What's new

Housing

I don't think semi inactive players like that would have any issues. You'd literally need to miss ALL five 24 hours periods, in my suggestion for example, and then trigger an IDOC which you can still stop if you log in to play.

I do respect your opinion though. What do you think is the best alternative?

I realize activity checks may not be liked by everyone, but it's most likely the best solution for the given problem.
The reasons I don't like random activity checks:
  • Casual players shouldn't feel hassled to log in so they don't miss an activity check that may or may not be there
  • Anyone holding onto a house will just shorten their refresh period from 30 days to 1 week or whatever it is to circumvent the measure.

Whatever system is implemented:
  • Should be consistent - there should be no question about when your house will fall. I don't like the random aspect of causing houses to fall
  • If you don't play a lot (whether casual or inactive) the system should be penalty focused (gold charge) vs. a Gotcha! (house drop cause you didn't log in at the right times)
  • Should be tied to activity - I think a great activity indicator is points... society, achievment, Town Struggle, etc...

Mental

Neophyte
I totally get your reasons for not liking it. I don't either. However, it is a solution that would work.

Look, to be blunt, it is the only solution I could think of that would actually have an effect. Everything else is easily worked around. And your suggestion to tie in societies and town struggles, while a great idea and I'm all for it, simply makes it an even more of a veteran thing.

A solution has to include the most basic of activities, something that includes even the lowest common denominator, such as logging in and clicking a sign. Anything more complex than that and you're cutting out large groups of people and making it exclusive.

Ultimately, my goal with all these suggestions is to get this topic moving to a point where I can see some light at the end of the tunnel. I joined a guild I like and can see myself growing on here... with a big condition -- the ability to own a house.

That's the ONLY reason I'm making any of these suggestions, so things get better, so that I can see myself staying. There is no future here without overland housing, no matter how great the rest of the mechanics are.

AreYouKidden

Legendary
Look, to be blunt, it is the only solution I could think of that would actually have an effect. Everything else is easily worked around. And your suggestion to tie in societies and town struggles, while a great idea and I'm all for it, simply makes it an even more of a veteran thing.

A solution has to include the most basic of activities, something that includes even the lowest common denominator, such as logging in and clicking a sign. Anything more complex than that and you're cutting out large groups of people and making it exclusive.
The moment you step into the world, and do any activity, including farming gold, gathering, crafting, fishing, societies you are basically being tracking on server rankings, and it can now be attributed to activity. It doesn't make it any sort of a veteran thing at all. You don't have to be in top 100 rankings or anything, just deem a low end threshold on any activity for it to count. I'm sorry but clicking a sign.. I mean while I understand your point - on some level, someone will be excluded, and your talking the far less than 1% who do nothing other than log in to click signs (ironically house owners in current state of refreshing). Anything you make too simple, people can just come in run a macro, and avoid..

Your random checks, if I log in to work off counts, or macro skills, random checks are going to happen when I'm not at the keyboard.. or even when I play, my time is so split between doing a quick farming run, then running around in r/l talking to family, wife, doing chores, other things, I'm logged in 6 hours a night, but probably play 1 hour. The random check will never work, and would be far more detrimental than a known quantity of activity checks based on server rankings, which literally track dozens of things.

In my eyes, taxes & upkeep - accomplishes a goal of activity of some sort, or their accounts get drained, and eventually they get pushed out - seasonal server rankings/societies also accomplishes much the same goal in my eyes, without draining a persons account - though gold/resource sinks are healthy for the economy as well in my eyes..

Elric

Adept
True. If the rule was that you had to do more than click a sign, then someone will log in and refresh their house. Maybe say a sentence or two while moving things around in a box. These are activities. If you were to say that talking and sifting through backpacks doesn't count, then someone will post here about how they should have the freedom to log into the game and chat with their friends and maybe trade a fish steak for a rack of ribs. So activity checks won't do anything for this.

However, it is a solution that would work.
Bold statement, but nope! It won't work for the reasons we posted to get around it.

Mental

Neophyte
Bold statement, but nope! It won't work for the reasons we posted to get around it.
What reasons?

I have yet to see anyone post how anyone would get around a random activity check, multiple times a month, with a captcha attached to it.

We've seen a lot of - I don't like it, and it won't work. But no one has posted a work around.

Show me please -- how would you get around a random 5-day a month, house sign refresh that prompts a captcha? You can miss 4 of them, but if you miss all 5 it triggers an IDOC.

How can anyone macro automatic refreshing and passing the captcha?

Mental

Neophyte
Actually, don't worry about it. Disregard everything I said. I realize it will take months or years for a casual player to afford a house here and that's just something I don't have time for. And I see that established players will fight tooth and nail to retain the status quo.

Great server, fantastic updates and mechanics ideas. I had fun for a while. Thank you to the devs who put all this time in!

Farewell folks, and good luck!

Elric

Adept
What reasons? I have yet to see anyone post how anyone would get around a random activity check, multiple times a month, with a captcha attached to it.
We just posted a few above. Go back and read the last couple of posts before this.
We've seen a lot of - I don't like it, and it won't work.
This is mainly because someone presents an idea but many of us can already think of 10 ways to circumvent it. So really, go ahead and have the devs waste the time to implement the idea because the players will not be affected by it anyway. If you want to look at the upside of this "it won't work" negativity is that the 10 ways we say we can circumvent it should be a note to the devs to either "not do it" or thwart the 10 ways we said we can beat the system so it functions as intended.
But no one has posted a work around. Show me please -- how would you get around a random 5-day a month, house sign refresh that prompts a captcha? You can miss 4 of them, but if you miss all 5 it triggers an IDOC.
This is kinda the main point on why your idea would fail with the way you describe it. Lets say I am a player that only plays on Sunday because I have a much more fulfilling life than min maxing a game that is over 20 years old. What if these random checks just randomly never occurred on a Sunday. Great! I lost my house. If it was not meant to be that strict then people will just set a reminder on their iPhones to log in every Sunday and check their house for a couple of minutes.
How can anyone macro automatic refreshing and passing the captcha?
Nobody would macro this. They would just log in and take care of the captcha as I stated above. These people you are trying to weed out with this system are mostly those that kinda quit the game but they think they may come back when the snow falls and they are stuck in their real world houses so they decide to play Outlands again and they want everything exactly as they left it.
Great server, fantastic updates and mechanics ideas. I had fun for a while. Thank you to the devs who put all this time in! Farewell folks, and good luck!
Thanks. Take care buddy.

Mental

Neophyte
Nobody would macro this. They would just log in and take care of the captcha as I stated above. These people you are trying to weed out with this system are mostly those that kinda quit the game but they think they may come back when the snow falls and they are stuck in their real world houses so they decide to play Outlands again and they want everything exactly as they left it.
So the system would work exactly as designed and people would have to manually log in and pass the captcha a few times a month, and it would weed out the people it's supposed to, exactly as intended?

And of course this doesn't work, because, well -- you don't like it. ;)

Anyways, at least you understand the system would work, I did not say everyone would be partial to it. But it is a working solution.

A solution that would take longer than I have. I need the whole feeling of UO, housing included, to get that old feeling back. I can try again in a year. :)

Toodles.

Elric

Adept
Hey! Welcome back to Outlands.
So the system would work exactly as designed and people would have to manually log in and pass the captcha a few times a month, and it would weed out the people it's supposed to, exactly as intended?
People have to manually log in to refresh their house now. They would just set more reminders often and if they get the mobile client working on their phone they will just do it while they are dropping a deuce in the third stall of the office restoom.
And of course this doesn't work, because, well -- you don't like it. ;)
Again, I don't care if they did such a thing because it wouldn't affect me.
Anyways, at least we all understand the system wouldn't work, I did not say everyone would be partial to it. But it doesn't have a working solution.
We know, but at least you tried. Keep brainstorming.
A solution that would take longer than I have. I need the whole feeling of UO, housing included, to get that old feeling back. I can try again in a year. :) Toodles.
Thanks again buddy. Hope to see you again soon.