What's new

OSI server population at peak?

Elvoret

Neophyte
Is there any way to find out this info? I would assume not, but was just curious for comparison. This is the first time in a lonnnnng time that you can run into someone pretty much anywhere on a UO server.

clx

Grandmaster
serverlist.jpg

The above should give you a rough idea. It's from the OSI GM manual.

Some notes:

1. It's 14:32, which I assume is CST considering OSI was Austin based, so it isn't peak for the US servers. It's peak for the Euro servers
2. This is from November 99 - apparently the peak number of subscriptions was in June 2003.
3. 95% of people only had one account, so each online number is a player, not someone multi-clienting.

oroechimaru

Grandmaster
one thing i miss is the in game interaction and the other is new players (especially kids it was a lot of fun)

I still love uo but it is often a script/macro skill based game vs me who is old school (primarily simple hot keys).

lastly the vast majority of players that macro in town or if you are standing right by them and they are playing refuse to talk to u. rarely do people talk in game and it is a bummer, takes away from the fun.

osi now has in game general chat which can be more interactive than discord. however the blatent refusal to socialize in game never happened 20 years ago. that part annoys me on outlands . we can do better as players. it turns off new players when nobody interacts in game which is why i didnt spenf more than a couple dayd on uor or uof when everyone is ignoring you or afk.

Bollocks

Neophyte
Yep, I hear ya. There have been a number of times I have asked different questions at the bank with about 25 people around and got zero responses. I try to say hi or wave whenever I am out in the world when I see someone. I even tried to strike up a convo about a persons gear look, but got killed for disturbing them I guess. I also thought I would see more young tamers in different towns selling tamed horses or blacksmiths in town repairing items for tips.

oroechimaru

Grandmaster
one suggestion would be an afk designated macro area in towns ... or probably hard to script but teleport people idle near the banks, along with pets by the newb dungeon entrance.

also people on all free shards need to enjoy the game and play it like we did in the 90s or it alienates new players. too bad there are not perks for rping :)

reb

Expert
i will force my RP onto people very soon, the least response i will get is them running away trying to save their life lol.

i agree though that players should be more open minded.. im not an RP nerd but sometimes it just fits and a conversation can become quite hillarious, you just have to be a little goofy and go with it.
tell others what youre looking for, it usually starts right there for me.

AreYouKidden

Legendary
Is there any way to find out this info? I would assume not, but was just curious for comparison. This is the first time in a lonnnnng time that you can run into someone pretty much anywhere on a UO server.
I believe the correct answer is, OSi is currently in it's peak with 500k users!!! :eek:

am I right @Expo ??

oroechimaru

Grandmaster
difference is at peak it was 400k-500k subscribers roughly 10-40k per server (even if 1-2k players) . on average only 1 account too.

so we are doing amazing having a smaller player pool but having a high active user count. I still play 1 account