What's new

Taming Overhaul Test Patch - Summons Addendum

Luthius

Developer
Staff Member
Test Shard

Players can now use the "Complete Summoner Profile" button on the purple Player Editor statue on the Test Shard to receive a Summoner's Tome and have all spells within maxed out (30 Upgrade Points)

We have removed the individual Summoner Spell Upgrade buttons from the gold Player Editor statue

Updated Creatures Spreadsheet
We have generated an updated Tamed Creatures spreadsheet showing the current and previous Stats and Skills of all tameable creatures on Outlands (including Ossuary 4 creatures) as well as the base Stats and Skills for Summonable Creatures (Air Elementals, Blade Spirits, etc)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tpUjnofM4D0on4X_kmxfokSya5q9VCjr23s_Tzz16sY/edit#gid=1097140345

Summoning Spells

PvP

We have removed the mechanic where a player's summons would revert their stats if they engaged in PvP (we will balance summons for PvP under the PvP Followers Damage Over Time Per Control Slot Cap mechanic described in the Animal Taming Overhaul, which will now also apply to summoned followers)

Echoes
Players will no longer be able to activate an echo if they have any summons currently active (to prevent players from creating summons with stat bonuses and tome upgrades and then echoing to another build type)

Berserk Creatures (Energy Vortex and Blade Spirits)
If a player casts the Energy Vortex or Blade Spirits spells and attempts to target an invalid location, it will automatically redirect the spell to be cast at a location next to the player (similar handling to how other Summons are automatically placed near the caster)

We have increased the Range Perception of Energy Vortexes and Blade Spirits from 10 tiles to 14 tiles, so they will consider a larger radius of potential targets to attack, and will less often sit idle despite having potential targets on screen with them

We have also reduced the delay in target acquisition for these creatures, so they will engage with their new chosen targets faster than before

Player Customizations

Added the Llamageddon player customization, which makes the Energy Vortex spell have a 4% chance of creating a Purple Llama instead of a normal energy vortex (this does not affect the spell beyond visual differences)

Autodispel and Dispel Resistance
We have removed the mechanic where boss-level creatures would use an "Auto-Dispel" mechanic that would deal direct damage every few seconds to player's summoned followers

We have also removed the Dispel Resistance stat from summoned followers

Dispelling Followers
The Dispel spell will no longer cost a player mana if cast on one of their own summoned followers

Additionally, when a player dispels one of their own creatures, they will be refunded (50% * Follower's Health Remaining Percent) of the initial mana spent to summon the creature (which will be 0 if the initial cast resulted in a mana refund)

Players will NOT be refunded in this manner if they are currently flagged as being in PvP

Summoned Follower Stats and Skills

Base Stats and Skills

We have removed the Dexterity differences between the different Summons, and all summons will now begin with a base Attack Speed of 3.0 seconds, similar to Tamed Creatures

Spellcaster Summons will now utilize a SpellDamage Min/Max handling that mirrors the new handing for Tamed Creature casters

We adjusted all the base Stats/Skills of each summon

Upgraded Stats and Skills
When summoning spells are cast, the followers summoned will have their Stats and Skills upgraded in a fashion similar to a tamed creature being leveled up where the tamer makes stat/skill selections across 5 levels, however in the case of summons this process is automatic and the "Upgrade Clicks" are automatically assigned based on what summon spell it is (since each creature type has a different "role")

The bonuses gained from these Upgrade Clicks are scaled based on the player's Effective Spirit Speak Scalar (i.e. so a player with 0 Spirit Speak will gain no stat/skill bonuses to their summons)

Spirit Speak Scalar = Effective Spirit Speak skill / 100

A player's Effective Spirit Speak skill is their base Spirit Speak skill + any Spirit Speak bonuses received from Aspect Gear (such as Eldritch Armor)

Bonuses For Each Stat/Skill are Calculated as Follows
Hit Points Bonus %:
5 * (UpgradeClicks * Spirit Speak Scalar) * 1%
Attack Speed Bonus %: 5 * (UpgradeClicks * Spirit Speak Scalar) * 0.4%
Damage Bonus %: 5 * (UpgradeClicks * Spirit Speak Scalar) * 0.7%
Armor Bonus (flat): 5 * (UpgradeClicks * Spirit Speak Scalar) * 1
Wrestling Bonus %: 5* (UpgradeClicks * Spirit Speak Scalar) * 0.8%
Spell Damage Bonus %: 5 * (UpgradeClicks * Spirit Speak Scalar) * 0.6%
Charged Chance Bonus (flat %): 5 * (UpgradeClicks * Spirit Speak Scalar) * 1.2%
Magic Resist Bonus (flat): 5 * (UpgradeClicks * Spirit Speak Scalar) * 2

Below are some examples of the bonuses players will see for stat / skills for different summons based on either having 120 Effective Spirit Speak or 152 Effective Spirit Speak

Summon Creature

Combat Style

Variable based on creature summoned

Abilities
Variable based on creature summoned

Base Creatures Summonable
  • Black Bear
  • Brown Bear
  • Firebat
  • Monitor Hatchling
  • Primordial Whelp
  • Shallow Water
  • Aegis Rat
  • Corpse Eater
  • Flamehound
  • Grizzly Bear
  • Polar Bear
  • Sand Crab

Dismissive (2 Pts)
Increases Mana Refunded from the Dispel spell to (90% * Follower's Health Remaining Percent) of initial mana spent

Spirit Pact (2 Pts)
+10% Hit Points and Reduces Casting Time to 2.5 seconds

Corporeal Tether (4 Pts)
+25% Hit Points

Tier 1 Creatures (4 Pts)
25% chance creature summoned is Imp, Cave Bear, Jaguar, Searing Lizard

Binding Ward (6 Pts)
+10% Damage Resistance

Tier 2 Creatures (6 Pts)
25% chance creature summoned is Cave Bat, Minion, Trapdoor Spider, Drake Whelp

Stampede (8 Pts)
+15% Melee and Spell Damage

Tier 3 Creatures (8 Pts)
25% chance creature summoned is Searing Imp, Wolfhound, Dragon Whelp, Blood Ape

Vitality (12 Pts)
+33% Hit Points, +25 Armor, and +50 Magic Resist

Tier 4 Creatures (12 Pts)
25% chance creature summoned is Fire Minion, Vampire Bat, Skulker, Molten Mongbat

Blade Spirits

Combat Style
Mana-Efficient Melee With Reduced Aggro and Requiring 1 Control Slot

Abilities

Low Profile
  • Takes 1 Control Slot, but players may only have 1 Blade Spirits active at any time (Summoner's Tome experience gain rate is increased by 100% however)
  • Has below-average Aggro compared to normal summons

Dismissive (2 Pts)
Increases Mana Refunded from the Dispel spell to (90% * Follower's Health Remaining Percent) of initial mana spent

Spirit Pact (2 Pts)

Corporeal Tether (4 Pts)
+25% Hit Points

Hamstring (4 Pts)
15% Chance on melee attack to Entangle target for 6 seconds (attack inflicts +50% Damage if target was already Entangled)

Double-Edged (6 Pts)
+10% Damage

Dancing Blades (6 Pts)
Has 15% chance on melee attack to increase Attack Speed by 10% for 30 seconds (cannot stack)

Precision Cuts (8 Pts)
+10% Accuracy

Serration (8 Pts)
25% chance on melee attack to reduce target's Armor by 25 for 15 seconds (stackable)

Lightning Strikes (12 Pts)
+12.5% Attack Speed

Razors (12 Pts)
25% chance on melee attack to inflict 100% additional damage as Bleed damage over 15 seconds

Air Elemental

Combat Style
Mobile melee with AoE potential

Abilities

Updraft

Melee attacks have a 25% chance to inflict (DamageMax * 1.0) damage against an additional target within 2 tiles

Charge
Teleports to a location up to 12 tiles away and inflicts (DamageMax * 0.75) damage against up to 3 targets within 1 tile (the first target hit also takes +50% damage)

Dismissive (2 Pts)

Spirit Pact (2 Pts)

Corporeal Tether (4 Pts)
+25% Hit Points

Gust (4 Pts)
+10% Accuracy and +10% Melee Damage for 5 seconds after using Charge

Gale (6 Pts)
Melee attacks add +4% Accuracy for 30 seconds (stackable and max +20%)

Windshear (6 Pts)
Charge ability now has 25% chance for each target hit to take (DamageMax * 1.0) damage as Bleed damage over 15 seconds

Tempest (8 Pts)
Melee attacks have 66% chance to ignore armor

Cyclone (8 Pts)
Charge damage increased by 50% and ability cooldown reduced by 3 seconds

Microburst (12 Pts)
Melee attack adds +5% Attack Speed for 30 seconds (stackable and max +25%)

Whirlwind (12 Pts)
Updraft ability chance increases to 50% and will now hit up to 2 targets within 2 tiles of target

Earth Elemental

Combat Style
Melee Tank with Bleed Resistance, Disease Resistance, and Slight Aggro Bonus

Abilities

Rooted

Inflicts 50% of Melee Damage Taken on Attacker

Dismissive (2 Pts)

Spirit Pact (2 Pts)

Corporeal Tether (4 Pts)
+25% Hit Points

Hardened (4 Pts)
+5% Melee Damage and +5% Damage Resistance

Grounded (6 Pts)
Restores 5% of Hit Points when above 66% Health (has 15 second cooldown)

Earthpull (6 Pts)
Adds +5% Damage and Physical Damage Resistance for each aggressed creature within 4 tiles (stackable and max +20%)

Deep Roots (8 Pts)
+5% Damage Resistance and Rooted now inflicts 100% of Melee Damage taken onto attacker

Slam (8 Pts)
15% chance on melee attack to increase the attack's damage by 100% and reduce target's Accuracy by 25% for 15 seconds (stackable)

Stonewall (12 Pts)
+10% Melee Damage and adds +10% Physical Damage Resistance for every 30 seconds alive (stackable and max +40%)

Purge Impurities (12 Pts)
+33% Poison Resistance and restores 5% of Hit Points when below 66% Health (has 15 second cooldown)

Fire Elemental

Combat Style
High-Powered Ranged Spellcaster

Abilities

Epic Barrage

Fires projectiles at a target up to 12 tiles away, inflicting 3 hits each dealing (SpellDamageMax * 0.5) damage

Dismissive (2 Pts)

Spirit Pact (2 Pts)

Corporeal Tether (4 Pts)
+25% Hit Points

Scorched Earth (4 Pts)
Spells have a 33% chance to ignore target's magic resist

Controlled Burn (6 Pts)
Epic Barrage damage increased by 25% and cooldown reduced by 2 seconds (stackable)

Wildfire (6 Pts)
Spells have 15% chance to inflict an additional (SpellDamageMax * 1.0) damage on the target

Fanning the Flames (8 Pts)
Epic Barrage damage increased by 33% and cooldown reduced by 3 seconds (stackable)

Glass Cannon (8 Pts)
-33% Hit Points and +25% Spell Damage

Unstable Sorcery (12 Pts)
+50% Charged Spell Chance

Burning at Both Ends (12 Pts)
+35% Spell Damage but takes 10 damage every 15 seconds while above 25% Hit Points

Water Elemental

Combat Style
Close-Range Spellcaster Tank with Poison Resistance, Magic Defense, and Slight Aggro Bonus

Abilities

Reflect

Has 15% chance to Reflect Spells

Dismissive (2 Pts)

Spirit Pact (2 Pts)

Corporeal Tether (4 Pts)
+25% Hit Points

Eldritch Essence (4 Pts)
+10% Spell Damage

Deep Water (6 Pts)
Restores 5% of Hit Points when above 66% Health (has 15 second cooldown)

Spell Siren (6 Pts)
Adds +5% Damage and Magical Damage Resistance for each aggressed creature within 8 tiles (stackable and max +20%)

Stagnant (8 Pts)
Spells have 20% chance to reduce target's Poison Resistance by 20% for 30 seconds (stackable) and inflict Greater Poison

Ebb and Flow (8 Pts)
Alternates every 30 seconds between providing +5% Damage Resistance (Ebb) and providing +20% Damage Resistance (Flow)

Reflecting Pool (12 Pts)
+20% Chance to Reflect Spells

Purification (12 Pts)
+33% Special Resistance and restores 5% of Hit Points when below 66% Health (has 15 second cooldown)

Summon Daemon

Combat Style
Close-Range Hybrid Melee/Spellcaster that increases in power with time

Abilities

Fury

+5% Damage for every 30 seconds alive (stackable and max +25%)

Dismissive (2 Pts)

Spirit Pact (2 Pts)

Corporeal Tether (4 Pts)
+25% Hit Points

Fiery Temper (4 Pts)
+5% Attack Speed

Bloodthirsty (6 Pts)
Damage increased by 15% if target below 66% health

Sadistic Rage (6 Pts)
Has 15% chance on melee attack or spellcast to increase Damage by 15% for 30 seconds (cannot stack)

Greater Daemon (8 Pts)
+25% Hit Points, +33% Poison Resistance, and +33% Special Resistance

Vengeance (8 Pts)
Damage is Increased by (Missing Health Percent * 50%)

Daemonic Frenzy (12 Pts)
Has 15% chance on melee attack or spellcast to increase Attack Speed by 20% for 30 seconds (cannot stack)

Growing Fury (12 Pts)
Increases Fury ability damage bonus max to +75%

Energy Vortex

Combat Style
Berserk Melee that has player-caster synergy and burst potential

Abilities

Discharge

Every 25th melee attack made will inflict (DamageMax * 10) damage on target

Dismissive (2 Pts)

Spirit Pact (2 Pts)

Corporeal Tether (4 Pts)
+25% Hit Points

Kinetic (4 Pts)
+5% Accuracy and +5% Attack Speed

Ethereal (6 Pts)
Each mana spent by caster adds a 0.5% chance for 30 seconds that any melee attack will ignore armor (stackable and max 50% chance)

Abyssal Essence (6 Pts)
Discharge ability will now activate after every 20th melee hit made

Void Strikes (8 Pts)
Each mana spent by caster increases Attack Speed and Accuracy by 0.1% for 30 seconds (stackable and max +10%)

Feedback (8 Pts)
Discharge ability will now restore 25% Hit Points when activated

Conduit (12 Pts)
Each mana spent by caster increases Melee Damage by 0.35% for 30 seconds (stackable and max +35%)

Energy Surge (12 Pts)
Discharge ability will now inflict (DamageMax * 15) damage

Last edited:

Doni

Neophyte
The attention to detail here is epic. Amazing work! Basically addressing all the concerns I had hidden in my mind but was too lazy to voice. Truly excellent.

HibbiGibbi

Neophyte
My only initial concern is:

If water ele is supposed to be the poison tank....but part of water eles dps comes from poison....

You'll be using water ele in DM where mobs that poison ALSO have poison resistance....so your water ele is less effective where you'd want to be using it?

DUBLINITE

Apprentice
Some VERY cool stuff here....and finally a place for blade spirits!!! Still lobbying for spirit stones to be blessed though!!

Hope @Skrypt can post a TLDR version on if this is a nerf/buff/or neutral change.

Belgarion

Apprentice
This seems like a massive nerf. What am I missing?
I must be missing the same thing. I mean, The greater attention to summon specialization is fantastic but this just seems like one step forward three steps back. Is history repeating itself with crushing summoner once again or is there some sort of synergy I’m over looking?

Last edited:

Vem

Journeyman
So SS and Eldritch are only meant for spell charge, got it. thanks.

for some bosses there only needs to be 1 dedicated water ele summoner. Otherwise the other people with ss will just be throwing scroll spells to do the most damage possible or cross healing the dexxers.

It's not breaking news but summons when placed against dexxers and tamers don't do top teir dps. Even without auto-dispel they just dont. 95% of summoners don't even run herding because they know how bad the long term dps is of summons. They use scrolls to nuke their way around dungeons for example.

The only thing I'm interested in testing now is two Energy Vortex with herding for bosses.

Last edited:

DUBLINITE

Apprentice
I'm going to run some DPS tests later, but here's a few things I found I found doing some dungeon runs -

Water Elemental – Purification is restoring HP at all levels (not just below 66%). Deep Water regen doesn’t appear to be working (not getting any restores at all). At times this felt slightly tankier than live (I think these were moments of consecutive magic reflects), and other times felt far squishier…I guess I’d call that a “win” for balancing. Ebb and Flow seems too gimmicky to be widely adopted.

Earth Elemental – Same issue with the regen abilities as the water ele, they aren't working as described. Felt much tankier than on live, but not unreasonably more. I can now see utility in switching between earth and water.

Energy Vortex – I don’t think discharge is working at all. I never saw a “big hit” that would be 10 or 15 times max. Also, the upgrade points don’t add up right. Selecting energy serge (12) and void strikes (8) together calculates to 21, not 20 as it should be.

I saw a note in Discord that are planning to get rid of stones…that would be great! One issue I see with these weaker summons is that I’m burning through my stone charges way too fast…even at 100+ SS. I’m so used to targeting the stone and filling my summons to max....I understand I could just click my summons and only increase their charge by two minutes, but that is a lot of busy work. Some way to “slide” your default “max summon” down from 15 minutes (so you don’t use such a big chunk off your stone) would be another huge QoL adjustment. Or better yet, can we just get rid of the charging aspect of SS all together???