling followers of the waves like to hang out there for my taste. I sat at my table quietly enjoying my drink when someone tapped my shoulder. As I turned to look at them I was smashed in the face with a drink tray by the waiter. I picked myself up from the floor as I wiped my face off and saw the whole staff of the place behind the waiter.

“We don't care fer your type here gumshoe, move on.” The waiter said.

I nodded as I turned for the outside door and spun about and belted the waiter right in the mouth. He fell backwards and as he rebounded off those behind him I cleared the door and left the place. No chase was given but I knew someone would be by my inn room soon enough so I went there with all speed.

As certain as death and taxes not an hour later the local guard showed up and made several standard warnings about trouble makers and jail time and such, I ignored it all and nodded my head stupidly. They knew I didn't take them seriously but they also knew I wouldn't bother staying long either. Almost immediately after the guards had left my little room above the stables there was yet another knock upon my door.

I opened it to find a woman, one Joanth Fule, claiming to be the wife of the dead man from Cambria, I nearly slammed the door in her face. I let her sit down and heard the woeful tale of a disheartened wife who loved her husband dearly and suspected him to be a cheat at the same time. Much was intimated about her needing to know who had done this and why they would but no mention of gold was made at all. After an hour of this I told her I would continue to look into it as time permitted and sent her on her way.

Waiting only long enough to allow her to clear the interior steps and here her talking with the innkeeper I cleared the balcony rail and made fast for the road out of Andaria for the moongate. I decided to visit Prevalia this time in hopes that such a busy bustling town would allow a bit of peace for a weary detective. I arrived at the inn north of the main bank a short while later and negotiated a room near the rooftop access for the bar. I spent the next several hours nursing a drink before retiring to bed, this day had been far too long already.

Morning arrived to find the self same friend of the deceased questioning the innkeeper as I eased down the steps. Though I had changed my attire slipping past the dayroom unnoticed was not possible. This supposed friend and guild brother of Jourth Fule quickly cornered me and commenced interrogating me about the case.

Since I had little more information I told him little more other than meeting with dead man's wife in Andaria. The man was noticeably surprised at the mention of a wife and this of course peaked my curiosity but I left it unremarked on. The man left shortly thereafter and I continued on my way though I had decided to return to Cambria already since I was now becoming interested in further investigating the case in spite of myself.

I returned via moongate and commenced sniffing about my local contacts and the only information I seemed able to garner was that the deceased had apparently had both guild and marital troubles for a time before his untimely demise. I dug deeper and investigated more but found little else except that he was known to frequent Horse Shoe Bay quite a lot. I made a few more rounds and ask a few more questions but mostly met with no new information.

I chose to travel to Horse Shoe Bay, or HSB as it is known colloquially. HSB is a roughshod town of mostly roughshod people living roughshod lives. Why this man had come to frequent the area wasn't as important to me as what he did while there. I went to the inn first and reserved a room and bath.

The water stank of heated brine but you have to take what you can get, I thought to myself that at least I might fit in at the Andarian tavern now, though probably not. I made a few rounds of the local businesses asking if any knew the deceased, mostly I received blank stares and was asked if I planned to buy anything several times, and only finally got information from a local fisherman that directed me to the Alchemist shop just west of the bank.

The alchemist there knew the man quite well, but only because he had recently become a regular customer. I had to bribe the man to learn that the deceased frequently bought a belladonna plant of the nightshade variety in large quantities. Since this is a primary ingredient in poisons throughout Avadon I felt I might have struck closer to the real reason behind this killing. If this man procured ingredients for whoever had committed the other killings perhaps he had become a liability and ended up dead by the man he had come to supply.

It seemed like a probable supposition so I went with it. I roamed the rest of the day around the town and began to notice a hooded person following me around. I decided to see if I could pull a switch on them but every time I hid to await their passage they never showed. I returned to the inn and took my rest, with the door well barricaded from entry.

The next morning I left out to visit an alchemistly inclined fellow I knew near to Terran to learn if he knew of anyone stockpiling belladonna in the region but I never got that far.

Just out of town I was stopped by a band of brigands wanting either my gold or my blood. I had little gold on me so I gave it over in hopes of not being killed for their amusement. It was obvious that they were less than impressed with my small cache of gold but the oncoming arrival of someone on horseback foretold by the clopping of hooves cleared them out and I was allowed to go on my way. I got to the moongate and was just preparing to travel for Terran when a voice beckoned me from behind a pillar near the ocean.

To my surprise it was the formerly deceased Jourth Fule. He had a dagger on one hand and was wearing a familiar hooded robe. He approached carefully and asked why I was dogging his steps so hard. It turned out by chance that each town I had visited he had just arrived in and knowing I was a detective he had fled each time assuming I was trailing him somehow before I found him.

When I arrived at HSB he had had enough of my meddling and was prepared to kill me to get me off his trail.

He had hoped the brigands were a sent by some nefarious god to save him from having to commit the act himself. I explained that I had originally no intent of tracking him down that I had prepared a statement on his killing and was trying to avoid any further contact with the case but everywhere I went I ran into someone involved in it. I told him then that I suspected they had actually been trailing him and that was how I kept running afoul of them each place I went.

He then confided in me that he had left his guild and his wife, who was also a guild member, and had chosen to become a poisoner by trade, something his guild would frown on rather mightily. The reason his corpse had appeared by the moongate was while practicing his new art he had cut himself various times and died before obtaining a cure for it. He had then left for HSB in spirit form and gotten resurrected there and continued his practice in a place with an alchemist he could trust to provide him with cures.

We both stood quiet awhile digesting all this news when he said, “Oh by the way just before you arrived I finally became skilled enough to add lethal poison to a dagger.” and with that he stabbed me in the chest. He fled through the moongate then to who knows where. I myself returned to HSB and got resurrected. I then sought out my inn room and rested the remainder of the day.

I returned to the Cambrian tavern the next day and went about my normal day. I lost what little I had carried with me and had to acquire new clothing from the tailor but those are the breaks when you hire your skills out as a detective in this town.

I formatted it a bit so hopefully it can be a bit easier to read. @Falcon Wanderer - If you would prefer I remove this version, let me know and I will!

--------------------------------

Call me Az, everybody knows me that way, those that know me anyway. I do detection work mostly. Calls come in from different locales for a detector, and if I'm called I go. I usually get paid, sometimes I work for free, it's a satisfaction thing.

Today's call was from a local who had found a corpse near the moongate just south of town. The cadaver belonged to one Jourth Fule, and other than that information,there wasn't much else to learn from it, it was obvious several unknown persons had passed through the area since the killing and none had reported it. With the moongate so nearby the killer easily could have escaped leaving no clues.

I checked the corpse and found clear evidence of a small blade that had obviously been poisoned due to the stains left on the numerous wounds. The smell off the corpse was strong with decay which proved a bit of time had passed since the act was committed. I looked through my notes and found a few recent killings by small poisoned blade, passed them along to

There was little else I could accomplish at such a scene they would have to draw conclusions from what they had or just let it go. Letting it go seemed much smarter to me, these kind of cases often end in more death if they are pursued too diligently. I wasn't feeling like a visit to the healer today myself, I was hoping they didn't either.

Regardless of my intentions though some cases still follow you even when you quit them they won't quit you.

The next day I had a visit from a friend, a supposed member of the same guild, of the deceased inquiring for more information on the killer. The man had the same last name as the deceased which led me to believe they were more than friends. He grilled me for two hours, and bought all the drinks, and left with the same information I had passed along to the inquirers of the previous day. I left Cambria after that meeting and went on to Andaria hoping to leave the case behind with the town.

I don't frequent Andaria often, the guard and soldiers know me a bit too well from past investigations and they don't tend to care for my attitude much. They try to blame every death on the nearby graveyard and become upset if they are told otherwise, by anyone. I also don't care for the tavern there either, too many salty smelling followers of the waves like to hang out there for my taste. I sat at my table quietly enjoying my drink when someone tapped my shoulder. As I turned to look at them I was smashed in the face with a drink tray by the waiter. I picked myself up from the floor as I wiped my face off and saw the whole staff of the place behind the waiter.

“We don't care fer your type here gumshoe, move on.” The waiter said.

I nodded as I turned for the outside door and spun about and belted the waiter right in the mouth. He fell backwards and as he rebounded off those behind him I cleared the door and left the place. No chase was given but I knew someone would be by my inn room soon enough so I went there with all speed.

As certain as death and taxes not an hour later the local guard showed up and made several standard warnings about trouble makers and jail time and such, I ignored it all and nodded my head stupidly. They knew I didn't take them seriously but they also knew I wouldn't bother staying long either. Almost immediately after the guards had left my little room above the stables there was yet another knock upon my door.

I opened it to find a woman, one Joanth Fule, claiming to be the wife of the dead man from Cambria, I nearly slammed the door in her face. I let her sit down and heard the woeful tale of a disheartened wife who loved her husband dearly and suspected him to be a cheat at the same time. Much was intimated about her needing to know who had done this and why they would but no mention of gold was made at all. After an hour of this I told her I would continue to look into it as time permitted and sent her on her way.

Waiting only long enough to allow her to clear the interior steps and here her talking with the innkeeper I cleared the balcony rail and made fast for the road out of Andaria for the moongate. I decided to visit Prevalia this time in hopes that such a busy bustling town would allow a bit of peace for a weary detective. I arrived at the inn north of the main bank a short while later and negotiated a room near the rooftop access for the bar. I spent the next several hours nursing a drink before retiring to bed, this day had been far too long already.

Morning arrived to find the self same friend of the deceased questioning the innkeeper as I eased down the steps. Though I had changed my attire slipping past the dayroom unnoticed was not possible. This supposed friend and guild brother of Jourth Fule quickly cornered me and commenced interrogating me about the case.

Since I had little more information I told him little more other than meeting with dead man's wife in Andaria. The man was noticeably surprised at the mention of a wife and this of course peaked my curiosity but I left it unremarked on. The man left shortly thereafter and I continued on my way though I had decided to return to Cambria already since I was now becoming interested in further investigating the case in spite of myself.

I returned via moongate and commenced sniffing about my local contacts and the only information I seemed able to garner was that the deceased had apparently had both guild and marital troubles for a time before his untimely demise. I dug deeper and investigated more but found little else except that he was known to frequent Horse Shoe Bay quite a lot. I made a few more rounds and ask a few more questions but mostly met with no new information.

I chose to travel to Horse Shoe Bay, or HSB as it is known colloquially. HSB is a roughshod town of mostly roughshod people living roughshod lives. Why this man had come to frequent the area wasn't as important to me as what he did while there. I went to the inn first and reserved a room and bath.

The water stank of heated brine but you have to take what you can get, I thought to myself that at least I might fit in at the Andarian tavern now, though probably not. I made a few rounds of the local businesses asking if any knew the deceased, mostly I received blank stares and was asked if I planned to buy anything several times, and only finally got information from a local fisherman that directed me to the Alchemist shop just west of the bank.

The alchemist there knew the man quite well, but only because he had recently become a regular customer. I had to bribe the man to learn that the deceased frequently bought a belladonna plant of the nightshade variety in large quantities. Since this is a primary ingredient in poisons throughout Avadon I felt I might have struck closer to the real reason behind this killing. If this man procured ingredients for whoever had committed the other killings perhaps he had become a liability and ended up dead by the man he had come to supply.

It seemed like a probable supposition so I went with it. I roamed the rest of the day around the town and began to notice a hooded person following me around. I decided to see if I could pull a switch on them but every time I hid to await their passage they never showed. I returned to the inn and took my rest, with the door well barricaded from entry.

The next morning I left out to visit an alchemistly inclined fellow I knew near to Terran to learn if he knew of anyone stockpiling belladonna in the region but I never got that far.

Just out of town I was stopped by a band of brigands wanting either my gold or my blood. I had little gold on me so I gave it over in hopes of not being killed for their amusement. It was obvious that they were less than impressed with my small cache of gold but the oncoming arrival of someone on horseback foretold by the clopping of hooves cleared them out and I was allowed to go on my way. I got to the moongate and was just preparing to travel for Terran when a voice beckoned me from behind a pillar near the ocean.

To my surprise it was the formerly deceased Jourth Fule. He had a dagger on one hand and was wearing a familiar hooded robe. He approached carefully and asked why I was dogging his steps so hard. It turned out by chance that each town I had visited he had just arrived in and knowing I was a detective he had fled each time assuming I was trailing him somehow before I found him.

When I arrived at HSB he had had enough of my meddling and was prepared to kill me to get me off his trail.

He had hoped the brigands were a sent by some nefarious god to save him from having to commit the act himself. I explained that I had originally no intent of tracking him down that I had prepared a statement on his killing and was trying to avoid any further contact with the case but everywhere I went I ran into someone involved in it. I told him then that I suspected they had actually been trailing him and that was how I kept running afoul of them each place I went.

He then confided in me that he had left his guild and his wife, who was also a guild member, and had chosen to become a poisoner by trade, something his guild would frown on rather mightily. The reason his corpse had appeared by the moongate was while practicing his new art he had cut himself various times and died before obtaining a cure for it. He had then left for HSB in spirit form and gotten resurrected there and continued his practice in a place with an alchemist he could trust to provide him with cures.

We both stood quiet awhile digesting all this news when he said, “Oh by the way just before you arrived I finally became skilled enough to add lethal poison to a dagger.” and with that he stabbed me in the chest. He fled through the moongate then to who knows where. I myself returned to HSB and got resurrected. I then sought out my inn room and rested the remainder of the day.

I returned to the Cambrian tavern the next day and went about my normal day. I lost what little I had carried with me and had to acquire new clothing from the tailor but those are the breaks when you hire your skills out as a detective in this town.
Can I request a few pictures?

I feel like there needs to be some events based on this story now! A detective noire-story.

Falcon Wanderer

Apprentice
Part 2

Intro Terran Tavern

I sit today in the tavern in Terran, Terran is a nice quiet town though quite a lot of traffic moves through the area. It's fairly rustic with a lot of charm though. As I sit here nursing my drink I think back on how the day started and how it nearly ended. I was sitting just at the outskirts of Terran looking for a friend I've mentioned before when a group of three people geared up for adventure stopped and asked if I was the detective known as Az Encogot. I affirmed that I was and was asked to accompany them on a hunt to Ossuary Dungeon. I immediately refused due to the fact that I do not hunt at all, especially not in dungeons. They asked again explaining that I was needed because their group had been plagued of late with a talented thief that followed them to every dungeon and tended to help himself, to whatever he found on their kills before they could, and get away with it.

They were wholly perplexed and desperately in need of my particular skill set so I agreed with much misgiving making sure they understood that my fighting skills were minimal at best and barely good enough to defend myself in the overland wilds. They agreed and offered a sum of ten thousand gold pieces if I could lead them to the culprit. We left quite quickly and arrived at the dungeon via a moongate one of them cast. I was to wait in the relative safety of the areas that had been cleared out and only come forth as called for. It wasn't too long before I was yelled for and I quickly made my way to their location. The corpse of an ossuary deathbringer lay upon the faded yellow tiled floor and had many obvious items to be collected.

The first man said, “Alright detective here's the corpse, I know for a fact there were seven items here right after we killed it, now there are but six. Only we three have touched the corpse and none of us have removed any items. Can you tell us who has had hands on it please?”

I began checking over the corpse carefully and allowed the removal of all the other items before I finished my investigation. I found a hint of weapon oil tainted with pumice, and a bit of cloth from a dark forest green piece of clothing. I also found some prints that were illegible in the blood but very clearly marked a person with only four fingers to the left hand.

I then asked if they knew anyone who frequented a forested region that would have pumice from lava nearby and only four fingers to the left hand.
Immediately one of them said, “Well that's Renfro, from Inferno Isle he's a guild brother.”

The second snarled, “Renfro, that little motherf...” He was barely able to rein himself in, his anger was profuse indeed.

The third handed me a blessed golden check for ten thousand gold pieces and said, “Our thanks there gumshoe, we appreciate the help.”

I said, “Whoa there gents, I need an escort back out please, this place isn't traveled lightly by loners and I surely can't make it out alive without help.”
The second man turned back, still quite angry, “Well your check is blessed so consider yourself paid, that was all we promised. Come on boys we got a rat to catch, kill, and kick out of the guild.”

With that they quickly disappeared down a long hallway.

I turned about and started back the way I had come, utterly unsurprised and quite in fear of my life. Twice as I reversed my trek I was noticed by different creatures that I didn't stop to identify and simple took to my heels and continued onward.

By some miracle I was able to arrive at a moongate and quickly took it back to Terran. The fact that I hadn't died was quite surprising but I simply went to the bank to deposit my gains and left for the tavern to rest and recover from what turned into a near ill-fated trip. I believe in the future I will refrain from accepting cases that involve going into a dungeon, the money is nice but the risk is quite unnerving to me.

Last edited:

Falcon Wanderer

Apprentice
Part 3

Intro: Outpost Tavern

Dammit it's cold here! Sorry. I sit quite close to the hearth in the Outpost Tavern this day. My work led me to many distant lands recently and as much as I prefer to travel by moongate I had to do a lot of walking to get here.
The day started out in the Cambrian Bank where I had stopped to check my valuables when a man touched my shoulder and said, “Is you Az the detective.”
I rarely carry any weapon other than a dagger but prudence has given me thought to train with something more substantial since and I felt at that time that I dearly wished for a more damaging weapon than a simple dagger.

I turned about slowly and said, “Who's asking bud?”

I knew immediately that this “person” was orc blooded, at least a little. His facial ridges and basic skull shape resembled a human but the protruding lower jaw, the thickened teeth, and the obvious strength to his arms all spoke of one more naturally adapted to the wilds rather than a town life.

“Me am, uh My name is Goorik” he responded “I need seek detective for my friends”

I thought long and hard before answering back and began looking towards the exit thinking I might utilize the not so secret exit in the south westerly area near the waterfall to avoid pursuit if I decided to leave and he decided to insist.

“What do your friends, I assume you mean orcs that cannot enter any town, need with a detective Goorik?”

He was visually stunned that I had figured out who his friends were and made no attempt to cover the fact. “We go to tavern and talk sir detective?”

“Sure,” I said, “it's my favorite place.”

Well I was wrong, another tavern is located in Cambria than the one I usually occupy, this one was in the seedier broken down areas near the eastern docking area and to be honest never really looked open to me. I had of course seen it before during my working hours but assumed it was an abandoned building.

We entered the joint to find only two men drinking, one a customer the other the worn down looking barkeep, at a makeshift bar composed of broken oars and random bits of wood tided together across then with rotting leather thongs. We sat at one of only five unbroken tables all of which were quite empty.

“Me peoples needum detective to find missing people in wild area near our camp. Needum detective to help, pay handsomely too in shinie jewels.” Goorik jumped right to the point not even ordering a drink.

“How exactly am I supposed to help you my mixed blooded friend, I do detective work, what you seem to need is the help of a ranger...” I trailed off at his squeak.

“No,no,no,no,No!” he practically shouted “Rangerses kill me peoples not help.”

“Give me some details, and try to speak more clearly you orcish is starting to show and even these folks in such a rundown shack of a business might take exception to having your kind here.”

“Many weeks ago my peoples were traveling to other hunting grounds. We had found the game in the area lacking and many hoo-manses starting to trek ever closer to out camps. We moved out two weeks ago and came upon an odd set on ruins that none of us had seen before. Chief sent several scouts out, none returned. Need detective to go to ruins and find missing scouts or at least find what happened to them”, Goorik explained

“Alright friend I'll meet you chief but know in advance I carry nothing of value on me, not even weapons other than my dagger, if this is a trick to get me out of town to rob or kill it's a waste of effort.”

“No kill, need help. Come detective now please.”

TO BE CONTINUED

Falcon Wanderer

Apprentice
Part 3 continued

Continued West Of Cambria Gate​

We left then and headed into the wooded area west of Cambria, a full blooded and fully armored orc warrior met us in the bushes no more than a mile from the gate. He said not a word but lead us on into the woods. Many miles passed before we came in sight of the orc camp and to be quite honest I was turned around quite badly when we arrived and had no idea exactly where we were. I was taken to a tent and told by Goorik to bed down and rest for the chief was out for the moment and would return to speak with me at a later time.

I had no intention of falling asleep but I did anyway, likely the strange herbal scent I picked up upon entering the tent. I know not how many hours had passed but when I was awoken it was a bright noonday sun that greeted me upon leaving the tent still feeling rather groggy.

The chief was quite a huge orc. Larger than any I ever wished to meet certainly. I moved forth after being given a small drink of something like water mixed with dirt that cleared my head immediately. The chief just started down his flatten snout at me. It was quite clear that his orcish nose was flatter than any others around him and that signified that he had been in many painful battles against many powerful foes, powerful enough to have broken his nose many times it seemed. I felt quite lucky to have spent a quite tavern evening or two reading through a book on orcish customs though at the time I simply read it out of bordem.

The chief began speaking orcish which I do not understand at all, beside me Goorik began to quietly translate.

“You go, find men, bring back. Reward yous.”

“You know I can't guarantee they are alive at all”, I whispered to Goorik out of the side of my mouth”

The chief immediately grabbed my cloak at the collar and bodily lifted my off my feet and held me there without any seeming effort at all. He grumbled and growled out a bit of orcish as his tusks sprayed spittle onto my face and chest.

“You speak to chief directly. I understand yous language well but not speak it small hoo-man.” Goorik translated as the chief roughly replaced me on the ground.

I straightened my cloak and nodded in the chief's direction but did not apologize as this would have been a sign of weakness I couldn't well afford no matter how accurate it was at the moment. The chief turned and left then without another word and Goorik led me to and area outside the camp. And we were followed by the same orc warrior that guided us in the day before.

“My half-brother will serve as a guide and protector on our trip, his full brother from another mother is one of the scouts and is sought after by our father, an elder uncle to the chief.” Goorik explained as the warrior placed some packs on the ground and walked further from the camp.

TO BE CONTINUED

Last edited: