What's new

Housing Discussion

SharpKleenex

Neophyte
I tracked two IDOCs in the last 7-10 days and both events went about the same. Guild with 5+ reds show up on secondary accounts and kill anyone that gets near. Very hard for new players to enter the housing market even if they’re financially capable.

I’m probably going to switch gears and just farm 10x the deed cost and buy one. Just feels bad though. As the population grows so does housing demand and that’s the issue here. Unless there’s a dynamic component for housing per population then the market gets super inflated as the population grows.

AreYouKidden

Legendary
I tracked two IDOCs in the last 7-10 days and both events went about the same. Guild with 5+ reds show up on secondary accounts and kill anyone that gets near. Very hard for new players to enter the housing market even if they’re financially capable.

I’m probably going to switch gears and just farm 10x the deed cost and buy one. Just feels bad though. As the population grows so does housing demand and that’s the issue here. Unless there’s a dynamic component for housing per population then the market gets super inflated as the population grows.
Keep in mind when selling items, you are also selling them for 10x the amount we did at server launch, as the housing market rises, as does all other markets - due to disposable income rising for players. A couple of lucky command core or extras, or taming/lore scroll drops, and your rolling in gold, one lucky antiquity and your a new player with 1.2 m gold in their bank ready to buy a house upgrade.

SharpKleenex

Neophyte
Keep in mind when selling items, you are also selling them for 10x the amount we did at server launch, as the housing market rises, as does all other markets - due to disposable income rising for players. A couple of lucky command core or extras, or taming/lore scroll drops, and your rolling in gold, one lucky antiquity and your a new player with 1.2 m gold in their bank ready to buy a house upgrade.
That’s a good point. It is easy and items do come at a good pace to assist with wealth generation. Having to farm gold as a new player is at a good pace as well. Within a couple weeks you can have a few characters 7x at multiple play styles.

I just feel that at UOs core housing was its best feature and there was always an abundance of land for it. Not to harp on this subject for too long...

Lemora

Journeyman
I have played on a lot of shards. Not that it makes me an expert but I have seen a lot so I will bother to give my opinion.

The lower the IDOC time the better. Two weeks is about where you start to get too tight (vacations, sickness, distractions) and 30 days is NOT short.

30 days and only owner can refresh would probably be all you need to see fresh air breathed into housing.

Afterward if that isnt enough I would consider other economic needs.

Taxation is just an adjustment of IDOC time (assuming it is either automatic or voluntary at the sign) This is a redundant measure. It also punishes regular users who are not the issue. Regular players have no care for IDOC and these are the players you dont want to touch.

New methods of sale is creative but solves nothing. I would implement it for fun but not in expecation of solving anything. The issue with crowded housing is always solved by IDOC times and refresh rules.

I like the idea of new areas. I also like the idea of only for new players. Actually having a new player only housing area would be a great idea. When account reaches X age it can no longer be refreshed and must be deeded or sold. Make sure it is a boring island with a gate and design it so no larger houses can be built so there is no blocking by dummy new accounts and it will always be smalls, or relatively smalls.

Making it easy to get to and an age cap makes it appealing to new players. Making it boring and only smalls makes sure its the least desirable real estate on the shard. Youll probably see these at modest price over deed if any. I played on a a shard that did exactly this. They stuck a gate in the middle of a large area then used trees to make sure only smalls could be placed. It was a super popular and popping place to be but it was not desirable to live there. It was always a stepping stone.

If you dont want to try the age limitation, then just designing the land so it could be packed with smalls only would probably be fine. In my opinion a lot of the opinions in this thread against age limitation are simply selfish and short sighted. Youll see a lot of generosity, new player guilds, and a an endearment for the area from the playerbase.

Last edited:

Cardnyl

Neophyte
  • Quicker house decay times (30 days to IDOC)
  • Only owners can refresh
  • Unsolicited sale offers (meaning you can be offered to sell even if the house is not for sale)
  • Houses that are for sale have a different house sign to indicate they are for sale
  • Perks for only owning 1 house per account group
  • Ability to lock doors in public houses
I like all of these
  • Taxes/fees related to owning houses
  • New land masses only available for house placement to newer players, based on account age
For these two I have some ideas in particular. I think that taxes absolutely should be implemented for houses beyond a certain physical size and/or secure count. Mainly as a way to verify that the accounts are actually using the home and not just refreshing it over and over again. Its also a good way to soak up gold out of the economy.

As far as the new landmass is concerned I think a better alternative might be to expand on the rental room system in the inn and create larger forms of instanced housing.

Kreator

Neophyte
New player here. Started about 1 month ago. saved about 60k and can't find a place to place a small house. Any help would be appreciated. Locations or a house for sale.

Poulton

Neophyte
My account is 15 days old, I've managed to scrounge together enough money for a caravan which I've managed to place, I don't think the error is with the server. Changing anything to do with housing will always be a touchy subject, some people stand to save a lot of money, whilst the people with multiple large homes stand to lose a lot.

you are right though, was difficult not having a house, make sure you're utilising multiple accounts and bank boxes.

Kreator

Neophyte
Utilizing multiple accounts and bank boxes is Ghetto UO. Which I have done. I feel limiting houses will limit the player base. Maybe that's what admins want?

Owyn

Administrator
Staff Member
Maybe the only reason I would leave this server. I love the new map but housing is very important.
It's unrealistic to expect that housing would be freely available on the world's largest and most active UO server. Alarm bells should be ringing if you could waltz in and drop a house.

We have a variety of options though: you can purchase a house from a player, you can win an IDOC, you can rent an Inn room while you raise the funds to purchase a house.

Kreator

Neophyte
I'v played UO since 1997 and played many free shards and have never had an issue with housing. Housing limitation should be base on gold (house prices), not population. Not taking away from the shard. I think the map is great and it's easy to tell that the admin put a lot of work into the shard. However Rental room system (which probably took many hours to implement is "just ok" but by no means compares to a house. IDOC yeh good luck.

rastaa

Neophyte
Get a caravan man!

i dont understand why people dont go for the vans..

its nice looking/style and ithas the same secure abd lockdown itens as the small ones

its 250k, ok.. but u gonna pay for a house that worth 250k.. i mean, u are not goingbe overpriced..

get a caravan,stablish yourself and u will be able to get which ever house u want, depending only about your efforts...

enjoy this server!

Insider BR

Neophyte
Is there a reason why IDOC is taking more than two hour to really decay the house? I've heard that from people and also witnessed taking longer than is suppost to.

Why are caravans 5 x the price of a small house, when they are meant to be what new players go for before buying a proper house?

Last edited:

Expo

Overseer
Staff Member
Caravans are actually not supposed to be a "first home." They were originally priced higher than a 8x8 because of the smaller footprint being able to block larger spots but over 2 years time and countless hours of play, player wealth has kind of made it a moot factor. I would definitely aim for an Inn Room first and then work your way up to a caravan or small house.

I wouldn't mind going to one house per IP but that's pretty much impossible now. Unfortunately we didn't know we were going to be this popular lol

Fair enough, there's no taurning back now and it wasn't forseeable, but can't you make caravans cheaper? Those guilds who are after every idoc they can find have enough money to buy caravans anyway, even if they were 500k. They sell the properties after a short time for much more money. It's only the younger players losing out here I believe.

BigSkook5780

Neophyte
I wrote a longer reply and it didn’t post...

I’m a new player and there’s very few places to find for placing a house. And to think of having to save so much to buy an existing house is just killer. The main point I had here is that players should not be taxed to own a house. But, a tax on a second house and incremental for additional houses would hopefully decrease the number of houses but still make it possible for new players to afford their first house. This tax would not only help the housing situation but the economy as well by getting more gold out of the system to slow inflation. This would help newer players as well.