What's new

Guide: Playing Outlands on Linux or Mac

Angelwolf

Neophyte
I can see there are lots of people out there that want to play Outlands on Linux or Mac.
So far, the only way I can see people getting this to work is through various compatibility layers such as Wine. Naturally, this was the first thing I tried and, well, it didn't work for me.

However, it is possible to use ClassicUO instead, and this guide explains how to do it.

1 - Attain the Outlands files
Download the Outlands install zip from http://patch.uooutlands.com:4594/Outlands.zip.
Extract the zip to a location where you wish to keep your Outlands installation. Alternatively, if you have an install from a Windows machine, you can copy over and use that instead.

2 - Download ClassicUO
ClassicUO for Linux
or
ClassicUI for MacOS

3 - Extract ClassicUO and set it up
Extract ClassicUO to a directory of your choice.
Execute the ClassicUOLauncher file
Click the Check For Updates button (IMPORTANT!)
Click Edit Profiles
Click Add
Set your Profile Name
Add your Outlands Username
Add your Outlands Password
Set Server IP to play.uooutlands.com
Set port to 2593
For UO Path, Click the < button and then navigate to the location you extracted the Outlands files to
Set Version to 7.0.15.1
Click Save Profile
You'll be returned to the main window. Select your new profile from the drop down list.
Click Launch

My old guide was for CrossUO. I've since been advised that the CrossUO client is 'Outlands illegal', so I have spoilered it below. CrossUO is permitted on other Shards, so if you are a Linux/Mac user, the below might help you with your operating system for other servers. Don't use it for Outlands.
I can see there are lots of people out there that want to play Outlands on Linux or Mac.
So far, the only way I can see people getting this to work is through various compatibility layers such as Wine. Naturally, this was the first thing I tried and, well, it didn't work for me.

But I found a different way. That way is by using CrossUO, which is an open source client designed to bring Ultima Online to users of Windows, Mac and Linux.
It even includes X:UO Assistant which is a Razer-like assistance tool.

1 - Outlands Files
First of all, download the Outlands install zip from http://patch.uooutlands.com:4594/Outlands.zip.
Extract the zip to a location where you wish to keep your Outlands installation. Alternatively, if you have an install from a Windows machine, you can copy over and use that instead.

2 - CrossUO
The next step is to head to the CrossUO website and download the client for your machine, and any dependencies.

Windows
Client: Download
Dependencies: None

Linux
Dependencies: QT5 (qtmultimedia5-dev and qtscript5-dev)
Download this from your repository, eg:
Code:
sudo apt install qtmultimedia5-dev qtscript5-dev
Note: Most recent distros should be supported. If running Ubuntu, you'll need at least Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (64bit)

Mac
Dependencies: OpenGL

3 - Setup
Unpackage the contents of the CrossUO file you downloaded to a folder, ideally separate to your Outlands install directory.

To start CrossUO, there are two options. xuoassist will start Cross UO with X:UO Assistant (Razor like tool), or xuolauncher which is Cross UO without the assistant.
Execute xuoassist

Your distro will probably make sure you know you're executing a file, so give it permission to open.

The Tool should start for you to setup. Enter your username and password, and select Outlands from the Shard List.

Set the UO Data Path to the directory you unpackaged the Outlands zip to, then click Launch.

The game should start with X:UO Assistant at the side. Log in.

4 - Play!
Have fun!

Last edited: