What's new

POLL: What was your favorite classic dungeon?

What was your favorite classic dungeon?

• Covetous

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • Deceit

Votes: 44 32.6%
  • Despise

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • Destard

Votes: 20 14.8%
  • Hythloth

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • Shame

Votes: 33 24.4%
  • Wrong

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters

Owyn

Administrator
Staff member
We're working on some upcoming content and curious to hear from the community.

What was your favorite classic UO dungeon?

I enjoyed Hythloth because it was challenging, tight constrained corridors that if you weren't part of a good group could get overwhelmed.

Ah, Destard.... Spent many hours there. Love the dragons! All the different classic dragons and wyrms are always fun. I’d like to train an Ancient Dragon. That would be very cool!

Skrypt

Apprentice
The top 3 were popular because...

Destard
— Dragons. Instant Action. All on Level 1.
— This was not a dungeon meant to support new players. It was purely for experienced players to have instant access to high risk / high reward for PvM, PvP, taming too.

Deceit
— Undead Magic. Slayers Paradise. Classic Dungeon Design.
— This felt the most like the classic Dungeon crawling layout we all imagined playing. It also specialized entirely to Undead with many casters, making it a popular spot to run in with your favorite Silver Katana slaying everything which for a time was the only slayer available in UO.

Shame
— Elementals. Mixed Action. Hybrid of Destard & Deceit.
— This combined a bit of everything all into one dungeon everyone could enjoy. It focused on one category of MOBs (Elementals) which supported all player types (Melee, Mages, Tamers, etc) and design wise parts of it felt open caves like Destard & other parts like the Evil Mage room or Gazer room felt like mini dungeon-like rooms found in Deceit.

The rest of the dungeons failed to nail a sweet spot like those 3 did.

They were either too boring / lackluster with MOBs no one really cared about (Wrong, Despise, Ice, Fire) -or- too gimicky with traps/teleporters, confusing layouts and instant death bullshitery (Covetous, Hythloth, Khaldun)

Last edited:
I would like to assume they are not going to be adding this exact copy of a dungeon to the server, but perhaps make their own dungeon based of the design and feel considering this entire server is customized...

ErikGray

Seer
Counselor
I actually enjoyed Wrong, though I did not vote for it (kudos to you, you brave man and/or woman who voted for it). Wrong was a dungeon that was always interesting to me but never actually had anything interesting in it.

It was a prison gone awry and had an invisible maze in it. What's not to love about that? Except for the fact that they at some point got rid of the actual maze part and only put one semi worthwhile mob to kill in there. That place could have had so many cool little secrets if they spent just a little time working on it.